Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Ian Dempsey Show... time for a reboot?

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

In fairness, the show is aimed at the 40+ age group..... change and you may lose a chunk of your listenership.

For "Dad" radio, I think its ok

If thats the case how come I actually liked the show around 10 years ago when I was 26 and now that I'm 36 and closer to the supposed target audience I can't stand it? :p
    I stopped listening a good few years ago mostly because of Paul Collins. That and the supposed banter with the AA Roadwatch people.
    I tried Ryan Tubridy on the Full Irish for a while and got tired of him relatively quickly. Then it was onto Newstalk (once Claire Byrne left) and apart from leaving for Spin 103.8 when Nora Casey was on (ggrrrr couldn't abide the woman) I've stayed put. I like Ivan and Chris.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Ah Iano is alright, it's grand brain dead listening first thing in the morning.

TBF, it's a fairly standard format for breakfast radio. Some 'funnies' banter and producers chatting on the show. It's like that on a lot of american radio, and when I bother to listen to Dutch breakfast radio in the car it's pretty much the same only a different language.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

What a pile of ****e that gift grub has become. A load of screaming and screeching over a blur track this morning. Bloody torture on the ears.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,031 ✭✭✭✭neris

Dargull wrote: »
    What a pile of ****e that gift grub has become. A load of screaming and screeching over a blur track this morning. Bloody torture on the ears.

Agree. Its well past its sell by date and the characters are crap now. The bertie character made it and they should have scrapped it wen he was booted out

The 8 oclock news on his show is extremely long. Then the cringing banter with "bgosh n bgora" collins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I remember driving to work one day, maybe around 2006 and laughing at Gift Grub. That was the last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

PaulieC wrote: »
    I remember driving to work one day, maybe around 2006 and laughing at Gift Grub. That was the last time.

They were hit and miss for the next few years but have been shocking lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

PaulieC wrote: »

I normally flick through them on the podcasts and get s laugh here and there..... But not a laugh since November

Saw a few minutes of mario on late late last night. Awful stuff. Telling the same gags that were on gift grub during week.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Ya I love Ian and I have been listening to him since the 2FM days.
    I used to love the Gift Grub slots, they were usually very funny but lately he is very poor. A 5 minute slot each morning at 8.15 would suffice, but its replayed the following morning at 7.20 and then on the Tv shows and then unbelivabley rehashed at the live shows. He is turning it into a money grabbing exercise.
    Like who finds jokes and humour funny the 4th time they hear it.
    I was given tickets for xmas a few years ago to the INEC in Killarney, I couldnt get over the amount of repeated gags, surely he could have come up with original stuff. You hear it for free on the radio yet people are willing to pay 35 euro to hear it again. Mario is talented there is no doubt but maybe too much of something is a bad thing.
    I also went to see Oliver Callan at the INEC and I was very pleasently surprised at how good he was and he had very original and very funny material.

• Advertisement
Advertisement