Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hopeful endeavor Part 2.

Options
  • 20-12-2014 5:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭

Now that I'm off to change my hard drive, is it worth the effort to upgrade from Vista to 7?
    (only need this thing for managing the wife and kids fotos and videos...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

You could always try a Linux distro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

FSL wrote: »
    You could always try a Linux distro.

ill have to google that
    what ever it is!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

ill have to google that
    what ever it is!

Check out Linux Mint, fairly Windows like

Nick

• Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Now that I'm off to change my hard drive, is it worth the effort to upgrade from Vista to 7?
    (only need this thing for managing the wife and kids fotos and videos...
    Are windows 7 drivers available. Most of the time it's not worth upgrading. And just easier to buy a new machine

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,005 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

shanec1928 wrote: »
    Are windows 7 drivers available. Most of the time it's not worth upgrading. And just easier to buy a new machine

Drivers for Vista tend to work with 7 in most cases. Should be no problem going from Vista to 7. Vista back to XP was more problematic due to the major difference between them. 7 and 8 are not all that different to Vista

Nick

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

is it worth the hassle though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

For what you are using it for it's probably not worth the expense of buying Windows 7.

As suggested earlier you could try Linux Mint or PCLinuxOS.

I prefer the latter as it is unfussy and has a driver for my very serviceable albeit elderly laser printer which Windows 7 and above doesn't.

Advertisement