Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to solve recession - Remove female soldiers knickers!

• 19-09-2012 5:24pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭

This is how the economic problems facing the country are to be solved. Take 50 cent a week from a few dozen girls in the forces. You would think our politicians have more on their minds (do they have any?) than a few pairs of knickers. How many of them go into Leinster House with no underwear?
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2012/0919/1224324160465.html

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

€27.40 a year is nothing compared to some of the other allowances on that list. "annual allowances of €6,412 and €4,833, depending on rank, for officers trained in health and safety"... Jesus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

Why do the wimminz get an underwear allowance ?? :confused: Men wear underwear (well, boxers) too ... Do we not get a boxer allowance or are we supposed to wear the same smelly pair for a year?

Why do the wimminz get an underwear allowance ?? :confused: Men wear underwear (well, boxers) too ... Do we not get a boxer allowance or are we supposed to wear the same smelly pair for a year?
    Maybe it's for the likes of Sports bras to stop injury during training?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

smash wrote: »
    Maybe it's for the likes of Sports bras to stop injury during training?

ahhh well that answers my question :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Men wear underwear (well, boxers) too ...
    Not the commando unit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

This is how the economic problems facing the country are to be solved.

It is actually. Good economic discipline is essential whether its for large or tiny sums of money. People laughed at Ryanair when they banned staff from charging their phones in the office but it's indicative of a larger effort at reducing costs. On the other hand, the Irish government has pool financial controls and pays people allowances for silly things.

The old phrase: look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves is as true for governments as it is for people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

So they're gonna try take a pittance off the people with guns?

Nice one lads. Clever move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭An Coilean

Men were always in the Army, and get issued boxers as well as everything else they were supposed to wear while on duity, when wimminz were allowed in it was cheaper to give them an alowance to buy their own undies than for the QM to aquire and stock every size for them.
    A7 is bad enough without Quatermasters being expected to fit female soldiers with Green Bras.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why should anyone be paid to buy underwear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Hersheys

As mentioned above, sports bras would be considered PPE!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

Kelly Brook

davet82 wrote: »
    Kelly Brook
    She's paid to remove hers!

smash wrote: »
    She's paid to remove hers!

sometimes...

lets just talk about Kelly Brook anyways :D

davet82 wrote: »
    sometimes...

lets just talk about Kelly Brook anyways :D
    Can a mod change the thread title please...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Reminds me of this, http://www.independent.ie/national-news/no-sparing-berties-blusher-in-makeup-budget-253885.html

beggars belief, does anyone know if they still get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

AH still as classy as ever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

efb wrote: »

Boo hoo

• Registered Users Posts: 25,057 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Don't special branch and plain clothes Gardai get a clothing allowance too? Never really understood that one... If it was for uniforms then fair enough, but why an allowance for normal clothes? If it were stopped are a load of lads gonna turn up to work bollock naked?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

How about we get rid of our army. Radical cost cutting measures and all suggest something might have to go, let the Air Corps off with it. We can keep the Navy though.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

I think this is all just a cunning plan devised by General NoKnickers McO'Knickers.

Durty fecker.

• Advertisement

ooooh, well lets talk about everything that YOU want to talk about! :pac:

tis....

tis indeed :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

Don't special branch and plain clothes Gardai get a clothing allowance too? Never really understood that one... If it was for uniforms then fair enough, but why an allowance for normal clothes? If it were stopped are a load of lads gonna turn up to work bollock naked?

Well I think this makes sense, they are required to do heavy work in plain clothes. The clothes would put up with a lot of abuse in the course of duty.

It basically is a uniform to them.

Even in my job, if our own clothes get damage we are compensated for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

This also applies to office based gardai in HQ, anyone getting a promotion there is now expected to switch back to uniform. Apparently the allowance costs more than the uniform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

An underwear allowance???

I see it's only being abolished for new entrants. What about those who are already there? Surely more of a saving will be made going after all instead of new entrants.

I see from the irish times piece 10 out of 63 allowances are up for scrapping. Why not all of them.

What other hidden allowances are there?
    A bloody fanny pad allowance?

I'm actually getting my knickers in a twist over this. Why can't they buy their own knickers?

ilovesleep wrote: »
    I'm actually getting my knickers in a twist over this. Why can't they buy their own knickers?
    I thought you were bloke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

ilovesleep wrote: »

The army uniform consists of underwear as well. As said, its easier to offer an allowance then stock the required sizes in bulk

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

An Coilean wrote: »
    Men were always in the Army, and get issued boxers as well as everything else they were supposed to wear while on duity, when wimminz were allowed in it was cheaper to give them an alowance to buy their own undies than for the QM to aquire and stock every size for them.
    A7 is bad enough without Quatermasters being expected to fit female soldiers with Green Bras.

Male soldiers do not get issued boxers.

• Advertisement

Hersheys wrote: »
    As mentioned above, sports bras would be considered PPE!

Can they not buy their own bras out from their own wage?

Advertisement