Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TUF 19 - Penn, Edgar + Pendred & Fields! **Spoilers**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Just watched it, nice few fights, felt bad for the French guy going home when lesser fighters got through but I guess that's the way it goes. Had to laugh when conor said luck of the irish.

Did I read something here that fields had an injury going into the fight?

Also, of the thousands of people who applied for the show, surely one person would have been ready to be called up to fight ca-haawl ?

Can't wait to see his fight next week!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Cathal Pendred's TUF blog. Explains how he ended up getting a bye into the house and also sheds light on Nordine Taleb's crossover to TUF Nations.

themmacorner.com/2014/04/16/cathal-pendreds-ultimate-fighter-19-blog-week-one/

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭csallmighty

Glad to see the knockout in the trailers wasn't Pendred. He has a slight advantage now being fresh but it could also be detrimental the first fight can settle nerves and help with sharpness.

Looked like Fields was losing until the other guys injury but a win is a win.

Already annoyed with the Cathal pronunciation :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Sorry if this has been mentioned already, but wasn't that French guy on TUF Nations - Canada vs. Australia?

EDIT: Sorry I can see it was mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭sdowling04

Really looking forward to this now. Cathal looks in great shape and it looks to be quite a war from the preview. Kinda worried about the big uppercut shown at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Should be good fight, he has a lot to prove getting into the house without fighting.

(I not taking anything away from him before anyone jumps down my throat over it)

I assumed it was cause he had title he got a pass

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

dave1982 wrote: »
    I assumed it was cause he had title he got a pass
    His opponent slipped getting out of the bath making weight and couldn't fight.
    They was 2 alternates ready, but both felled through - missed weight and injury respectively.
    Just a lucky series of events

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 382 ✭✭Cyber Ghost

Man that guy Chris Fields blew hard. Absolutely terrible performance. Never been a more accurate example of the luck of the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Man that guy Chris Fields blew hard. Absolutely terrible performance. Never been a more accurate example of the luck of the Irish.

Did you see the full fight??

Bit unfair to say he 'blew' based on the very short edit that was presented to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

John_D80 wrote: »
    Did you see the full fight??

Bit unfair to say he 'blew' based on the very short edit that was presented to us.

Was it a short edit? I thought it was a short fight in general! I thought he was getting beaten yes but he was also coming back into the fight and was throwing some good shots

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

With all due respect to chris field's and i'd hope i'm wrong and he goes on and does well ,i just can't see him getting past his next fight.
    He doesn't look up to this level of competition at all ,we have a way to go before we have a few top mma fighters in ireland .Hopefully there's some coming through but chris fields doesn't look up to it at all .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Is the next ep on tonight or tomorrow?

Tomorrow night i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

amkin25 wrote: »
    With all due respect to chris field's and i'd hope i'm wrong and he goes on and does well ,i just can't see him getting past his next fight.
    He doesn't look up to this level of competition at all ,we have a way to go before we have a few top mma fighters in ireland .Hopefully there's some coming through but chris fields doesn't look up to it at all .

Fields had a popped rib going into that fight:

https://twitter.com/IrishMMAFan1/status/456763163229556736

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Fields had a popped rib going into that fight.

I knew I read that somewhere before, that would definitely explain it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Underestimate Chris Fields at your own peril. The chap has terrifying kicks. I don't know much about his ground-game, but if he can get a fight that stays on the feet, he could go really far.

I think it was pointed out in Cathal's blog post
    that the knee that popped on Fields' opponent was the same knee/leg he had been working with kicks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,748 ✭✭✭rolexeagle1

c'mon KAZ!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Anyone watching this? Don't like that Urbina lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Cathal's lack of head movement has gotta be a concern moving forward, he took some pretty big shots in that first round. Showed some great heart to stay in the fight after being rocked. Did exactly what he needed to do in the third round. Delighted to see him win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

Thought the knees were going to finish the fight in the wrong way. Good to see him going through but seemed to lack any ideas in the third other than hold him down

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Just watched ep2 there.
    Cathal did very well to come back after that uppercut in R1, it looked like he was pretty much out for a second or two. I thought his striking looked pretty slow and clumsy if I'm being honest, although after the first round he did a very a good job of out-wrestling an american-trained wrestler. Although he was clearly dominant after R1, I thought he could have made more of an effort to work a submission or land telling strikes instead of seemingly being happy to take Urbina down and control him.

If Cathal has aspirations of being successful in the UFC proper, then he should be making lighter work of fighters like Urbina.

Am I being too harsh?

Am I the only one who thinks he should be a lot faster coming up from Welterweight, half the fight looked slow motion.
    Mazzagatti got it right though it was a hard fought decision and he showed an unreal amount of heart in that fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

I also thought he seemed very slow and lacked ideas. I almost felt like I was watching Mark Coleman...

• Registered Users Posts: 38,998 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

hefferboi wrote: »
    Anyone watching this? Don't like that Urbina lad.

Racist

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I also thought he seemed very slow and lacked ideas. I almost felt like I was watching Mark Coleman...

Lacking ideas?? He was obviously a round down after 1. He needed to win the next two rounds aftdr which he did. What ideas should he of come up with. His game plan worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Pretty easy win but there's so much more to come from Cathal, i thought he looked very rusty in there.

As for Hector, i think he spent most of the third trying to entice Cathal into an illegal knee, after Mazagatti had warned him during the break

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

scudzilla wrote: »
    Pretty easy win but there's so much more to come from Cathal, i thought he looked very rusty in there.

As for Hector, i think he spent most of the third trying to entice Cathal into an illegal knee, after Mazagatti had warned him during the break

I hate it when people play the system like that. I remember in the GSP Hendricks fight when Hendricks was doing that Herb was trying to discourage him from doing it which I thought was really cool.

• Advertisement

Glad he got past him but i can't see his style ever being successful in the ufc that just cut jake shields also cut okami, fitch these type of fighters dont last in the ufc.
    He needs more offense when in control he tends to just lie on top of guys a lot i noticed that in some of his other fights, hes always gonna be a wrestler more than a stand up fighter but hes gotta be an exciting wrestler to last, that means lots of elbows and punches when u got someone down .
    Hopefully he improves in the house and becomes a bit more offensive with some help from bj.

Advertisement