Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

For those who do, what do you keep in your notebook?

• 23-12-2013 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

I love the idea of carrying a notebook, and while I mull a lot during the day I just never think anything deserves to be written down. I was therefore wondering, if any fellow boardsies on here do keep a notebook, what do you write in it, and when would you find yourself perusing it again?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Better suited to Creative Writing. Moving this there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I post in quick descriptions of faces or places. Notes that are important to the story I'm writing. Phone numbers of people who I should check with. Lines of dialogue. Facts that should be incorporated.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭FudgeBrace

If I ever think of something noteworthy or if I hear something on the television I like, I write in in my iPod in the notes app, or if I have a copy handy ill hot it down there. I don't think the purpose is to look at it later and use it in something else, but just to keep the writer I'm me writing more consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Arthur Rimbaud

I keep 2 notebooks: one is a writing journal, where I record writing progress, and write stream of consciousness journal entries. It has become a sort of daily writing exercise, for knapping the edge of the flint.

The other notebook is for drafts and re-drafts of poems and stories.

A useful notebook should be durable; portable, but not too small. I like these moleskines for the job, but there are plenty of decent, maybe better, brands. I have a friend who prefers not to write longhand, and he uses an ipad. I'm sure some people use their phones.

Do whatever works, but write often. I don't think you can be a good writer unless your writing is always with you.

For me, Just having the notebook in my coat can be enough to get the millstone grinding. Knowing it is there, I try to make every walk to the shops, train journey and dentist's appointment into an excuse to observe, to reflect on images, words, faces, shapes, possible phrases - all of this is potentially valuable poetic loot - and when a spark emerges, to put it onto the page as soon as possible.

And without wanting to labor the cliche, coffee shops are goldmines, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 HmmmGirl87

I write a phrase that pops into my head, or a certain way that I see something. The best time for me is when I am in bed, a keep a notebook close so I don't have to get out of bed, although my writing can be lopsidded due to my nocturnal scribbles.. When rereading the notebook, I then might chance upon a poem with one of the lines I wrote. If I sit in a park or a cafe, I tend not to write much.. it is usually in bed at night before I sleep.. or after a few jars!

• Advertisement
Advertisement