Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Which Provider? What Type Of Broadband? Broadband In My Area? !!POST HERE ONLY!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

It's all questions and no answers in here...

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭CornsnakeKeeper

Probably and if i make a new thread it'll be locked *sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

I'm volunteering for a Youth Café in Dunmanway, Co. Cork, opens around two nights a week but is looking to open more often.
    Anyway, we're looking for a broadband provider, without a phone line. We've got three computers in the café, and we'd also want the visitors to be able to use WiFi on smartphones and similar devices.

What'd be the best solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Fyda

Hey, I'm looking for a broadband provider as well - preferrably UPC (bundle with TV and landline) but I'm not sure if they already cover Blackpool in Cork - I can't find my address on their web site and I'm already trying to phone them for a week (so far without success). So, does anybody know if they cover Blackpool? And do they use monitoring? Any other thing to know why or why not to choose them? Any recommendations/alternatives? Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭sitja

any one have an overall rating of eircom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

sitja wrote: »
    any one have an overall rating of eircom.
    1. 10/10 for their sales pitch and nice way of hiding extra charges.
    2. 2/10 for value for money.
    3. 3/10 for delivering close to their "up to" speeds.

5/10 over all.
    2.5/10 in all seriousness though.

Here's my 7Mb line:

1139930389.png

33699643.png

All well and good from Ireland, but beyond that it's dreadful.

2 months ago I ordered an upgrade to their 8Mb (fastest available here) NGB line. Still waiting on that, even though it was confirmed a week later.

I'm 10 miles from Dublin city, and still can't get a decent service from them. The lag on sites outside Ireland is woeful.
    Also, if you do decide to go with them, get yourself a decent DSL modem. The one they supply is crap.
    You cannot browse while using bittorrent while using their router.

In saying that, if you're outside any of the major cities, they're your only choice.
    I've tried almost every provider there is, and still end up back with Eircom because they do deliver a consistent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

Colm! wrote: »
    I'm volunteering for a Youth Café in Dunmanway, Co. Cork, opens around two nights a week but is looking to open more often.
    Anyway, we're looking for a broadband provider, without a phone line. We've got three computers in the café, and we'd also want the visitors to be able to use WiFi on smartphones and similar devices.

What'd be the best solution?

If you can't get anything from the phone line, check on UPC's website to see if they have service in your area.
    Otherwise, mobile midband from 3, Vodafone or O2 is your next option, while using an inexpensive 3G Wireless Router to share the signal around the caff.
    Fyda wrote: »
    Hey, I'm looking for a broadband provider as well - preferrably UPC (bundle with TV and landline) but I'm not sure if they already cover Blackpool in Cork - I can't find my address on their web site and I'm already trying to phone them for a week (so far without success). So, does anybody know if they cover Blackpool? And do they use monitoring? Any other thing to know why or why not to choose them? Any recommendations/alternatives? Thanks! :)

As far as I'm aware, they do cover that area. Try contacting them again.
    By monitoring, I'm assuming you mean usage, and yes, they do. They have no worries about send excess usage letters, and in some cases charging extra after that. However, their usage limits are far nicer than any DSL provider. 120GB for a 10mbps connection, all the way up to 500GB for a 100mbps connection.

Many people don't like UPC due to their accused negligent business practices. It doesn't bother me though. I'd rather be with UPC than with a shockingly bad provider such as Eircom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 riddler95

Iam hearing a lot of adds lately for Imagine up to 10meg bband and offer sounds to good to be true... We are with Eircom at the moment and the add for Imagine compares with Eircom and states you could save up to 300 euro. Any Imagine customers here have any problems with them?
    Living in South Dublin
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭BulliteShot

What's the best broadband in sligo town for gaming? I need no lag and if it's got decent download quotas, i'll pay anything up to €100

I'd be fairly sure UPC have rolled out services in sligo town. If thats the case, theres a 10, 20, and 30mb connection there. The 30mb is fine for gaming, and costs 42 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭Eoin_Sheehy

Terry wrote: »
    1. 10/10 for their sales pitch and nice way of hiding extra charges.
    2. 2/10 for value for money.
    3. 3/10 for delivering close to their "up to" speeds.

5/10 over all.
    2.5/10 in all seriousness though.

Here's my 7Mb line:

1139930389.png

33699643.png

All well and good from Ireland, but beyond that it's dreadful.

2 months ago I ordered an upgrade to their 8Mb (fastest available here) NGB line. Still waiting on that, even though it was confirmed a week later.

I'm 10 miles from Dublin city, and still can't get a decent service from them. The lag on sites outside Ireland is woeful.
    Also, if you do decide to go with them, get yourself a decent DSL modem. The one they supply is crap.
    You cannot browse while using bittorrent while using their router.

In saying that, if you're outside any of the major cities, they're your only choice.
    I've tried almost every provider there is, and still end up back with Eircom because they do deliver a consistent service.
    I'm 20 minutes out of Cork city and I'd kill for 6Mb/s!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

In dublin 9. Looking for wireless broadband. Would prefer a 6 month contract as im emigrating. Any suggestions? What is the view on pay as you go?

In dublin 9. Looking for wireless broadband. Would prefer a 6 month contract as im emigrating. Any suggestions? What is the view on pay as you go?

I'm assuming you mean mobile midband, not wireless broadband.

Mobile midband is too expensive, ping times are shocking, and generally not the most reliable. However, it does have the advantage of being mobile. In regards which is the best provider/package to go with, you would get a better answer in the midband forum here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    I'm in Lackagh, Galway (near Claregalway). Currently with Perlico so pay €40 odd for landline phone & broadband. I plan to ditch the landline (will use our mobiles for calls) and am looking for a cheap broadband option.

I download (legally, of course) occasionally but not massive amounts. maybe 5 albums and 5 films a month.
    Besides that just use it for browsing internet (no streaming etc).

1. I presume my best/cheapest option is 'broadband to go'?
    2. what websites will give me a comparioson of companies offerings and availablility in my area?
    3. I've heard of people having connection issues etc. Most companies offer '14 day free trial', are these as free as they state?
    4. Contention ratio, broadband speed are important, what else?
    5. Three have: 15GB for €19.99 per month, seems reasonable.
    Cheers,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

1188917769.png

36274747.png

Dublin 8, on the Liffey just south of Smithfield.

UPC 30mbit. It's OK, but the limits are killing me (plenty of people living here).

Thinking about switching to Magnet, but I've heard horror stories...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

What's the latency like for Digiweb Metro? I'm sick of my ****ty 1Mb ADSL connection and would like something faster (UPC aren't available in my area), as long as the latency is good enough (<120 preferably)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What's the latency like for Digiweb Metro?

Generally it's under 50ms, and possibly as good as 20ms.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

Just switched to Magnet (24mbit), we'll see in a few weeks how that pans out... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 32,972 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

anyone know of a website that will show you your available broadband options in your area?

Callcosts is always recommended but it shows up loads of providers who definitely do not provide broadband in Donegal. Bit of a useless website for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭Notch000

hi looking for above on pay as you go

options seem to be...........

vodafone
    three
    & meteor

ive heard THREE are useless so im dropping them. This leaves me with the other three options voda,o2&met

i can find any comparision of these anywhere, they seem similiarly priced, ? what do people think? i only need it for about the next two months so not awefull bothereed,

metero have a 9.99 special on refurbished dongles at the moment so might go with them, they have another option of a E182 dongle as opposed to the an E173, no details are giving on these tho, whats the difference and is it worh 40cost, the monthly cost of 20E for 7Gb sounds good enpought for me......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Does Digiweb supply a modem and a router or just a modem with their Metro packages?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Razzer87

My parents are with eircom at the moment in Kinsale and its sh*te; internet basically turns off at peak time every day... Anyone know of a good alternative in the area?

Looking at http://www.getbroadband.ie/ seems to show that digiweb is good, but I'm not sure of how accurate that site is.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭QuadLeo

I'm just wondering what type of speeds I could expect to get on UPC 10Mb in the Sandymount/Ballsbridge area. I've been told that I won't get anything near the full 10Mb/sec. Is this true? And if so, are any of you using UPC in this area and what speeds do you get? I had eircom 8Mb "next gen" in another house and I always got the full 8Mb which I found fast enough for my own use. Would UPC 10Mb compare well to eircom 8Mb?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

The UPC connection should be much better than eircom if you can get UPC in your area as they don't use phone lines for service it has much more performance than an eircom connection will have UPC use cable to provide internet access where as eircom use copper wire which can be problematic..

UPC will give you much better service (in nearly all cases) versus eircom and its cheaper too download limits are not as strict also..

if you can get UPC id say go for it..i wish i could get it as soon as i can ill be getting it in straight away:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

What's the best broadband in sligo town for gaming? I need no lag and if it's got decent download quotas, i'll pay anything up to €100

Hey, moving up to Sligo next week. Will be outside the upc broadband availability area so looking at other options and don't think we have a phone line. Did you get you broadband in the end? Any ideas as to who is the best for the Sligo Town area?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭force majeure

how many people use[d] digiweb satellite system for the Internet and what comments might you have on it.
    Tanks in advance....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

NIMAN wrote: »
    anyone know of a website that will show you your available broadband options in your area?

Callcosts is always recommended but it shows up loads of providers who definitely do not provide broadband in Donegal. Bit of a useless website for me.

Try bonkers.ie

how many people use[d] digiweb satellite system for the Internet and what comments might you have on it.
    Tanks in advance....

Generally, Satellite connections have much higher latencies.
    Satellite would be considered Midband, not Broadband. You'd get some further responses on Satellite here. :)

Hey, moving up to Sligo next week. Will be outside the upc broadband availability area so looking at other options and don't think we have a phone line. Did you get you broadband in the end? Any ideas as to who is the best for the Sligo Town area?

How far from Sligo town are you? And by any chance, do you know how far you are from the exchange?
    Magnet might be a very good option for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Anyone got a link to UPC showing where there broadband service is available.

I can't for the life of me see it on their website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭sirreally

Is there a general consensus on which company provides the best home broadband service? Work will be paying for it, so cost is not an issue. I live in city centre Dublin so I think I can access any service.

The main features I'm looking for are:
    • Speed
    • Reliability
    • Will be sharing wi-fi access so not mobile broadband
    • Reasonable download limits (can't imagine needing > 100Gb per month)
    • Not interested in bundling with phone or TV services, don't want line rental charges
    • Half-decent customer service

A friend of mine is an agent for UPC and Imagine, so I'll put the business through him if one of their packages is up there with the best of them.

Many thanks!

Advertisement