Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Marmotte 2015

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

Anybody know what time of gels, bars, drinks etc are used at the stops in the Marmotte? I have a few wiggle vouchers to use and I was thinking buying some energy products to get used to the marmotte gels etc over the winter. Don't want to be using SiS gels for example and come the event having to start taking power bar and the stomach getting cramps!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I don't have a direct answer, but they are well stocked stops. Lots of bananas, rolls, jellies, dates etc.

They also have water and it seems some type of energy drink (though it could have been orange juice!)

It is highly unlikely that they will have whatever you are using. Either the flavour will be different of more likely the brand itself. Poweraid, or maybe powerbar, is a sponsor so I think they have some products.

You should be aiming to be self sufficient, except for water on the ride. Bring enough gels, and powders to get you through. You are putting your body through incredible stress that day so the last thing you need is to placing additional strain on your stomach and thus taking energy away from what you need it for. The stops are good for getting some solid food and water and for resting!

Use the next few months to experiment with different gel flavours/brands and eating/drinking strategies.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Max Rockatansky

It was Powerbar energy bars and gels at the stops in 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 nooneuno

Hi all,

I signed up for Marmotte 2015 which was supposed to coincide with a family holiday. The holiday is now on the back burner but I am determined to complete my goal! Needless to say I'd rather not go alone and I don't think anyone in my club is doing it so I am looking for a boardie/s who wouldn't mind another set of wheels to link up with to train/travel etc with.

I did the Etape in 2013 and found it OK except for the last climb which was more to do with my lack of gears than anything else (I got a bit of a shock when I saw some of the rear cassette ratios at the start line on the morning of the Etape! ) - I know the Marmotte will be a different beast. My winter training is going OK, I don't really have much wait to shed being 76-78 Kg at the mo but I always shed a few Kg coming into the start of the season. I've done the W200 a couple,of times and will also do this year as part of the training.

I'm based in the west of the country but as the training ramps up I'll be driving at weekends to where the hills are. If anyone is interested you can PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 nooneuno

Hi all,

I signed up for Marmotte 2015 which was supposed to coincide with a family holiday. The holiday is now on the back burner but I am determined to complete my goal! Needless to say I'd rather not go alone and I don't think anyone in my club is doing it so I am looking for a boardie/s who wouldn't mind another set of wheels to link up with to train/travel etc with.

I did the Etape in 2013 and found it OK except for the last climb which was more to do with my lack of gears than anything else (I got a bit of a shock when I saw some of the rear cassette ratios at the start line on the morning of the Etape! ) - I know the Marmotte will be a different beast. My winter training is going OK, I don't really have much weight to shed being 76-78 Kg at the mo but I always shed a few Kg coming into the start of the season. I've done the W200 a couple,of times and will also do this year as part of the training.

I'm based in the west of the country but as the training ramps up I'll be driving at weekends to where the hills are. If anyone is interested you can PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

After a nasty chest infection over Christmas finally got on the trainer this evening to ease back into it. Watched these and they got me in the mood!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sy56ac8iJI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts4H02rTT9Q

rb

• Registered Users Posts: 8,211 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Red Belly wrote: »
    After a nasty chest infection over Christmas finally got on the trainer this evening to ease back into it. Watched these and they got me in the mood!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sy56ac8iJI
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts4H02rTT9Q

rb

Here's another one:

http://youtu.be/nSjzaWKC_LU

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Kyran7

Hi Lads,
    Have you guys uploaded the medical cert thingy yet? Haven't done it yet, just wondering.

Also, was just having a look at the "sports communication" link. My start number for the day is 7816. I take it this means that I will be starting late enough. Have you guys checked start numbers? What exactly does it mean?

Cheers

Last year my number was 2926 and my start time was 7.30am. As far as I remember, there were two more start times at 7.45 ( 4000-6000) and 8am(6000-8000). So 7816 probably starts at 8am.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭andy69

Kyran7 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,
    Have you guys uploaded the medical cert thingy yet? Haven't done it yet, just wondering.

Also, was just having a look at the "sports communication" link. My start number for the day is 7816. I take it this means that I will be starting late enough. Have you guys checked start numbers? What exactly does it mean?

Cheers

I've just checked mine - '8520' is my start number so I'll be chasing ye on the road! :)
    but on a serious note...my data doesn't seem to be very well maintained (wrong DOB and no address etc). can't seem to find a link/button to edit anything, all I have is the page to upload the med cert - have yee updated your own data?

I'll wait till I catch this flu/cold bug that everyone seems to have and then get the doctor to sign my med cert - hardly worth the trip/cost of a visit just to get it signed....might as well get a week off work and a few drugs while I'm there!! ha! :D

• Advertisement

A CI licence can be used instead of a med cert, there is a cost to this of course but the added benefit is that you are insured while out training. Last time I did it I took a picture of the licence and uploaded that on the site and that worked fine.

The numbers indicate which pen you start in, and the marshalls are very adamant about it. 1-2000 head off first at 7.00, then 2001 to 4000 head off at 7.30 with everyone else at 7.50. You're number has no bearing on where in the pen you start, that is down to when you get to the pen. They have filter system set up as you come into the town so that you take certain routes depending on your number, which is displayed on the front on your handlebars. I'm sure there are times when people jump the pens but what I've seen is that the marshalls are pretty attentive.

The 1st pen tends to be the fastest, the top 400 go to previous top finishers and invitees, but after that it tends to be a lottery. You will get a mix in all the groups. Heading off with the first group means that you are ahead of most of the rest so the food stops are that bit quieter, but apart from that there really is no difference. There

i don't htink there is a change data option (well one that works) but I guess it depends on the data. If it is DOB and that effects the grouping you should be in then maybe e-mail them (I did this before and they didn't bother to change it). If it's your address then it is no consequence and I wouldn't bother about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭borntobike

Hi All
    Can you help. Two of us are doing the Marmotte for the second time but we have a friend who is doing the Mi-Marmotte. Would anybody know if there is any transportation to the Mi-Marmotte start from either Bourg or Alp D'Huez ?
    Thanks

Cant get an option to book my bike transport with shipmytribike. I'm assuming this means they are full for that date? What other options do I have then? I don't want the hassle of a bike box. Any other options like shipmytribike or any good places to rent bikes in alp dhuez?

Last year when we were there we rented bikes with "Rocky Sports", a shop right on top of Alpe D'Hueze. The guys there couldn't have been any more helpful. There are other shops there also but that's the guy we used. We just e-mailed him in advance and he sorted for us.

Hi Lads,
    Is there any specific med cert I need to get from the doctor. Or is it just a note signed by a doctor stating that I'm fit to complete?

Any med cert will do, or if you have a CI licence that will suffice

Pulled my hamstring ffs! Can hardly walk so I assume I will be out of action for a week or 2 anyway. I am just hoping it's not longer otherwise I will be screwed for La Marmotte!!

How is everyones training going? I was starting to go well until my injury but getting very little climbing. Longest ride was 140km at an average of 28mph. Keep getting the doubting feeling that i'm not going to have enough in my legs to finish the bloody thing. I just hope my hamstring injury doesn't keep me out for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Spokes of Glory

140k at this stage of the year is pretty good, and an average of 28k is absolutely fine. Bear in mind you have a long descent of approx 30-40k coming down from the Galibier, so you get those kms "for free".

It's coming into sportive season now so try to do one per month between now and July, eg Mount Lenister challenge, Wicklow 200 etc. It forces you to do the climbing.

Spokes

As SoG said, 140k is good for this time of the year. The injury is of course a problem for you, but endurance is the key factor in Marmottte and in my experience that is the last thing to go. Top end speed drops off pretty quickly when off the bike, so in terms of racing etc the injury would cause issues but less so for an event like Marmotte. When I have been off the bike for any extended period my performance does suffer but it doesn't take too long to get it back to close to where it was as the base is already there.

Focus on getting the injury healed up, the worst thing to do is to rush back on and have it reoccur later in the year.

In terms of my training, its a mixed bag. Weight wise I'm bang on. In terms of cycling I seem to be at the level I would expect for this time of the year (based on previous years) but I am struggling to get the longer rides in. Either family, weather of just lack of motivation is causing me to struggle to get the bigger cycles in. I am planning on doing quite a few sportives, starting with Serc 3 peaks, over the coming months and that should sort me out in terms of the longer rides and making sure the endurance is there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Red Belly

I've been getting in 100k+ efforts most week-ends since Feb. I did manage a 150k effort and plan another one this week. The last couple of weeks I've been able to get in a few 1hour rides in the evenings during the week and that should get easier as the long evenings stretch out. I'm Doing as much climbing as I can in short sharp bursts on those midweek rides. I've only done 1 100k ride with significant climbing (about 1100m) so far and I plan to try and keep the heart rate as low as possible during longer climbs rather than try to break records.

Sorry to hear about the injury Jim, but hopefully it'll heal soon anyway! Plenty of time and plenty of events coming up for you to get back on track.

I've gotten in solo 100/110k spins most weekends over the winter, and this month I've started with the hilly spins to get the auld glutes into action :)

between now and July I've got Tour of Flanders coming up shortly, and then at home there's the Tour of the Foothills next month, Orwell Randonnee after that, The Cut Challenge, Mt Leinster Challenge, Burren tour, and Wicklow Peaks all in my sights to help get ready.
    Longest of them are the 140k's (Leinster and Orwell) - realistically I won't get a longer spin/event in before Marmotte but as pointed out above....there's a fair amount of downhill to factor in, so I reckon hope it'll be grand :o

Weightwise, another couple of KG's to drop but Orwell and Mt Leinster will help that along hopefully :)

andy69 wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about the injury Jim, but hopefully it'll heal soon anyway! Plenty of time and plenty of events coming up for you to get back on track.

I've gotten in solo 100/110k spins most weekends over the winter, and this month I've started with the hilly spins to get the auld glutes into action :)

between now and July I've got Tour of Flanders coming up shortly, and then at home there's the Tour of the Foothills next month, Orwell Randonnee after that, The Cut Challenge, Mt Leinster Challenge, Burren tour, and Wicklow Peaks all in my sights to help get ready.
    Longest of them are the 140k's (Leinster and Orwell) - realistically I won't get a longer spin/event in before Marmotte but as pointed out above....there's a fair amount of downhill to factor in, so I reckon hope it'll be grand :o

Weightwise, another couple of KG's to drop but Orwell and Mt Leinster will help that along hopefully :)

Myself and Spokes Of Glory are also doing the Tour Of Flanders next week...were the two guys in Swordscc Kit...say hello if you pass us on the Koppenberg! If you don't get a response don't be offended as we'll probably be trying not to cough up a lung at the time! :)

Sounds like everyone is going along rightly! Was at the physio tonight there, he races with my club so he knows the demands of cycling. Definitely a torn hamstring. 8-12 weeks out of football. Not worried though. Thing that's me finished with gaelic! Too many injuries!!

The good news is, he had me on the turbo trainer tonight. Very gentle spinning the legs. No pain really, just a bit uncomfortable. As soon as I step off the turbo the pain starts again!! So at the minute I can't walk but I can gently spin away on the turbo, strange. He did say Tenerife might be ok for a bit of light cycling but he's not as confident as tackling teide!!

I am going to spend the spare time away from gaelic working in the gym and trying to lose weight and muscle that I don't need now. No gaelic also means I get an extra day on the weekends for long spins and also a couple of nights during the week for cycling. It could work out ok in the end!!

Jim Stynes wrote: »
    Sounds like everyone is going along rightly! Was at the physio tonight there, he races with my club so he knows the demands of cycling. Definitely a torn hamstring. 8-12 weeks out of football. Not worried though. Thing that's me finished with gaelic! Too many injuries!!

The good news is, he had me on the turbo trainer tonight. Very gentle spinning the legs. No pain really, just a bit uncomfortable. As soon as I step off the turbo the pain starts again!! So at the minute I can't walk but I can gently spin away on the turbo, strange. He did say Tenerife might be ok for a bit of light cycling but he's not as confident as tackling teide!!

I am going to spend the spare time away from gaelic working in the gym and trying to lose weight and muscle that I don't need now. No gaelic also means I get an extra day on the weekends for long spins and also a couple of nights during the week for cycling. It could work out ok in the end!!

Yep...stay away from that kickball nonsense! concentrate on cycling from now until July! ;)

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Myself and Spokes Of Glory are also doing the Tour Of Flanders next week...were the two guys in Swordscc Kit...say hello if you pass us on the Koppenberg! If you don't get a response don't be offended as we'll probably be trying not to cough up a lung at the time! :)

oh cool!! there seems to be a good few Irish heading over. Few from Rochfortbridge (Sidebrook) doing it too....although they're doing the big one.
    I'm doing the 130k version, and the wife and her friend doing the 80k.
    We'll be in 'Team Cyclomaniacs' kit (hopefully anyway....it's due to be delivered later this week!). Will post a photo of the kit when it comes in.

Are yee doing the 130k? I'm gonna head out shortly before 9am I think, so that's a pre-2pm finish all being well....so on the Kwaremont and Paterberg about 1pm probably.

On Sunday, we'll be on the Kwaremont, at the TV camera on the righthand bend (with a shed-load of beers! :) ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQniMxcZkQM (sorry for the rubbish sound quality!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭borntobike

We are returning for a second time in July and at moment doing about 1000km per month with 8k Meters. Will up that to 12-15k in April and May. The best prep event is the Mick Byrne Randonnee as it will give you an indication of where you are with a month to go.

andy69 wrote: »
    oh cool!! there seems to be a good few Irish heading over. Few from Rochfortbridge (Sidebrook) doing it too....although they're doing the big one.
    I'm doing the 130k version, and the wife and her friend doing the 80k.
    We'll be in 'Team Cyclomaniacs' kit (hopefully anyway....it's due to be delivered later this week!). Will post a photo of the kit when it comes in.

Are yee doing the 130k? I'm gonna head out shortly before 9am I think, so that's a pre-2pm finish all being well....so on the Kwaremont and Paterberg about 1pm probably.

On Sunday, we'll be on the Kwaremont, at the TV camera on the righthand bend (with a shed-load of beers! :) ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQniMxcZkQM (sorry for the rubbish sound quality!) :)

Were doing the 130k route. currently discussing if we should cycle from Ghent to the Start and then cycle back to Ghent afterwards!...sure its pan flat...how hard could it be right? :eek:

borntobike wrote: »
    We are returning for a second time in July and at moment doing about 1000km per month with 8k Meters. Will up that to 12-15k in April and May. The best prep event is the Mick Byrne Randonnee as it will give you an indication of where you are with a month to go.

What's the Mick Byrne like compared to the wicklow? I will be doing the wicklow and I think the mick byrne is the week before. I would be tempted to do both!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭goldenboots

Did Marmotte last year, much of it with borntobike. It's a brilliant day but seriously tough (well I thought it was anyway!) Agree with borntobike that the Mick Byrne Randonee is a fantastic prep. If you can do that fairly comfortably and without being completely banjaxed at the end, then the Marmotte is very doable.

From my experience, the Marmotte is as much a mental test as a physical one. All the hill training in Ireland does not prepare you for the sheer length of the climbs and the distance you have to cover at a constantly high gradient. The Galibier and Alpe d'Huez are seriously tough, and these have to be done after Glandon and Telegraph, with very little recovery time after the latter before hitting the Galibier.

Swore on numerous occasions going up Galibier and Alpe d'Huez last year that I would never, ever, ever again do it.

I plan to go back next year!

Advertisement