Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roberts WM201

• 09-12-2008 10:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Hi all

Does anyone has a Roberts WM201 internet radio? How do you find it? I am interested in buying an internet radio. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭TRSJ

I have one. Best internet radio I have bought (if a little expensive). In fact I would say it's one of my top 10 purchases of all time. Great, I give it 99%. The only reason for not giving it 100% is that it does not have actual pre-set buttons on the unit itself (just on the remote).

The sound (bass and stereo separation) is better than most fm radios I have owned (depending on station stream of course). Listen to something like ipartyradio.com on the roberts and it is just wow!

BTW Roberts have another newer radio that has fm, dab and wi-fi all in one but I don't own one so I can't stand over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 JohannM

To tell you the truth I am also interested in the Revo IBlik WI-FI or the Revo Radiostation.

I am not sure if I want to spend more than €200 though.

I also read that DAB in Ireland is useless no? I am not very up-to-date with DAB though.

Need to read more on user experiences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

DAB is useless outside certain areas, basicly the Pale, Cork, Limerick have it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭bugsyboy

Can you get the bbc stations? Just bought a roberts 202. Can get everything except bbc stations. Any special settings?
    Cheers

paul

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭bossdrum

bugsyboy wrote: »
    Can you get the bbc stations? Just bought a roberts 202. Can get everything except bbc stations. Any special settings?
    Cheers

paul

I have a roberts 202 aswell and all the bbc stations are very easy to find. Try searching by location.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply. Can't get bbc any which way. Think it must be something with router setup firewalls etc. Did you change any router settings when you installed.?What router do you use, internet company?
    Cheers
    paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Tallspoon

Hi
    I had an Acoustic Energy which died on me after 18 months. I just bought 2 x Logic100 radios for €45 a piece on ebay. These are entry level radios and can have a sensitivity issue due to the wifi dongle being inside the casing.
    These radios can be modified very cheaply and simply. I bought an EDIMAX EW-7318USG Dongle which comes with a usb extension and now my wifi reception has improved hugely.
    If you are considering an internet radio then the roberts is very pricey and I reckon that my cheap Logic100 is just as good although it does not come with DAB.

Fos pictures of the modification see link:
    https://www.reciva.com/index.php?option=com_joomlaboard&Itemid=108&func=view&id=7309&catid=3&limit=6&limitstart=6

Anyway whatever you choose best of luck. You will never have to listen to Irish radio again!!! :D

bugsyboy wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. Can't get bbc any which way. Think it must be something with router setup firewalls etc. Did you change any router settings when you installed.?What router do you use, internet company?
    Cheers
    paul

There was no setup required, it just picked up the wireless internet. I have a belkin router & BT. Try getting the stations through http://www.wifiradio-frontier.com and then you can access them through the favouites menu.

bossdrum wrote: »
    There was no setup required, it just picked up the wireless internet. I have a belkin router & BT. Try getting the stations through http://www.wifiradio-frontier.com and then you can access them through the favouites menu.

Thanks Bossdrum. Have tried the website and registered various stations as favourites. Only the BBC ones give the "network error" message. In my chats with Franner (of Boards) I am beginning to think it may be my router setup. Apparently if I could turn off the firewall at the router it might do the trick. Seems to be impossible to do this with a Linksys WRT54GS. I have a Zyxel 600 modem attached to the router. The guy in the Sony/Peats shop in Dun Laogahire said they had no complaints like this before and that he would ask one on fhe techy guys for a workaround. Hope to talk to him today. It's a comfort to know (from this discussion) that the Roberts 202 can definitely pick up BBC Radio in Ireland. Therefore the problem can only be with my router setup or my Internet provider Imagine. I also have philips modem router which if I have the balls will try to setup today. Don't know much about routers. But will give it a lash.

Humbled and amazed at the willinness to help there is here. Thanks
    Paul

Hey guys

Thanks for all your replies.

I am between the Sound 43 and Sound 53. Can I find a retailer in Dublin, or do I have to order it online?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

JohannM wrote: »
    I am between the Sound 43 and Sound 53.

Don't see wifi on these radio's. I stand corrected.

You are right!

I think i will go for the WM 202, although its a bit pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

JohannM wrote: »
    I think i will go for the WM 202, although its a bit pricey

Come back and tell us how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Phoenix3

I got a WM-202 under the tree.It is a cracker of a kit.Fast wireless connection,Excellent sound although no tone or bass/treble controls.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Phoenix3 wrote: »
    I got a WM-202 under the tree.It is a cracker of a kit.Fast wireless connection,Excellent sound although no tone or bass/treble controls.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

BBC Radio working okay?
    Paul

What about the Pure Evoke Flow?

At the moment I am between the Pure Evoke and the Roberts WM 202.

Can't decide yet

Bugsyboy

With all the excitement I obviously overlooked BBC.No they aren't working at the moment,even though they are actually connecting.

Bugsyboy,

Disregard my last post.I spoke to Roberts support line and they thought there shouldn't be a problem.I then discovered I had plugged into the headphone jack last night and that was why I had no audio.

There is a website mentioned on page 66 of manual.you can register and check any station to see if there is a problem with it.It also asks for the access code which is unique to your radio so this may help.

Just wondering where you are located,I am in Dublin 15.

Let me know how you get on?

Phoenix3.

Thanks Pheonix3 for the reply.
    I can actually play Radio 4,5 etc from the website wifiradio-frontier. I can get anything that is wma or mp3 broadcast to play on the radio. It only seems to be realplayer stuff that it can't do. Spoke to Roberts number UK and and they said that their engineer wouldn't be around until Monday. I have changed my router to a Philips modem/router in the hope that might solve it. I live in Shankill. Doyou mind if I ask what router and isp are you using? Did you ring the Roberts UK support number or perhaps another?

Great radio-poratble sounds great easy to use. If i can't solve this I think the only option will be a netbook (crappy speakers though).

Cheers

paul
    Phoenix3 wrote: »
    Bugsyboy,

Disregard my last post.I spoke to Roberts support line and they thought there shouldn't be a problem.I then discovered I had plugged into the headphone jack last night and that was why I had no audio.

There is a website mentioned on page 66 of manual.you can register and check any station to see if there is a problem with it.It also asks for the access code which is unique to your radio so this may help.

Just wondering where you are located,I am in Dublin 15.

Let me know how you get on?

Phoenix3.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Oooh. This isn't good. Does other stations using Real Player codecs work on the WM202?

If so, I'd say its down to the real player links that Frontier use. Remember that the BBC has 3 sets of streams. 1 is WMA, just for UK listeners, and 2 for Real Player; 1 for UK and 1 for International. I wonder do Frontier have International radios links installed. Are their any forums on the Frontier website, like the fantastic forums on the Reciva site?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭HuntingDrog

not much of a radio purchaser meself so need ye're expertise.......which UK websites are worthwhile for purchasing these wifi radio's?

(must be pretty cheap now with the exchange rate near parity) tks in advance

not much of a radio purchaser meself so need ye're expertise.......which UK websites are worthwhile for purchasing these wifi radio's?

(must be pretty cheap now with the exchange rate near parity) tks in advance

Any site that can deliver electrical goods to Ireland, tbh.

So the likes of Amazon are out.

DMC wrote: »
    Oooh. This isn't good. Does other stations using Real Player codecs work on the WM202?

If so, I'd say its down to the real player links that Frontier use. Remember that the BBC has 3 sets of streams. 1 is WMA, just for UK listeners, and 2 for Real Player; 1 for UK and 1 for International. I wonder do Frontier have International radios links installed. Are their any forums on the Frontier website, like the fantastic forums on the Reciva site?

Apologies for quoting myself, but this is a serious issue that needs clarification. It appears you can only log onto the forums of Frontier Silicone's wifi radio website if you are registering a new radio, so I can't see if any issues are arising.

Can anyone with the Roberts WM 202 in Ireland listen to all the BBC Radio stations ok?

DMC wrote: »
    Can anyone with the Roberts WM 202 in Ireland listen to all the BBC Radio stations ok?
    I can receive all the bbc stations on my wm 202.

bossdrum wrote: »
    I can receive all the bbc stations on my wm 202.

I still can't get any bbc radio stations. I reckon it must be my router (having changed one alread!). Am I the only one? Anyone else had the problem and then solve it? One person solved the problem by disabling their firewall. Hasn't worked for me. I'll be talking to Roberts today.

Paul

Its odd. Do let us know.

Is there any forums or such like on http://www.wifiradio-frontier.com/ ?

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

bugsyboy, would I be right in assuming you can stream those BBC stations on your PC no problem?

byte wrote: »
    bugsyboy, would I be right in assuming you can stream those BBC stations on your PC no problem?

Absolutely no problem with reception on the pc.. Spoke to roberts Tech today who said that they were unaware of any problems in Ireland. They suggested I try another Roberts 202 which the Sony?peats shop kindly gave me. Same problem.
    The Sony/Peats in Dun Laoghaire are aware of a problem themselves. BBC radio is hit and miss on their setup with various brands. Interestingly the Roberts 202 could only receive Radio 4 LW in the shop (more than i can get at home).

The Reciva Quattro radio seemed to be receiving all the BBC radio broadcasts. Some of the radios were receiving BBC radio but in a scrambled way (ie the sound was warped and unlistenable to.)

They will talk to the Roberts rep and get back to me by wednesday. Very confusing. The more I hear the more it sounds like the isp/router setup is delicate. Some are lucky and unaware of the problems.

Cheers
    paul

Sony/Peats have advised (having spoken to Roberts Ireland rep) that I must have arouter problem. I have order my ISP (Imagine)'s standard wireless router in faith. Should be here by the weekend.
    Paul

• Advertisement

Fingers crossed for ye :)

Advertisement