Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marlborough Street Public Transport Priority Bridge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,244 ✭✭✭✭Victor

7 August 2012 - part 1.

7 August 2012 - part 2.

The concrete deck seems to be a working platform for the assembly of the bridge.

I'm wondering. Quite a few buses now make the turn from O'Connell Bridge northbound to Eden Quay. How should these routes be catered for. Sending them to Tara Street might not be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

I don't expect any change for northbound routes at all - why would they move those routes?

This bridge has frankly very limited applicability to bus services - I'm struggling to see which routes might use it unless the 14, 15 and 27 are all re-routed from Amiens Street and Georges Quay.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Victor wrote: »
    I'm wondering. Quite a few buses now make the turn from O'Connell Bridge northbound to Eden Quay. How should these routes be catered for. Sending them to Tara Street might not be great.

Drawings on the bridge only show two southbound lanes. Is this more of a BXD issue?

lxflyer wrote: »
    I don't expect any change for northbound routes at all - why would they move those routes?

Because Luas BXD removes the right turn on O'Connell Bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That causes issues for the 14, 15 and 27. The 27 could route via Winetavern St and the North Quays like the 151, but the other two will have to go via Fleet St, Townsend St and Tara St.

Also Swords Express will have to move their terminus, possibly to Custom House Quay.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

From what I heard at the weekend. This bridge will be built with NO Tram tracks and seemingly with no ducting for service related cabling of any sort and will have to be closed and dug up again for the Luas BXD project within 3 years.

Genius!

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    From what I heard at the weekend. This bridge will be built with NO Tram tracks and seemingly with no ducting for service related cabling of any sort and will have to be closed and dug up again for the Luas BXD project within 3 years.

Genius!

Do you think it would be cost effective to hire somebody to lay tracks for 50 meters?

It would be cost effective if the bridge did not have to be closed for a long period in future, yes. Dublin needs somewhere to park them buses while the lads read the Herald. :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

monument wrote: »
    Do you think it would be cost effective to hire somebody to lay tracks for 50 meters?

It was done for the Outer Ring Road / Citywest Luas, so clearly it is.

• Advertisement

To be fair, digging up the bridge to lay the track afterwards would probably be more disruptive and expensive.

They also did it with the Beckett Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Victor wrote: »
    7 August 2012 - part 2.

The concrete deck seems to be a working platform for the assembly of the bridge.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/2160/216772.jpg
    slightly off topic, but the road on the far side of the river,
    is that the road that leads up to close to the new Children's hospital? :confused:

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It leads up to Parnell Street.

The planned NCH site is on Eccles Street which does not run (even taking in to account bends and name changes) to the river at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

The Samuel Beckett bridge was built with "slots" (for want of better term) in place for any future tram tracks. These were filled in with Tarmac, but obviously are still there. See this photo from the following thread:

SBB_0205200903.jpg

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60111335&postcount=26

Bit of forward thinking like this would at least make life easier when it comes to building tram system. Aside form that ducting for Fibre should be in by default on any new build bridges/roads -- NRA already puts such ducts along new motorway builds.

We still don't know exactly what they are planning to do, and I'm not sure why the area where the tracks are going would be covered over that much given that the track bed area on the bridge is planned to be segregated and not shared running.

Re the Beckett Bridge -- bit of a difference in laying tracks and leaving it easy to lay them. And with the Outer Ring Road / Citywest Luas it was double the length and doing it after would mean a good bit of disruption -- in this case with the Marlborough Street bridge the closed off section is nearly exclusively going to be segregated anyway.

We still don't know exactly what they are planning to do, and I'm not sure why the area where the tracks are going would be covered over that much given that the track bed area on the bridge is planned to be segregated and not shared running.

Then there should be a set of tracks in the middle seeing as the segregation is up the middle.

But given that the the great bulk of the area of road closed off for the bridge works is within that fully segregated area, there's little difference putting in the tracks later this year or in a year or two.

Of course it should be left so it'll be easy to lay the tracks -- like it was with the Beckett Bridge above -- but putting the tracks in or not with the bridge works would seem to make very little difference.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Not a great amount of detail in the photos, but after seeing this thread and was down that way today, said i'd take what i could.

7833521290_53e852c435_z.jpg
    Marlborough Street Public Transport Priority Bridge by kceire, on Flickr

7833524632_b283647713_z.jpg

7833528070_2e4f076f70_z.jpg

Plenty of colour! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Sure it will be grand

Thanks for the pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

It will be interesting to see how this new bridge opens up and changes the commercial activity along Burgh and Eden Quays as well as Marlborough, Hawkins and D'Olier Streets.

I've noticed in the last few years more shops opening up along in these parts especially catering to or run by various minority ethnic communities. Hopefully it will lead to a regenration of the area along the lines of what you see on Parnell Street and Moore Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

It will also allow Marlborough and Hawkins to become pedestrian rat-runs to avoid O'Connell Bridge, which will greatly add to footfall and in turn increase the percepted level of safety there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

What does everyone think of the petition going around to get the new bridge named after Maeve Binchy?

PS. Not affiliated with the petition, but I think its fitting for it to be named in honour of one of Irelands recent writers. :)

Zhane wrote: »
    What does everyone think of the petition going around to get the new bridge named after Maeve Binchy?

PS. Not affiliated with the petition, but I think its fitting for it to be named in honour of one of Irelands recent writers. :)

There was a letter in the Times during the week suggesting naming it after William Rowan Hamilton, given that it will carry the BXD line to Broombridge it was an interesting suggestion!

William_Rowan_Hamilton_Plaque_-_geograph.org.uk_-_347941.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Next we'll be renaming Dublin Airport after Charles Haughey. Why can't we just call it something rudimentary and geographically appropriate like Marlborough Street Bridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Zhane

AngryLips wrote: »
    Next we'll be renaming Dublin Airport after Charles Haughey. Why can't we just call it something rudimentary and geographically appropriate like Marlborough Street Bridge?

Why would we call our Airport after Haughey?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

Can't imagine it won't follow recent convention of naming bridges after authors.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Telchak wrote: »
    Can't imagine it won't follow recent convention of naming bridges after authors.
    Typical Irish undervaluing of scientists. Without mathematics it's pretty hard to build railways and bridges.

• Advertisement

dowlingm wrote: »
    Typical Irish undervaluing of scientists. Without mathematics it's pretty hard to build railways and bridges.

After the death of Séamus Brennan supposedly the local party hacks in Dundrum wanted to rename the William Dargan Bridge after him. :eek:

Advertisement