Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skoda Cycle Series

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

I wonder did many who were meant to do the 100km route take the turn off and do the 45km route instead

I know of 4 for sure... Zero shame here, I was frozen so badly I would kill for hot soup!
    I had 4 layers on (including rain jacket) and overshoes, didn't help a single bit

• Registered Users Posts: 20,029 ✭✭✭✭neris

Just on the off chance someone is missing them I picked up a pair of non branded sunglasses before sally gap but they were on the opposite side of the road to the way you guys were travelling

• Registered Users Posts: 23 narayananthony

I was the lunatic out in only a jersey and bib shorts, a pink crumlin childrens hospital jersey, a good few people were very helpful keeping me going with chats. That was the worst day I've ever experienced on the bike. I didnt even know about the route change I went the long way out of laragh, clocked 102km in 4hours12 for the day. The descents were horrific, I love a good fast descent, but when you cant feel your arms or your hands they are scary, the wind cut through me too. A tough day, but one I'll remember forever. I think I had most of the symptoms of hypothermia and was shaking violently in the car for a good 30 mins after with the heat on full blast. Character building I say. Well done to everyone who took part no matter what distance they did and get well soon to the lady who had the spill in Enniskerry. Well done to the organisers on good marshalling and sensible safety decisions. Would have liked a jersey for my efforts though!!! Would have made me warmer too!!!! ;-) See ya'll on the Dragon!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

I was the lunatic out in only a jersey and bib shorts, a pink crumlin childrens hospital jersey, a good few people were very helpful keeping me going with chats. That was the worst day I've ever experienced on the bike. I didnt even know about the route change I went the long way out of laragh, clocked 102km in 4hours12 for the day. The descents were horrific, I love a good fast descent, but when you cant feel your arms or your hands they are scary, the wind cut through me too. A tough day, but one I'll remember forever. I think I had most of the symptoms of hypothermia and was shaking violently in the car for a good 30 mins after with the heat on full blast. Character building I say. Well done to everyone who took part no matter what distance they did and get well soon to the lady who had the spill in Enniskerry. Well done to the organisers on good marshalling and sensible safety decisions. Would have liked a jersey for my efforts though!!! Would have made me warmer too!!!! ;-) See ya'll on the Dragon!!!

I was the guy who was probably wrecking your head asking you if you were ok, we had a cup of tea at laragh and also went the long way with you and a girl on a tt bike. Sorry for not waiting after we left laragh, I had to keep going before I seized up!! It was indeed character building, I don't know how you survived in that gear!! See you at the dragon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Where you on the red cube? I was on the giant, we passed each other a couple of times, you uttered some curse words at yourself at the climb at enniskerry. My mate had the same bike as you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 narayananthony

happyhappy wrote: »
    I was the guy who was probably wrecking your head asking you if you were ok, we had a cup of tea at laragh and also went the long way with you and a girl on a tt bike. Sorry for not waiting after we left laragh, I had to keep going before I seized up!! It was indeed character building, I don't know how you survived in that gear!! See you at the dragon.

HappyHappy - you're a gentleman. Yourself and the English girl were absolute God-Sends on that initial 15km out of Laragh. Also met a local guy up around djouce who was from Laragh and he was terrific too. If any of you guys read this - thanks a million, proper good examples of camaraderie.

@bullvine - yep that was me. I think I remember you - very strong on the hills, you didnt seem to need to spin the pedals you just pushed on up! Nice work! And yeah I was definitely cursing a bit, I was suffering big time - next time I'll come equipped for all weather

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

HappyHappy - you're a gentleman. Yourself and the English girl were absolute God-Sends on that initial 15km out of Laragh. Also met a local guy up around djouce who was from Laragh and he was terrific too. If any of you guys read this - thanks a million, proper good examples of camaraderie.

@bullvine - yep that was me. I think I remember you - very strong on the hills, you didnt seem to need to spin the pedals you just pushed on up! Nice work! And yeah I was definitely cursing a bit, I was suffering big time - next time I'll come equipped for all weather

The English girl was Nikki the legend from Belpark Tri

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Very nasty spill by a female cyclist coming into Enniskerry with only 3km to go.
    I hope she's gonna be ok.

Any news on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Johnny Jukebox

Well organised event totally ruined by the weather. There was a lot of misery and heartache out there last Saturday and fair play to anyone who set off.

Marshalling was pretty good, but as pointed out, the bottom of long hill after the recent roadworks and rain really needs a chap with a big red flag to slow people down.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

bazermc wrote: »
    Any news on this?

Turns out I know the cyclists involved. I wont go into too much detail but she is still in hospital. Thoughts and prayers are with her.

• Advertisement

There's lots of pics on the Facebook page, if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

bullvine wrote: »
    There's lots of pics on the Facebook page, if anyone is interested.

Any cyclists visible or just a haze of rain ?

bazermc wrote: »
    Any cyclists visible or just a haze of rain ?

There's loads of good pics, i am not in a single one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Kevincavan83

Any opinions on the cavan cycle in june??
    I just did the 50k (67k to and from event) an post in sligo, now i thinks I'm hooked haha
    First cycle over 45k im now thinking of stepping up in distance

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Any opinions on the cavan cycle in june??
    I just did the 50k (67k to and from event) an post in sligo, now i thinks I'm hooked haha
    First cycle over 45k im now thinking of stepping up in distance

Theres 50,80,and 160 km options.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭strokeslover

Anyone know if there is much climbing in the 160km?

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Anyone know if there is much climbing in the 160km?

Heres the route http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/435311564

Anyone heading to the dragon on Sunday?? And any local knowledge on the climbs to be shared??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Anyone heading to the dragon on Sunday?? And any local knowledge on the climbs to be shared??

I think the two main climbs are Brandon Hill (Kilkenny) and Mount Leinster, haven't ridden either but both are on Strava if you want a better idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭MichealD

Yep, they're all tough!

Great route. First 20km is main road stuff but once you turn at the Ferry Bridge before New Ross it's lovely rolling country side. Beautiful short steep climb at Inishtoige with a great view of the river valley below. A loop brings you back to Inishtoige for another long climb before Graiguenamanagh food stop. Great food stop right on the river. Then more climbing towards Borris an on to the main climb of Mt Leinster. This is from the Kiltealy side (the side you descend on the Mt Leinster Challenge) to the Nine Stones and then down to Bunclody. Long drag towards Kiltealy then before a fast finish into Enniscorthy.

All in all a really tough sportive with lots of climbing. Deceptively hard. The 75k is far more manageable missing out on Mt Leinster but adding in a short steep stinger in St. Mullins.

Well worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Rubicon Conundrum

I agree with MichaelD, I did the 130kms last year, which turned out to be 140kms. Man, it was tough. Mt Leinster nearly killed me, I think we were at the bottom of it after 99kms, so a decent ride and then a big climb. Embarrassingly, I had to walk a bit of it as I was so wrecked.

Would I do it again? Definitely, it is a great event, well organised, tough and a great sense of achievement. I'm just not available to do it this year, along with many other events I want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Buck Melanoma

:eek:
    I agree with MichaelD, I did the 130kms last year, which turned out to be 140kms. Man, it was tough. Mt Leinster nearly killed me, I think we were at the bottom of it after 99kms, so a decent ride and then a big climb. Embarrassingly, I had to walk a bit of it as I was so wrecked.

Would I do it again? Definitely, it is a great event, well organised, tough and a great sense of achievement. I'm just not available to do it this year, along with many other events I want to do.

Yep that's correct, did this last year, started struggling with stomach bug on the spin out of Enniscorthy(about 15km into spin), sharp,short shock on Inistioge climb, lots of rolling roads in this area, food stop in Graiguenamanagh(approx 75km) was excellent, advise to fill ur boots there as Mt. Leinster climb starts at approx 100km, can't remember much about this climb, did it in lowest gear, with head down, couldn,t get out of saddle due to stomach and leg cramps, great relief to reach the top,lovely picturesque descent, no more big climbs after this , just rolling roads, but be warned the road surface wasn't great in parts on this final run in, total distance was just shy of 140kms (distance advertised as 130km) Won't be doing it this year due to other commitments, but would recommend it, some lovely scenery,there was also a nice jersey as part of registration pack last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

Is there a jersey this year? There wasn't in the Sligo one, only a T-shirt, was a nice souvenir all the same. Did just see an online offer on the SKODA cycling jerseys & stuff, thinking of getting myself some. Anyone any idea what the quality is like?? It's nice bright gear and it's not too dear

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭hunter9

Anyone know if you can use someone else's entry. A friend is going racing instead and offered it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 cyclist21003

Is anyone going to sign up to the IRD Duhallow Sportive cycle on the 25th July? I'm tempted to...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Is there a jersey this year? There wasn't in the Sligo one, only a T-shirt, was a nice souvenir all the same. Did just see an online offer on the SKODA cycling jerseys & stuff, thinking of getting myself some. Anyone any idea what the quality is like?? It's nice bright gear and it's not too dear

I did the Cavan one last week and the goody bag had a Skoda bottle holder, a bag of sweets and a few packs of energy gels.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭barryf42

hi
    anyone know if you can enter these on the day- forgot to register for the the dragon thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭lookitsme

wasn't to impressed with the goody bag a bike light and a few gels, tshirt would have been nice but we can't have it all. it was a challenging course, bit windy in parts. I don't know why it was advertised as a 130km it was much closer to 140km. got a certificate on finishing it will take pride of place on the fridge.

Well that was an interesting day!

Enjoyed the first 30ks, the roll out and pace setting was a great idea and created a big group travelling at a decent club standard pace which sailed us all through the strong head wind.

Punctured at 32k. The mechanic was passing and stopped to help which was very decent for a puncture.

Punctured again within 2kms. Doh.
    I put it down to a pinched tube and put another tube in, again helped by the mechanic who stopped again for me.

I was now at the very very back and was facing a lonely day until the food stop which I decided I'd skip and just take the food and eat on the bike to make up time.

I didn't even make it that far - punctured again before inistioge and that was me done. I have a brand new hard shell gatorskin tyre so it's defo a wheel rim, spoke or similar problem that's caused all the puntures and I couldn't go on puncturing all day.

Half an hour later I was in the broom wagon and I stayed which them for a few hours. They dropped me off for lunch as they went to collect an injured girl and one of the skoda cars brought the two of us back to the start.

Being in the broom showed me the amount of work that goes into the running of the event. While with them, There were loads of punctures and mech stuff to deal with, and we also heard of one serious enough medical issue.

Massive thanks to the members of Slaney CC who assisted me, I only hope I can repay the favour in the future.

Great route and I will be back next year.

The only downside (and it's only a small observation) to these skoda events is the marketing and branding stuff that goes on. I know it's necessary in a commercial world but it's starting to go a bit ott. Selling skoda gear at the start, the loud music, dj counting down to the start, and the finishers being treated as if they'd won a TDF stage to mont ventoux are examples. Judging by some of the faces at the start I don't think I'm the only one that thought this.
    However this doesn't take away from the huge work that is put in by local people to make this events happen and the benefit to local charities etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Well that was an interesting day!
    The only downside (and it's only a small observation) to these skoda events is the marketing and branding stuff that goes on. I know it's necessary in a commercial world but it's starting to go a bit ott. Selling skoda gear at the start, the loud music, dj counting down to the start, and the finishers being treated as if they'd won a TDF stage to mont ventoux are examples. Judging by some of the faces at the start I don't think I'm the only one that thought this.
    However this doesn't take away from the huge work that is put in by local people to make this events happen and the benefit to local charities etc.

Well they/skoda have to put something on to try and justiy the rip off €35 they charge to these events!!
    You could have done the Swords Cycling Club's sportiff today for €20.

Advertisement