Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are things looking up?

• 19-09-2012 9:45am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 216 ✭✭

Is it just me or are things beginning to look up regarding jobs? I have noticed and increase of jobs being created or is it just the media shoveling us the **** we want to hear and masking the fact that there are still huge job losses every day?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Still huge job losses. Still a long way to go before all the people made redundant in the past few years have jobs. I'm not even sure if the current job creation rate is making up for the jobs being lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

eth0 wrote: »
    Still huge job losses. Still a long way to go before all the people made redundant in the past few years have jobs. I'm not even sure if the current job creation rate is making up for the jobs being lost.
    I don't think it is covering it. You might hear this week that 50 jobs were created somewhere but that's doesn't cover the couple of hundred let go in Target. And that's just one company which has made people redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭BigFatGiant

Its just Enda trying to claim responsibility for creating these jobs. As if he is responsible for the success of EA computer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,407 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Our default setting is emmigration and misery,abandon all hope and get used to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Its just Enda trying to claim responsibility for creating these jobs. As if he is responsible for the success of EA computer games.

Enda and the cabinet spent all summer playing FIFA to bring those jobs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

Ireland can be likened to a dog with a cone on his neck looking up at the sky when it's raining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

There's plenty of jobs, provided you have the relevent qualifications and the required experience

You must be young op,the hope is still strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

There's plenty of jobs, provided you have the relevent qualifications and the required experience

Even then there are plenty of temporary "outsourcing preparation" jobs, 6 month contract to help a company put you and everyone else who works for the company in Ireland (except a few top lads) out of a job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

So this whole recession thing is imaginary?

Them troika lads are just after playing the best practical joke ever! Who says ze Germans don't have a sense of humour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

NO. That is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

When I was looking for work it was pretty much:

Job requires experience.

Require job for experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Chevolution

kneemos wrote: »
    Our default setting is emmigration and misery,abandon all hope and get used to it.

Lovely cheery thought to start the morning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

Gee Bag wrote: »
    So this whole recession thing is imaginary?

Them troika lads are just after playing the best practical joke ever! Who says ze Germans don't have a sense of humour.

Oh there was/is a recession, i'm just saying its an employers market now. So few jobs for such a large number of unemployed people means an employer can demand x degree and y number of years experience

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭working fool

I don't think anyone in this country has the qualifications to run a country if that's what ur getting at ? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Another 3 billion taken out of the economy in December

we are nowhere near the bottom yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

It's just things balancing themselves out again. There was always work in Ireland, even in the darkest days of the eighties,people still had work. The boom brought too many makeyuppey and unsustainable jobs, all of which must be eradicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

well there were 400 jobs announced in Galway yesterday and seemingly there is to be a major jobs announcement for Limerick today. I think that where the problem is, is people who were left go over the past few years mainly from the construction and surrounding areas, the majority of these people have families, kids going to school, houses they can't sell etc. So they can't get up and move to places where these jobs are being announced. These people are the ones who will find it the most difficult to get jobs, so we won't see a mojor shift in the unemployment figures, as it will probably be people just out of college acquiring them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

smash wrote: »
    I don't think it is covering it. You might hear this week that 50 jobs were created somewhere but that's doesn't cover the couple of hundred let go in Target. And that's just one company which has made people redundant.

Found it hilarious that the new Jelly Bean factory up by Blanch made front page of the metro for 25 new jobs.

So we need like 16,660 more small factories to fix up our unemployment issue with redundancy over the last few years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

Has anybody a link to how many people in work? say 2007 figure compared to now. I'm tired of hearing about the unemployment rate and how it has now stabilised, as far as I can see its stabilised since the emigration rate is so high.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

I genuinely don't think things are as bad as they were. I remember walking through Ennis early on November 2009, and basically the place was deserted. The apocalypse was upon us. Never happened. I am still not able to find a full time permanent job, but all I can do is keep up hope and doing whatever temp or part time gig comes up. The news from Europe is looking a bit more promising and hopefully they will get that EU money printer rolling (in a responsible manner) and bring some kind of stability back to the world. I have to admit people are under amazing financial strain and worry and the amount of personal tragedy in this recession is evident on every radio station and newspaper every day, but at least we didn't descend in to the madness of Greece. They are totally ****ed, we have hope at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

I genuinely don't think things are as bad as they were. I remember walking through Ennis early on November 2009, and basically the place was deserted. The apocalypse was upon us. Never happened. I am still not able to find a full time permanent job, but all I can do is keep up hope and doing whatever temp or part time gig comes up. The news from Europe is looking a bit more promising and hopefully they will get that EU money printer rolling (in a responsible manner) and bring some kind of stability back to the world. I have to admit people are under amazing financial strain and worry and the amount of personal tragedy in this recession is evident on every radio station and newspaper every day, but at least we didn't descend in to the madness of Greece. They are totally ****ed, we have hope at least.

I came from a month out of the country in the same month November 2009 and got the bus from Dublin Airport to Galway. It so depressing, I had missed the express bus so got one that went through all the small towns, I was one of five passengers who left Dublin. Now I was suffering post holiday blues but also I had just missed the big floods and every town we went through was deserted and ravaged by the floods, the worst was Ballinasloe with no inhabitants and sandbags all over the place, it looked post apocalyptic.

I think around that time people were over all depressed and worried about an all out collapse, that their savings may have disappeared. Now people are less worried as they know there won't be one big bang collapse it will be just drip drip. Quantitative Easing, goverment bonds will just gradually inflate our savings away:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Holy crap.. have you seen the new cover for EA Sports FIFA13?

ea.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

'we have hope at least'

While we have a greedy top establishment here in this country, I don't think so.

We have The Gathering to look foward to,we can show the Americans how we have "the craic"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,971 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Things will be looking up when people looking for slave-labour interns can't get any takers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

ilovesleep wrote: »
    'we have hope at least'

While we have a greedy top establishment here in this country, I don't think so.

I don't buy the myth of the greedy top establishment. They are not untouchable, people power would be all it would take to really force change. But guess what?...most people don't give a damn about physically trying to affect politics, especially when times were good. If you tried to organise any kind of political mass movement to protest, you would get unending messages of support, but nobody would bother their holes to turn up. The mindset in this country is always "Shur someone else will do it, there will be enough of em there". Personal responsibility across all areas of life or lack of it, is also a massive reason that we are in this mess. Those in power have a huge amount to answer for, but aren't we the ones who elected them? and more than likely because we voted for them last time. I will continue to hope that things will get better.

Advertisement