Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Newstalk Sport coverage farce

• 22-08-2010 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone listening to the Sunday afternoon show? We just got treated to 5 mins of "off-air" commentary (I use the word advisedly) from Ger Gilroy of the GAA for which they paid no money. Meanwhile the Premier League coverage which they have paid for was simply ignored until the whislte blew at Croke Park at which point the Fulham - Manchester Utd came back. They really do have little but contempt for the listener.

Anyone who wanted to listen to the Gaelic would have already have been tuned to RTE radio not Newstalk, which repeat has no rights for live GAA coverage.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

They probably looked at it from a ratings point of view and didn't want to lose listeners with people switching over from the to catch the end of the game on Radio 1.

Bog-ball is as popular, if not more popular, than The Premiership over here.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I pointed this thread out to Ger himself (via twitter).

His response: "Can't please everyone all the time. We missed less than 60 seconds of the 2nd half."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

[mod edit - personal insult deleted]

Wouldn't give much credence to any of his output.

Staccato delivery and rubbish don't mix in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Apparently, Newstalk is going all out to get rights to cover GAA matches next season http://www.independent.ie/sport/hurling/rte-faces-battle-to-rule-radio-airwaves-2307232.html . But I take your point it is all a bit TalkSport-like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Does that mean no PL coverage? Today FM have Saturday 3 pm and the GAA obviously clashes with the two Sunday games. The could try for Monday evening rights as that now appears to be a permenant fixture thanks to SKYs dosh. It would have the added advantage of keeping the posh boys of OTB off the air for half the show! :p

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

mike65 wrote: »
    Anyone listening to the Sunday afternoon show? We just got treated to 5 mins of "off-air" commentary (I use the word advisedly) from Ger Gilroy of the GAA for which they paid no money. Meanwhile the Premier League coverage which they have paid for was simply ignored until the whislte blew at Croke Park at which point the Fulham - Manchester Utd came back. They really do have little but contempt for the listener.

Anyone who wanted to listen to the Gaelic would have already have been tuned to RTE radio not Newstalk, which repeat has no rights for live GAA coverage.
    its a sports show,get over it!!!!

Well reasoned - not, did you actually read what I said? I asked for a table and newstalk brought me a lampshade, to borrow a phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭rodrob111

It was an exciting game of football with a great finish. I think he was right to cover it. It is the national sport. I'm a huge follower of soccer but missing a couple of minutes at the start of the second half is not the end of the world.

there trying to keep there listeners,a sizeable porportion being dubs,up to date on the semi final of our national sport.
    how much of the utd-fulham game did you actually miss?
    today fm cut from there live coverage on a saturday to report on other matches,dont really see the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

I do see where your coming from but I would not agree that it is a "farce" or that they "have little but contempt for the listener". Words like that are over the top!

Surely you can see why they cut away to the All-Ireland semi final (contested by our two largest populated counties) for 5 minutes?

• Advertisement

you also took the time out from listening to the match to set up this thread at 5.16,the match couldnt have been that interesting so!:rolleyes:

Lame, I have ears you know. Radio = ears, typeing = eyes. I multi-task I do.

surely you can follow both gaa and soccer so!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Lame, I have ears you know. Radio = ears, typeing = eyes. I multi-task I do.

How do you type with your eyes. I wish I could do that :(

surely you can follow both gaa and soccer so!!!

Not when one is not on the air I can't, I have no interest in Gaa, I was following the football game which Newstalk scheduled for coverage. You appear to have missed the entire point of this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

Not when one is not on the air I can't, I have no interest in Gaa, I was following the football game which Newstalk scheduled for coverage. You appear to have missed the entire point of this thread.

Build a bridge dude. A sports show cut from one sport to another sport during the course of a sports show...oh the humanity, I'm sure you're beloved premiership team won't miss you for a few minutes...

dont you mean soccer,gaa is football.

No I mean football, its football. Gaelic Football is something else again. Like American football is, or Aussie Rules is.

Sorry but I will not yeild to numpty arguments on this sort of thing. The only good news is that the GAA summer is nearly over. Newstalk won't give the sport another thought until the next Championship once the finals are out the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

dont you mean soccer,gaa is football.

No, Football is football, gaa is an abomination.

why would they give it a second thought,when there arent going to be any games played.the coverage they give gaa during the week on off the ball is brilliant.
    if soccer is so important why dont you get sky and pay dearly for the privilige and listen to jamie and co.
    the sports shows on saturdays and sundays on newstalk are very good as is off the ball during the week.
    you cant really complain when it costs you NOTHING.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

In general Newstalk sports coverage is excellent, especially the hilarious Off The Ball... If they slipped up today by missing bits of the GAA then it was an aberration.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Magpie87

I think they went for the rights last time out but the GAA aren't about to take the radio rights away from RTE and anger a lot of people.

What do expect them to do if they don't have the rights to the All-Ireland Championship as pointed out by someone else ?

They cover the live sport that they have the rights to well.

Your point is moot.

Magpie87 wrote: »

What do expect them to do if they don't have the rights to the All-Ireland Championship as pointed out by someone else ?

They cover the live sport that they have the rights to well.

This is actually a slightly side issue but an important one, Newstalk do not have any rights for GAA commentary and yet they used an underhand off-air method to do just that. The GAA could in theory have a word with Newstalk about this breaking of rights for which RTE paid though I doubt they will!

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

they used an underhand off-air method

Can you explain the method they used? I didn't hear the broadcast and I don't get what you mean when you say "off air".

Off-air may not be exactly the right term.

Anyway what I'm referring to is the practice of Newstalk of commenting from a screen in the studio (yesterday was not the first time by a long chalk, OTB does it of Champions League games at times). "From air" may be a better term!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I've been saying for years that Newstalk weekend Sports shows are a farce and amateur at best, If they do go for GAA rights which they need badly they should go for Saturday qualifer matches, i would think their Saturday show has low figures what with RTE having live Gaa live Racing etc.. and Today Fm Live Premier League, no one would need to listen to Newstalk at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Badabing wrote: »
    I've been saying for years that Newstalk weekend Sports shows are a farce and amateur at best, If they do go for GAA rights which they need badly they should go for Saturday qualifer matches, i would think their Saturday show has low figures what with RTE having live Gaa live Racing etc.. and Today Fm Live Premier League, no one would need to listen to Newstalk at all.

I agree with that, Off The Ball is a great show Monday - Thursday (not so much on Fridays), but their weekend sports are a mess.

RTE at the weekends are much more professional in getting updates on scores, results etc. Newstalk spend ages trailing prerecorded interviews which, when they finally arrive, are usually bland and little more than time fillers.

The Newstalk Premier League commentary last week (Liverpool v Arsenal) was awful - two lads watching Sky Sports with the sound on mute, didn't hear it yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

This is actually a slightly side issue but an important one, Newstalk do not have any rights for GAA commentary and yet they used an underhand off-air method to do just that. The GAA could in theory have a word with Newstalk about this breaking of rights for which RTE paid though I doubt they will!

What about Gillette Soccer Saturday that shows 4 guys looking at matches on screens and commentating.

Surely that's "underhanded" too as they don't have the rights to Saturday 3pm games?

But you won't criticise that, will you? Cause it's soccer, not Gaelic Football.

You have a gripe with the Irish language too I've seen. Why live here if our culture upsets you so much?

SkidMark

Yesterday they had two games, the first was woeful (Paddy Mulligan as pundit/co-commentator saw to that) the second better but as I missed the very start I'm not sure if that was "in house" like the first or a proper job.

Kraggy lets keep your political view of me out of this thread eh? Its football ask the "soccer forum" - we had a poll and the F word won. :) BTW Soccer Saturday does not provide ball-by-ball commentary on the games just amusing punditary/reactions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Kraggy wrote:
    What about Gillette Soccer Saturday that shows 4 guys looking at matches on screens and commentating.

Surely that's "underhanded" too as they don't have the rights to Saturday 3pm games?

But you won't criticise that, will you? Cause it's soccer, not Gaelic Football.

He won't discuss it because it's TV and not Radio and this is the radio forum.

Also, this really isn't the place for discussion on whether it's called "soccer" or "football".

The thread is about Newstalk's sports coverage. Kraggy et al, get over it and stay on topic please.

Advertisement