Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Many Catholics 'do not believe' church teachings

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

It's a piece of journalism. Catholicism is sexy because it is clearly defined in many ways - it's designed to make things clear -

Some Christians don't practice Christian virtues, but not all.

Some Muslims don't practice Muslim virtues, but not all.

Some Atheists act religiously, but not all.

Some Stoics act stoically, but not all.

Some Buddhists practice Buddhist virtue, but not all.

People are people - If they say they are Catholic Christians, Atheist, Muslim, Christian etc. etc. than be careful about judging them without looking in the mirror first, and removing the plank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    So the Pope is not a Catholic?

Do you accept that might be a possibility or do you believe that it is the Pope who defines what Catholicism is?

I accept that it's possible, I absolutely do not accept that it is possible as a result of entering a synagogue. You seem to throw the label of heresy around very easily. I wouldn't mind seeing your answer to Sonics2k question either about who "the oldest enemy of the church is" either.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭HamletOrHecuba

I accept that it's possible, I absolutely do not accept that it is possible as a result of entering a synagogue. You seem to throw the label of heresy around very easily. I wouldn't mind seeing your answer to Sonics2k question either about who "the oldest enemy of the church is" either.

I didnt say he was a heretic as such- I just stated what the Apostolic Canons which he knows state.

If you want to know who the oldest enemy of the Church is than read the New Testament.

Who needs friends........when you have enemies like these? Really, Catholics believing that the Pope who wrote 'Jesus of Nazareth' is the anti-Christ? You are slandering a good man Hamlet, why are you a doomsday merchant when you seem rather smart instead of a 'joy' merchant? - not to mention the amount of people who aren't Catholic on the thread, who have an opinion on Catholics -

Well, I guess it's better to be looked over than over looked.

lmaopml wrote: »
    Who needs friends........when you have enemies like these? Really, Catholics believing that the Pope who wrote 'Jesus of Nazareth' is the anti-Christ? You are slandering a good man Hamlet, why are you a doomsday merchant when you seem rather smart instead of a 'joy' merchant? - not to mention the amount of people who aren't Catholic on the thread, who have an opinion on Catholics -

Well, I guess it's better to be looked over than over looked.

"Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness."

James 4:9.

“Woe unto you that laugh now! For ye shall mourn and weep.”

Luke 6:25

And yet blessed are those who mourn...

Slander involves telling lies; geogrie as far as I can tell has told lies; have I? The Canons of the Holy Apostles and the Pope's vist to that place are facts, public facts, not things that I have come across secretly or are hidden from view. Can you show me where I have committed slander?

• Advertisement

Really, Catholics believing that the Pope who wrote 'Jesus of Nazareth' is the anti-Christ?

Where did I say that anyone was the Antichrist?

"Be afflicted, and mourn, and weep: let your laughter be turned to mourning, and your joy to heaviness."

Slander involves telling lies; geogrie as far as I can tell has told lies; have I? The Canons of the Holy Apostles and the Pope's vist to that place are facts, public facts, not things that I have come across secretly or are hidden from view. Can you show me where I have committed slander?

You thought they weren't acting with generosity of heart and peace, and love towards their neighbour, even their enemy, but 'praying' to another God.

That's not true. You misinterpreted a peaceful gesture, a goodwill gesture, for an evil one.

You thought they weren't acting with generosity of heart and peace, and love towards their neighbour, even their enemy, but 'praying' to another God.

That's not true. You misinterpreted a peaceful gesture, a goodwill gesture, for an evil one.

Did I say that though? Are you not reading in motivations that are not there, or at least may not be there? Could that not be the type of judging that the Bible condemns?

Speculating on people's motivations is dangerous; let us consider us the fact that this action is condemned by Holy Tradition, and very possibly by the Apostles themselves, that it causes scandal, that it may well lead jews to believe that they dont need Christ; objectively how could the act be anything but evil? Subjectively the motivations may have been pure, but how can we know? The canon doesnt stipulate about motivations however.

Did I say that though? Are you not reading in motivations that are not there, or at least may not be there? Could that not be the type of judging that the Bible condemns?

Speculating on people's motivations is dangerous; let us consider us the fact that this action is condemned by Holy Tradition, and very possibly by the Apostles themselves, that it causes scandal, that it may well lead jews to believe that they dont need Christ; objectively how could the act be anything but evil? Subjectively the motivations may have been pure, but how can we know? The canon doesnt stipulate about motivations however.

If you are Catholic, by faith you know. The Church is not only the Canon, but only a vehicle towards Christ, nothing more or less. It's not God. It only contains the people of God and points the way.

If you are Catholic, by faith you know. The Church is not only the Canon, but only a vehicle towards Christ, nothing more or less. It's not God. It only contains the people of God and points the way.

By faith you know what exactly?

No canons are not Divine, no more than Scripture is, no more than anything created is; however they do point the way- and being created being limited by time and space we need tradition, canons and scripture to orientate us. We need standards to judge, and God has given us them through His Church.

• Advertisement

If you are Catholic, by faith you know.

Are you saying by faith you know the personal motivations of the Pope? Can you produce anything to substantiate that?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Brer Fox

What lies has Georgie told?

The address of Pope Benedict given at the synagogue in Cologne is available here. It's a fine speech and should help answer any questions as to his motivation.

A visit by a German pope to a German synagogue is a powerful gesture of reconciliation between Christians and Jews, as well as a recognition of the remarkable revival of Jewish life in Germany in the last 2 decades. Given that in the Pope's own lifetime, millions of Jews were murdered by a German government the visit takes on extra significance.

Your saying that "If you want to know who the oldest enemy of the Church is than read the New Testament" strikes me as a classic example of weasel words. Why don't you just come out and say who you are referring to? You questioned my implication that you were referring to the Jews (based on the anti-Jewish sentiments expressed in your previous posts) in an earlier post but have since provided no answer.

Honestly, it pains me to say this, but I read your posts and see nothing but bitterness. Everyone else, Catholic, Protestant or otherwise, appears to be wrong in your book. Does it now get lonely being the only person who is right all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Honestly, it pains me to say this, but I read your posts and see nothing but bitterness. Everyone else, Catholic, Protestant or otherwise, appears to be wrong in your book. Does it now get lonely being the only person who is right all the time.

I can see Hamlet's point and I think along the same lines.

Christ told his followers to come out and be separate from the world and not be a part of it.

The Pope is.doing the exact opposite to what Christ preaches, IE "separation and holiness".

"Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you", 2 Corinthians 6:18

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Splendour

MrPudding wrote: »
    Guys, seriously, there has to be some point when one simply cannot call themselves a catholic. Seriously, this is beyond ridiculous.

I agree with you Mr.P but the CC are at fault for this. How many times do couples request their wedding take place in the church when neither of them believe in the tenants of the church and yet the wedding goes ahead?
    Or that same couple who,when having a child baptised, knowingly lie when they promise to bring their child up in the Catholic faith when they've no intention of setting foot inside the church until the child's communion day?

I don't understand it- it doesn't make sense to me but the 'powers that be' don't seem to have a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

PDN wrote: »
    No, but you can call yourself a freemason if you undergo the rites to join that organisation.
    Of course. But what happens when to stop following the tenets of the organisation or break one of its rules?
    Because, like most organisations in the world, the RCC does not follow a policy of booting out anyone who fails to follow their rules 100%.
    Come on. We aren't talking about failing to follow the rules 100%, we are talking about failing to follow the rules at all! A slight slip, we can all understand but not going to mass, not believing in the things that make catholics catholic, thinking the pope is an ass, not agreeing with the churches view on important (to the church) things like gay marriage, contraception, sex before marriage and abortion? Seriously, if you take all of them away what, exactly, are you left with? It certainly ain't catholicism.
    Atheists often fail to grasp this simple concept, as demonstrated by the many threads on boards.ie that ask how one can leave the RCC and then proceed to discuss excommunication. Excommunication is not being booted out of the Church, it simply denotes a disobedient Catholic who is still a Cathyolic but is under discipline.
    The threads, numerous as there are, are a direct result of th behaviour of the church. Being told you can't leave something is arguably worse than being told you can't join. The church, by its actions, child abuse, cover ups corruption etc, make people want to cut association with it. There actions in saying you can't add to the frustration.

You present a gross simplification when you say people just need to stop going to not be catholic. That is not what people are worried about. People don't expect to be rounded up each Sunday and carted off to mass. We know we just have to stop going. Most people who want to formally remove themselves from the church want to do so simply because they don't want the church adding them to their numbers. This is not an unreasonable thing to want. The fact that the church does not seem to have any kind of define way of counting numbers does not help here. If they could show, conclusively, that people that no longer see themselves as catholics are not being counted then I think a lot of the demand for defection would disappear. There will still be those that want to defect to make a point, but I think most would be happy.

The old "once baptised always a catholic" does not really hold water. I am quite happy for the rcc to believe whatever they want about 1) the existence of my immortal soul and 2) whaterever has been put on it by a ritual when I did not know any better, but for the purposes of secular matters they should not count me.

That is the point. That is the concept and it is not simple and atheist do not fail to grasp it.
    Like atheists who define 'atheist' one way when it suits them, then, when we are discussing Norway's population, suddenly start counting deists, pagans and others as atheists?
    Meh, can't comment on that. As far as I am concerned an atheist is a person that does not believe in gods. SImples.
    It irritates me too, but those people are just plain wrong. An "a la carte Catholic" (and I hate that phrase) is still a Catholic. The guardians of orthodoxy might not consider them to be particularly good Catholics, but they are Catholics nonetheless. It isn't dissimilar to a card carrying member of a political party who disagree's with certain policies of the leadership, they are still a party member unless they leave or are booted out.
    To a point I don't actually disagree with you, but as I said above, surely there has to come a point where it is simply not possible to call someone a catholic?
    Splendour wrote: »
    I agree with you Mr.P but the CC are at fault for this. How many times do couples request their wedding take place in the church when neither of them believe in the tenants of the church and yet the wedding goes ahead?
    Agreed.
    Or that same couple who,when having a child baptised, knowingly lie when they promise to bring their child up in the Catholic faith
    Done this 3 times myself. :o In my defence it was under severe protest. ;)
    I don't understand it- it doesn't make sense to me but the 'powers that be' don't seem to have a problem with it.
    Of course they don't. It would not make sense for them to throw people out.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Of course. But what happens when to stop following the tenets of the organisation or break one of its rules?

You would have to ask a freemason about that. I doubt if they boot everyone oout who fails to conform 100% to the rules.
    Come on. We aren't talking about failing to follow the rules 100%, we are talking about failing to follow the rules at all! A slight slip, we can all understand but not going to mass, not believing in the things that make catholics catholic, thinking the pope is an ass, not agreeing with the churches view on important (to the church) things like gay marriage, contraception, sex before marriage and abortion? Seriously, if you take all of them away what, exactly, are you left with? It certainly ain't catholicism.

I think you are left with Catholicism as it has often been throughout the centuries. A la carte Catholicism is nothing new. And if the rules don't boot you out then you can break the rules and stay in. Which is fine if people want to do so and still self-identify as Catholic.
    You present a gross simplification when you say people just need to stop going to not be catholic.
    Sorry, where did I say that?
    That is the point. That is the concept and it is not simple and atheist do not fail to grasp it.
    Well you've obviously failed to grasp it. The point was that excommunication does not stop you from being a Catholic. Maybe if you had grasped it you wouldn't be going on about a lot of other stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭gimmebroadband

Or that same couple who,when having a child baptised, knowingly lie when they promise to bring their child up in the Catholic faith when they've no intention of setting foot inside the church until the child's communion day?

The CC is NOT at fault! If anyone is to blame it's dissenting priests and nuns who have strayed from the Magisterium of the Church.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

We're not as ignorant, kept in the dark. We've 'seen behind the curtain' and it's ugly.

I never listened in mass as a child, but I'd bet that the priests were able to cherry pick the parts of the bible which they deemed more palatable to the public. The 'nice' bits. The internet has in many ways, shown us the parts that were left out, the nasty bits and all the rest of the inconsistencies and the hard-to-believe stories. (eg Noah's Ark)

Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Brinimartini

Maybe Mr Pudding will help me out here :eek:

Honestly, I wasn't trying to start world war 3. However you'll never find me criticising the pope (any pope). And I'd say that makes me catholic, nice and firmly attached to the true vine. icon14.gif

a religious Uriah Heep.:0(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Originally Posted by MrPudding
    To a point I don't actually disagree with you, but as I said above, surely there has to come a point where it is simply not possible to call someone a catholic?

This ones easy, that point is when they stop calling themselves catholic.
    Their is no point whare you get to tell them they are not catholic, bad catholic maybe but not non catholic.

Perhaps so, but who gets to decide what that point is? It would be completely subjective. For me, if someone is baptised into the Catholic church and considers themselves to be a Catholic, then that's what they are. But others will disagree. As regards the census, you can describe yourself as anything you want, and unless you want to get religious bodies involved in what is a civil matter, there is absolutely no way around that.

You would have to ask a freemason about that. I doubt if they boot everyone oout who fails to conform 100% to the rules.
    I have. There are several rules, the breaking of which will mean you are booting from the organisation.
    I think you are left with Catholicism as it has often been throughout the centuries. A la carte Catholicism is nothing new. And if the rules don't boot you out then you can break the rules and stay in. Which is fine if people want to do so and still self-identify as Catholic.
    I think this is the main issue. If the leaders of the club have requirements, and you don't follow those requirements, then how can you self-identify and why would you?

My understanding is that due to the nature of baptism you have the whole marked soul thing, which is where the reluctance of the church to "let go" comes from, but I think this can be separated from what the person is functionally. The church may have (or it at least believes it has) ownership of a persons soul, but that does not make the person functionally a catholic, nor should it be used as a counter for adherents when it comes to secular matters.

Sorry, where did I say that?
    It was a general comment about people trying to leave the catholic church. People often, as I believe you have done in the past, comment that you simply have to stop going to mass and stop considering yourself to be a catholic. This is a gross simplification of the problem and the reason why people want to "leave" the church. That said, I agree with you that many people are mistaken about what excommunication means.

Well you've obviously failed to grasp it. The point was that excommunication does not stop you from being a Catholic. Maybe if you had grasped it you wouldn't be going on about a lot of other stuff.
    Again, I was referring to a more general leaving the church point, and not specifically to excommunication. On reflection I probably could have been a little clearer on that. What I was trying to get at is the whole leaving the church thing is not simple. Excommunication is simple and I certainly grasp it. The idea of leaving the church is not so simple, well it kind of is, you can't do it, but that sort of makes it not simple...
    The CC is NOT at fault! If anyone is to blame it's dissenting priests and nuns who have strayed from the Magisterium of the Church.
    Rubbish. A big part of the problem is a lack of clarity from the church about how things work and the whole inability to "leave."
    tommy2bad wrote: »
    This ones easy, that point is when they stop calling themselves catholic.
    Their is no point whare you get to tell them they are not catholic, bad catholic maybe but not non catholic.
    Perhaps so, but who gets to decide what that point is? It would be completely subjective. For me, if someone is baptised into the Catholic church and considers themselves to be a Catholic, then that's what they are. But others will disagree. As regards the census, you can describe yourself as anything you want, and unless you want to get religious bodies involved in what is a civil matter, there is absolutely no way around that.

The issue that many have, myself included, is when the church uses these numbers to lobby the government. Where the numbers give a benefit, in secular terms, to the organisation then those numbers need to be looked at more carefully. As I mentioned earlier, I really don't care what the church thinks about stuff which I consider to be in the realm of makey uppy stuff, but I am concerned where there is, or potentially is an impact in the real world.

For the makey uppy stuff it really doesn't matter. Who owns a soul and how many souls they own doesn't or at least shouldn't have any effect on the power of an organisation to lobby the government or justify its position in society. On the other hand, how many actual adherents that organisation has, how many people you can say are functionally part of that organisation, might have some relevance. Some of the people that call themselves catholic would barely fulfil the requirements to be called christian, and are certainly far from functional catholics. I don't think it is reasonable or justifiable for these people to be included in the figures.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Originally Posted by MrPudding
    On the other hand, how many actual adherents that organisation has, how many people you can say are functionally part of that organisation, might have some relevance. Some of the people that call themselves catholic would barely fulfil the requirements to be called christian, and are certainly far from functional catholics. I don't think it is reasonable or justifiable for these people to be included in the figures.

I agree their needs to be an official way to 'uncatholicize' but apart from converting to another denomination or faith their isn't.
    In fairness the RCC itself is not as inclined to use the gross census figures as it was in the past. As much to do with dwindling resources as sense applying, nowadays their more likely to take account of mass attendance and actual requests for church services like ethos schooling ans such.
    Having decided to abandon the RCC I think it would help me more if their was a way to become officially ex. rather than just lapsed. The term implies laziness on my part and doesn't do justice to my position and I suspect a lot of others.

I agree their needs to be an official way to 'uncatholicize' but apart from converting to another denomination or faith their isn't.
    In fairness the RCC itself is not as inclined to use the gross census figures as it was in the past. As much to do with dwindling resources as sense applying, nowadays their more likely to take account of mass attendance and actual requests for church services like ethos schooling ans such.
    Having decided to abandon the RCC I think it would help me more if their was a way to become officially ex. rather than just lapsed. The term implies laziness on my part and doesn't do justice to my position and I suspect a lot of others.

It isn't even just the census figures. There was a bit of a debate on this previously and one poster, ISAW I believe, said the figures came from "census Sunday" though he was unable to provide any detail about these special days. Another poster contacted various diocese directly and was told on, IIRC, at least one occasion that they simply used the baptismal record adjusted for deaths. Not acceptable.

MrP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

Why does there? - There's no official way to leave many other churches. It's just assumed that if you go, you're not a part of it.

It shouldn't be the case that a process is needed. If you're gone. You're gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I have. There are several rules, the breaking of which will mean you are booting from the organisation.

By the by, I don't agree that any church should boot anyone out for any reason. Churches should work with people to bring them to a deeper knowledge of Christ. If Christians believe Jesus died to rescue us from sin, and from eternal condemnation in hell then it would be cruel to stop trying to bring someone to a deeper knowledge of Christ.

If people are struggling, others in the congregation should help those people to understand Christ more. If a church operates as a truly loving community, we'll see that in the church particularly if we understand the Gospel.

Perhaps it is the case that deep down, we often don't give others the care and attention that they deserve in bringing them to godliness through the Gospel.

Booting someone out of a church would be heartless. Christianity isn't a club, it isn't like the freemasons. It's about living truth, and bringing people to love God. I.E - It's much more serious.

I didn't realise you'd abandoned the Catholic Church Tommy, the best of luck wherever your journey takes you. I'm lapsed myself which as you say implies laziness, and that's probably not completely inaccurate! When something played a big (largely positive) role in my life, I find myself reluctant to take that last step.
    It isn't even just the census figures. There was a bit of a debate on this previously and one poster, ISAW I believe, said the figures came from "census Sunday" though he was unable to provide any detail about these special days. Another poster contacted various diocese directly and was told on, IIRC, at least one occasion that they simply used the baptismal record adjusted for deaths. Not acceptable.
    MrP

I haven't heard of such a thing as Census Sunday (and ISAW is no longer with us to shed light on that). Even if the dioceses were adjusting the baptismal register for deaths though, the only people they would be fooling are themselves as the results would be completely meaningless. As regards education and so on, the only figures that count are the CSO figures from the census.

philologos wrote: »
    By the by, I don't agree that any church should boot anyone out for any reason. Churches should work with people to bring them to a deeper knowledge of Christ. If Christians believe Jesus died to rescue us from sin, and from eternal condemnation in hell then it would be cruel to stop trying to bring someone to a deeper knowledge of Christ.
    For obvious reasons, I can't really agree with you here... But I kind of do. I appreciate the spiritual side of what you are saying, and whilst I think it is all rubbish, I genuinely can see your point. But then my issue, as I pointed out above is not with the spiritual side.

Irrespective of what the church should, but apparently does not do, with respect to peoples beliefs when a person cannot conceivably be said to be functionally catholic then that person should not be "claimed" for secular purposes.
    If people are struggling, others in the congregation should help those people to understand Christ more. If a church operates as a truly loving community, we'll see that in the church particularly if we understand the Gospel.
    But they might not be struggling! They might be perfectly happy. We all know people that don't believe in the tenants of the catholic church and some that don't even believe in god yet still say they are catholic. They plainly are not functionally catholic. If the church want to claim some kind of supernatural claim over them, then so be it, but they should not be able to claim them as an adherent for secular purposes. As I have said before, I really don't care what the church believes about what my christening has done to a part of me that I consider to be made up, but I do care if they count me as one of their number when they are talking to the government or the EU or the United Nations.
    Perhaps it is the case that deep down, we often don't give others the care and attention that they deserve in bringing them to godliness through the Gospel.
    Irrelevant. The fact is they are not functionally catholic, so should not be counted as catholic for secular reasons. The church is more than welcome to try to "rescue" them, though I really think that ship has sailed, and going by the recent polls unless the vatican mounts some kind of invasion and sends in a few thousand crack commando priests, I think it might well be beyond the ability of the church in Ireland to fix this problem.
    Booting someone out of a church would be heartless. Christianity isn't a club, it isn't like the freemasons. It's about living truth, and bringing people to love God. I.E - It's much more serious.
    Obviously I don't agree, but that said, it still doesn't matter. Boot them out or don't boot them out. I suppose all I want is a bit of honesty about what the numbers mean. 84% of the population identify themselves as catholic, but how many of them are functionally catholic? How many of them follow the rules or requirements? How many of them are real catholics? Many of us, religious and non-religious alike, want a more secular Ireland. We don't want a particular church having too much power or control. Allowing the church to say that 84% of the population is catholic when that is quite clearly not the case isn't helping anyone, aside form the catholic church.

I haven't heard of such a thing as Census Sunday (and ISAW is no longer with us to shed light on that). Even if the dioceses were adjusting the baptismal register for deaths though, the only people they would be fooling are themselves as the results would be completely meaningless. As regards education and so on, the only figures that count are the CSO figures from the census.
    But that is the point, they are just fooling themselves. They are using these figures when they lobby the government, or the EU or the United Nations.

MrP

• Advertisement

But that is the point, they are just fooling themselves. They are using these figures when they lobby the government, or the EU or the United Nations.

MrP

Do you honestly think that our government, the EU, or the UN will treat any membership figures provided by the Catholic church (or any church) as accurate? They will rely on the figures provided by the CSO, which in terms of demographics in this country are the only figures that count. I would suspect that the church itself also largely relies on the census figures.

Advertisement