Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bring the Problems to the Entrepreneurs

• 24-09-2011 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭

I am a recent masters graduate in Business and Entrepreneurship and one thing I have noticed is that a lot of entrepreneurs actively go out of their way to find opportunities, so I figured why not bring the opportunities to the entrepreneurs yourself.

Is there anything in your industry that bothers you that you wish could be done differently, something that you dont have the time or resources to do yourself. Well this blog will be a space where you can do that anonymously or named.

This site has not been set up to make money, but has been set up to encourage innovation and needed change in our industries. The site is only 2 days old at present, so this really is the beginning.

Obviously being the entrepreneurial forum I open to suggestions on how to make this better or any thoughts in general on it

http://industryproblems.wordpress.com/

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭TheCostumeShop.ie: Ronan

Great idea, the only issue with this is the ownership of the idea. In the same way that a social network was by no means a new idea, facebook got sued many times for "stealing" someones idea. Sometimes companies ended up paying them to just go away rather than risk the courts pausing the company's trading while a legal battle ensues.

People over estimate the value of a good idea and under estimate the value of hard work. Also it can be hard to get motivated about an idea unless you believe it fixing the problem.

Other than those two points though I think its a great idea. Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Hannibal6.0

Great idea, the only issue with this is the ownership of the idea. In the same way that a social network was by no means a new idea, facebook got sued many times for "stealing" someones idea. Sometimes companies ended up paying them to just go away rather than risk the courts pausing the company's trading while a legal battle ensues.

People over estimate the value of a good idea and under estimate the value of hard work. Also it can be hard to get motivated about an idea unless you believe it fixing the problem.

Other than those two points though I think its a great idea. Best of luck with it.

Yeah the ownership of an idea can be a problem, doesnt force people to put their ideas in the comments section, they could work on the idea themselves and simply place a comment saying that they might have a solution and leave contact details, this way leaving both parties to deal the issues of trust, ownership, NDA's etc themselves.

I originally got the idea from hearing the story off a person who was looking for working calling a friend in esb and asked them was there anything in there job that could make there work easier and more profitable, I dont know the technical details or even how true it is but apparently they had trouble with losing electricity in the wires, so this guy came up with a way to fix the problem and eventually sold his idea to them. Supposedly these are the yellow things that we see on the wires today.. True or not it gave me the idea for people to discuss problems that they were having on day to day basis that they couldn fix themselves. So i figured why not set up a space where people can vent about frustration and may even find a solution to their problems

I do believe u have a point that people have to believe in the idea to go through with it, thats why hopefully if this takes off I can segment different industries so that way viewers can look into an area that they know well themselves and would be more inclined to believe in an idea.

and very true point about over estimating ideas and undervaluing hard work

• Registered Users Posts: 26 borei07

what opportunities are yo0u bringin to the entrepreneur in fact though?

borei07 wrote: »
    what opportunities are yo0u bringin to the entrepreneur in fact though?

The idea was that there is millions of problems out there that need to be solved. Most of us face them everyday in our jobs but given our resources there is never an awful lot we can ever do about it, what I wanted to do was to create a space where people could come and tell us what these problems are, so that the entrepreneurial type of person mind find an opportunity to create a new venture from try to find resolutions to these issues.

To be honest I tried to promote the site for some time but the general feed back I got was that it was a good idea but people just prefer to use communities like boards to naturally come across them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 borei07

I completely appreciate what you're trying to do. We're in a time where we need to look at solving problems differently. It's refreshing to see there are people out there that are still coherent with independent thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

trouble with losing electricity in the wires, so this guy came up with a way to fix the problem and eventually sold his idea to them. Supposedly these are the yellow things that we see on the wires toda

what ? I'm fascinated. Tell me more......

amen wrote: »
    what ? I'm fascinated. Tell me more......

Unfortunately I can only go from what I was told, I never actually researched the background of the story to check its validity, but whether this particular case is true or not it certainly would not be uncommon for people outside of a company to develop solutions to problems that companies in an industry may be having.

Advertisement