Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

TV LICENCE INSPECTOR???

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

sligoface wrote: »
    After moving back from the States, I was at first relieved to live in a society where people cannot own guns. Until I heard about the TV license inspector. You wouldn't have many people signing up to do that job in Philadelphia, to be sure.

Reminds me of a joke that in south africa the fine for shooting a trespasser is half of that for not having a TV licence. I doubt its true but it would be funny if it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

If I were a TV licence inspector I'd dress up as robocop . The old one . And pull of the funny facial expressions when he was sitting in his chair getting really engry. .... I'd say things like..... Stay out of trouble...... If they didn't have licence I'd shoot them and say .... Your move creep. .oh I'd love it, id do the slow robotic moves an all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

We've been 19 years without one.
    Inspector has never called and until he does or they enforce the charge on every house like the household charge we've no intension to get one.

This is our third address and no knock at the door

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Don't know if it has been mentioned already, but you,can pay for a tv licence by the month.
    Got my forst tv licence in about 8 years a few weeks back. That's the way I am paying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Get rid of the telly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Get rid of the telly.

I'd prefer to get rid of RTE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Oprahs_Vagina

Get rid of the telly.

Why ? It's their property :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭SIX PACK

I think everything boils down to this vital question.

Could you live with the shame

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ezekel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

SIX PACK wrote: »
    I think everything boils down to this vital question

Could you live with the shame ?

Everything boils down to pernickety grammar police swoops

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

For entertainment purposes :D

This video is so funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

last year i had a very nasty letter from an post. name incorrectly spelled. ditto address. threatening me with instant jail as i had no tv licence.

i have no tv and actually they send me a free tv licence as i am a pensioner.

they had not checked properly and i tripped them into admitting it was a tip off...eejit local nasty thought my digiweb dish was tv

left an post feeling the worse for wear...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

It's amazing how people think they shouldn't pay the license while they still use the services. The funding from the tv license keeps a whole industry in ireland going, while still providing new, weather reports, the occasional good program on rte, TG4 for those so inclined, coverage of matches, and radio. The fee is seen as optional, but it shouldn't be, it's important that we have a national broadcaster..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,318 ✭✭✭✭Menas

It's amazing how people think they shouldn't pay the license while they still use the services. The funding from the tv license keeps a whole industry in ireland going, while still providing new, weather reports, the occasional good program on rte, TG4 for those so inclined, coverage of matches, and radio. The fee is seen as optional, but it shouldn't be, it's important that we have a national broadcaster..

Its important that we have a national broadcaster but the one we have is so ****.
    Too many tv channels. Just one would do for me.
    Little worth watching on there bar the news, election coverage and Love Hate.
    Over paid presenters.
    Chatshows that mostly interview other RTE 'stars'.
    2fm (no more needs saying).

Give me just one tv channel that is well run and value for money and I would bet people would be a lot happier paying the tv licence.

And don't get me started on the new broadcasting charge!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Its important that we have a national broadcaster but the one we have is so ****.
    Too many tv channels. Just one would do for me.
    Little worth watching on there bar the news, election coverage and Love Hate.
    Over paid presenters.
    Chatshows that mostly interview other RTE 'stars'.
    2fm (no more needs saying).

Give me just one tv channel that is well run and value for money and I would bet people would be a lot happier paying the tv licence.

And don't get me started on the new broadcasting charge!

Going to reply not directly to you, and just outline what I feel on the situation, so if I say you it's in the broader sense of the word!

I agree I agree! As public broadcasters they have the obligation to create content for the public, I sometimes wonder exactly where my content is, but then again everyone once in a while there is something that I do want to watch, in amongst all the terrible stuff. Lots of mediocre presenters getting huge money, and interviewing Z listers.. and I can't listen to 2fm because the ****e they put on it.

But, outside of rte, the sound and vision fund does make good content though, and it gets its funding from the tv license.

Even though they p*ss away money in rte, a part from the presenters getting $$$$$$$$$, the rest is fairly well spent, being that there's some kind of content made for the different demographics..

The new broadcasting charge is basically just tv license with no option of not paying, obviously thousands will still not pay it. Everyone is exposed to the media that the funding goes towards, and it's unfair that some people wouldn't pay this charge.. If they don't like some of the content that is made by rte, then it probably wasnt intended for them anyway, but there'll be something else for them as the broadcaster is obligated to entertain, inform, and educate the public. If they're not doing that then you can report RTE to the BAI and they'll review the situation to see if you're actually not being represented.

Obviously that sound a bit romantic that they'd listen, but they do police rte fairly closely to make sure they're creating content for the people. If there's not a lot of content for say 18-24 year old males it's because they've realised that that age group don't watch daytime tv, or fridays from 8pm etc etc, and instead just make the midweek movie, or something, suitable for them to make sure they're getting their fair share of content.

Whereas they have all that crap on during the day talking about menial things on panels, tabloid tv, because the demographic who watch tv during that time suit that content. Also it's cheap to make, each episode would be a matter of <10k, compared to the 100k they could spend per hour of documentary.

It's a pity people compare RTE to their favourite satellite channel, where rte only has the news, weather, and occasional good program, but realistically there can't be a situation where rte has content you like all the time. Talking TV. The radio situation is fairly different.

I've written all this and kind of want to delete it because someone will definitely nitpick something but it's all my understanding of how it works, and as things go it's a lot more efficient than where other money goes from taxes, in that content actually gets made and some of it suits me personally:
    And the reason the TV license (or broadcasting charge) has to be kept separate and not just hidden inside some other tax, is so that the government can't mess with it. The money is collected by the BAI, and given to RTE, the V&S, TG4, etc etc. RTE do with it what they want, and they just so happen to spend a lot of it on presenters, but the people running RTE would be spending the same amount of money either way. Yes it would be better to spend those millions on more good content, but good content for who? The way they have it worked out, those presenters are content for SOME demographic (finding me someone who will admit to liking some of those people would be difficult, but still). Either way RTE is run like a business and although it may seem mad from the outside to be paying people thousands of euros for what seems like little work, must make sense to them from a business point of view.

Jesus this is getting a bit long winded

TL;DR,
    RTE have an obligation to provide content for the different audiences of Ireland. A lot of content is crap because it wasn't made for you. A lot of the tv license charge DOESNT go to rte, and is spent on irish film, radio, orchestra, etc. They seem like they piss away money but compared to a lot of things in ireland, it's fairly efficient.

Advertisement