Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

R402 improvement scheme

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Was driving on the R402 near Carbury Co. Kildare yesterday. Impressive amount of earthworks and hedgerow removal done so far. Has anyone got any maps of this scheme? Is anybody taking pics?

Seems to be a very big job for a regional road and will make a big difference to those who use the road.

One other thing, I notice that this postbox is now gone and there is a pile of rubble where it was. I hope it has been preserved or relocated.
    http://maps.google.ie/maps?q=Enfield,+An+Mhi&hl=en&ll=53.36789,-6.932373&spn=0.007221,0.045276&sll=53.401034,-8.307638&sspn=8.245459,23.181152&oq=enfield+ireland&hnear=Enfield,+County+Meath&t=m&z=15&layer=c&cbll=53.367893,-6.932375&panoid=5Dv7xdCMwgxLIdCRpR4n0A&cbp=11,231.31,,0,18.26

This is obviously tied in with the following:
    http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/PressReleasesAdverts/R402-EnfieldtoEdenderryRoadImprovementScheme-Contractsigning020312.html
    http://www.ga.etenders.gov.ie/search/show/search_view.aspx?ID=JUL241775

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭medoc

People were campaigning for this road for years. I was on it last week and it looks to be a good alignment and bypasses Carbury village. We used to go this way to Dublin from Tullamore the odd time before the M4 and M6 opened but I rarely be on this road now. What are the chances that this new build regional will get a 100km per hour limit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There is no precedent for KCC to put limit increases on R roads that were never N roads.

However, seeing as (IIRC) they've done it for the R448 (ex-N9) it means they at least understand the purpose of doing it. Suggest that anyone in the area suggests is to their councillors.

KCC haven't increased the limit on their small section of old N4 and as far as I can remember the old N7 (R445) through Laois drops to 80 at the Kildare border. Offaly County Council upped to 100 the limit on part of the R420 so I'll get on to the Edenderry area Councillors to raise the issue with KCC closer to the opening time of the road.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Great to hear that the R402 improvement scheme is finally under construction. The road between Edenderry and Enfield is treacherous in places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

Can anyone tell me where the main site office for this is and who is the contractor?
    thanks

Can anyone tell me where the main site office for this is and who is the contractor?
    thanks

The site office is about 2km on the Enfield side of Carbury village on the right hand side heading for Enfield. The site has Coffey Construction signs up so it must be them as far as I know

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Great to hear that the R402 improvement scheme is finally under construction. The road between Edenderry and Enfield is treacherous in places.
    I wanted an exact start date for this for updating my site, but my emails to the contractor went unanswered. Anyone have any idea?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Also any idea how long it will take to build?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭nordydan

Was driving down this road at the weekend, impressive works. Information below:

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/RoadsandTransportation/CurrentMajorRoadSchemes/
    Position as of 1st March 2012
    R402 Edenderry to Enfield Road Improvement Scheme
    Kildare County Council is delighted to announce the award of a substantial roads project to Coffey Construction.

The R402 Enfield to Edenderry Road Improvement Scheme will cost approximately €36.5 million (design, supervision of works, land acquisition, advanced works, archaeology, diversion of services and the main contract) and will take approximately two years to complete. Site clearance works have already started.

The works consist of the realignment and improvement of the R402 Regional Road between Enfield and Edenderry and cover approximately 11kms of roadway.

This roads project is 100% funded by the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport.
    Kildare County Council
    Press Release – Friday 2nd March 2012
    Kildare County Council is delighted to announce the award of a substantial roads project to Coffey Construction today, Friday 2nd March 2012.

The R402 Enfield to Edenderry Road Improvement Scheme will cost approximately €36.5 million (design, supervision of works, land acquisition, advanced works, archaeology, diversion of services and the main contract) and will take approximately two years to complete.

The works consist of the realignment and improvement of the R402 Regional Road between Enfield and Edenderry and cover approximately 11 kilometres of roadway.

This roads project is 100% funded by the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport. Having regard to the current economic climate, Kildare County Council is very pleased that this project is going ahead at this time and would like to acknowledge the financial support of the Department for this very important road improvement scheme.

MAP R402 Edenderry to Enfield Road Improvement Scheme
    File Size: 5,589KB - Document Type: Acrobat pdf

Map here:

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/RoadsandTransportation/CurrentMajorRoadSchemes/Scheme%20Drawing%20-%20R-402.pdf

Bit hard to read that map. Do I take it that most of the "new" route is online and that towns aren't bypassed? How on earth could it be costing 12M if so?

spacetweek wrote: »
    Bit hard to read that map. Do I take it that most of the "new" route is online and that towns aren't bypassed? How on earth could it be costing 12M if so?

The western sections are more advanced. As regards on-line, its a mixture of on-line & slightly offline (bypassing clusters of housing). You are never more than say 30-40m from the new road. The new roundabout will be a most welcome development I would say

Again, this road improvement scheme is most welcome. :)

It would have been ideal if they had bypassed Johnstown Bridge and Kilshanroe but I suppose you can't have everything.

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It would have been ideal if they had bypassed Johnstown Bridge and Kilshanroe but I suppose you can't have everything.
    But Nordydan seems to be saying that they might indeed be passing those offline.

spacetweek wrote: »
    But Nordydan seems to be saying that they might indeed be passing those offline.

No they are not bypassing any villages just housing clusters, you'll see from the map that there are gaps in the scheme

I was on this road earlier today and had a little time to kill so I managed to take these shots below of the road construction. It is pretty well advanced at this stage and most of the fenced off re-aligned sections are cut out now, with culverts also being put in place. I reckon the first re-aligned sections could be open before the end of the year.

It looks as if the upgraded road will be pretty straight - probably not unlike the upgraded Trim to Black Bull road.:) The only village/hamlet being bypassed as far as I can see is Carbury - Kilshanroe and Johnstown Bridge will not.

Note: All of the images were taken on the section of R402 between Kilshanroe and Carbury.

30952291_img_1290.jpg

94369505_img_1284.jpg

58374093_img_1286.jpg

04071818_img_1293.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1 endoftheroad

Well, you wouldn't be getting so excited about the R402 upgrade if you lived in Johnstown Bridge village. The clever people who planned this road decided it was a good idea to upgrade this road as far as the boundary of the village and then it's going to be a free for all - with increased volume of traffic, especially HGVs, that don't currently use the road because it's so bad but go alternative routes. After traffic was diverted out of Enfield to a relief road and later the M4 bypass, we now have a situation where Kildare County Council thinks it's a clever idea to take this increased traffic into the village of Johnstown Bridge with the consequent nuisance of pollution, noise and danger. The stone bridge on the Enfield road cannot take that type of traffic - it's difficult for 2 lorries or trucks to pass at present. The traffic will back up in the village. What the Council failed to do was to take the traffic by a slip road from outside Johnstown Bridge over to Moyvalley to join the M4, taking the traffic out of the village.
    Well done Kildare County Council - it's utterly unbelievable what people have to put up with - is this why we are going to be paying household charges? To have increased traffic on our doorstep?
    This is so not a good idea - it just could only happen in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Well, you wouldn't be getting so excited about the R402 upgrade if you lived in Johnstown Bridge village. The clever people who planned this road decided it was a good idea to upgrade this road as far as the boundary of the village and then it's going to be a free for all - with increased volume of traffic, especially HGVs, that don't currently use the road because it's so bad but go alternative routes. After traffic was diverted out of Enfield to a relief road and later the M4 bypass, we now have a situation where Kildare County Council thinks it's a clever idea to take this increased traffic into the village of Johnstown Bridge with the consequent nuisance of pollution, noise and danger. The stone bridge on the Enfield road cannot take that type of traffic - it's difficult for 2 lorries or trucks to pass at present. The traffic will back up in the village. What the Council failed to do was to take the traffic by a slip road from outside Johnstown Bridge over to Moyvalley to join the M4, taking the traffic out of the village.
    Well done Kildare County Council - it's utterly unbelievable what people have to put up with - is this why we are going to be paying household charges? To have increased traffic on our doorstep?
    You have to start somewhere. Better to improve a dangerous/narrow road and wait for the bypass than do nothing.

The purpose is to increase safety not allow for larger traffic volumes. This is why the road is being straightened out but Johnstown Bridge isn't getting a bypass. It has been considered that it doesn't need one, whatever you think of that.
    I doubt there would be significant HGV traffic on this route and what alternate routes do you currently think it's using?
    Diverting the new road to Moyvalley would require building a new interchange which would be very expensive.

• Advertisement

I rolled through here last weekend, sorry no pics :(
    I am impressed by the standard of road being built. It is a spacious single carriageway, I'd say a 25 metre right of way at times. The existing route is a joke and wound its way over and back the new route at several locations.
    There are as yet no open sections, but some at the northern end have blacktop.
    As previously mentioned Johnstown Bridge won't be bypassed and will remain unchanged.

More schemes like this please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Okay, I was only up that road(first link) last night, couldnt see much in the dark though. Looking at the google image, would show that that road could be a major one, or leading up to a new housing estate(wouldnt surprise me).

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Mike Clerk

Its better if this roadway could be completed as early as possible because the way was not good for driving previously.Hoping that the best will knock soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

They are taking the absolute Mick of us now. 4 temporary traffic lights up between Edenderry and Johnstown bridge, is gone beyond a joke. While I realise it's nessessary evil, it doubling the time it takes to get from 15 to over 30 minutes between Edenderry and Johnstown. They also seem to put this temperary lights up wherever and whenever they like too.

They clearly have completed stretches of road, that could be used to carry traffic, but they havent opened them.

Anyone had a look at this recently? How's it coming along?

This scheme has been completed.
    No photos anywhere though and it's not yet on OSM...

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Its been on OSM for over a month...

lamaq wrote: »
    Its been on OSM for over a month...
    Oh, right.... Seems quite crooked for a new route :(

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Some of the parts that weren't upgraded were based on GPS traces so these haven't been updated yet. I'll clean it up shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,237 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Drove the full length of this scheme last week (had only done the stretch east to Kilshanroe previously) - it's fine for what it is.

As far as I can recall however, they could do with doing do some resurfacing/repairs around Carbury itself? Probably outside the scope of the project, but shame to have this 'bump in the road' in the middle of such a nice new surface.

Advertisement