Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mechanic or electrical problems

• 09-10-2007 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hello everybody, I got a problem with my Thruxton 900 (year 2005).
    Is about 6 months that everytime it rains the bike shut down unless I keep it over 3000 rpm.
    Now I brought it to the Triumph official mechanich already 3 times, I've been charged already 60, 80 and 320€.
    He's an idiot, he doesn't even ask what is the problem..
    Unfortunatly I live in Ireland and there's only one Triumph dealer..
    Fact is that today for the first time the bike has done it without rain, and now I am really in trouble as I can't find who or how to fix it. It looks like is going with just one cilinder but I don't think is a mechanical problem as the idiot mechanic already changed the whole carburator and his parts.
    It looks more like electric and I think it happened today because of the high umidity duuring the night (even if the bike is well covered).
    I would know if anybody has got the same problem and can suggest me a way to solve it or if anyone can guess what can be..
    Thanks in advance

P.s.: does anybody knows a very (I mean really) good mechanich for motorbikes? I tried many and all are the same, they don't even ask what is the problem.. I need one where I go, he does his job, I pay and after for at least few months I don't have to meet him again....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BJ2007

sounds like the electrics are expossed to the damp and the rain. maybe check the battery and see if its expossed.

as regards a good mechainc try Scotts bikes in halords cross, he's and excellent mechanic and works on most makes and models.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Senzare

BJ2007 wrote:
    sounds like the electrics are expossed to the damp and the rain. maybe check the battery and see if its expossed.

as regards a good mechainc try Scotts bikes in halords cross, he's and excellent mechanic and works on most makes and models.:cool:

Thanks for help. Fact is that it looks like is going at one cilinder in thoose times and the battery is not exposed as is under the seat.
    But i'll check with the mechanic in harold cross as I live in rathfarnam and I do that road everyday for work.
    Hope he can finally solve this issue.
    It's mad that the official Triumph reseller can't solve a so stupid problem...

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

Maybe you could try contacting Triumph directly and asking them to suggest somebody else in Dublin as you are unhappy with their "official" agent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Senzare

frodi wrote:
    Maybe you could try contacting Triumph directly and asking them to suggest somebody else in Dublin as you are unhappy with their "official" agent.

Unfortunatly they are the only official dealer/mechanic..
    Anyway I want to send them (Triumph) a letter because I got from Bikeworld the worst service I ever received, and I am a biker from 16 years now..

And I bought the bike from them at 11k just 2 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭frodi

If there are no warranty issues left I would just go and find a decent mechanic who knows Triumphs and go there. Either way it's lousy service on their part.
    I use Dave in World Wide Motorcycles on Kimmage Rd Lr. He hasn't let me down yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I got John in the Italian Centre (phone 8721624) to service my Triumph Sprint ST. Bikeworld actually refused to service it because it's a UK import - aren't they all? :rolleyes:

What parts did they change, did you get receipts, did the fault get better (or worse) after they did the work? If they didn't fix the fault you should have been demanding that they fix it properly for free not paying them more money. I'd be seriously considering a small claims court action (costs about €15 or €20) if they won't give you satisfaction.

Your fault sounds like a HT ignition fault to me - bad plug leads, plug caps or plugs would be the first thing I'd check (e.g. cracks in leads, rust in the plug caps - there should be clean bright metal where it meets the plug.) Check the coil mounting bolts are tight and again, making contact with clean bare metal on the frame. After that, it's possible that one of the coils is faulty but the only real way of checking is to replace it.

Life ain't always empty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 night

when I go on my bike I keep having to walk home. the bike keeps dieing on me. it as a new battery in the bike but it still die on me. I re change the battery started the bike and on tic over put a meter across the battery and the meter go up to around 15v.18/20ah. when you rev the bike the meter die down to around 13v6/8ah. but the bike still dies on me. as yesterday I went 1mile to the shop on my bike come back to the bike and it would not start. I change the battery 4 hours before I set off. i went back to my bike with my other battery and it started right away.
    I put a meter across the battery that was in the bike when I got back and it had 11v.6ah in it. my bike a 98 gsxr 750. so any help will be grateful:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

night, you should really start a new thread with this query.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

night wrote: »
    when I go on my bike I keep having to walk home. the bike keeps dieing on me. it as a new battery in the bike but it still die on me. I re change the battery started the bike and on tic over put a meter across the battery and the meter go up to around 15v.18/20ah. when you rev the bike the meter die down to around 13v6/8ah. but the bike still dies on me. as yesterday I went 1mile to the shop on my bike come back to the bike and it would not start. I change the battery 4 hours before I set off. i went back to my bike with my other battery and it started right away.
    I put a meter across the battery that was in the bike when I got back and it had 11v.6ah in it. my bike a 98 gsxr 750. so any help will be grateful:mad:

I'm trying to read into your text there buddy. So your new battery is losing power correct?
    Sounds like the regulator is knackered. If you keep hooking a good battery up to a faulty reg then the reg will keep frying the battery.
    So go and get the regulator checked, you may find your problem there.

Advertisement