Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HONDA ACCORD AIRCONDITIONING IS FREEZING

Options
  • 21-08-2012 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

2011 Honda accord executive model. Since I got the car about 6 months ago I usually keep the aircon on auto at 16 or 17 degrees because I like it cold. But now with the weather getting colder particularly first thing in the morning I need to warm the car up, but this doesn't seem to happen at all in the Honda. Even when driving at the motorway 120 k/hr limit or long drives it doesnt heat up at all when turned up even to highest temp. Actually have to knock the a/c off altogether to get warm. Anyone have any similar experience with accords or other Honda?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Mine works fine. I've a different problem though. Some sensor yoke on the fuel pump has shown up an error. Causes the entire pump to shut down. Apparently It's happening to a few cars locally i.e South East of the country and Honda believe its acid in the diesel eroding a metal part of a valve on the pump. They are replacing under warranty and are looking to put an extended warranty on the part.

There are 3 to be replaced in my local Honda garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A 2011 Accord is still under Honda warranty so if you think there is a problem then bring it to a main dealer to be examined.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Lambasted wrote: »
    2011 Honda accord executive model. Since I got the car about 6 months ago I usually keep the aircon on auto at 16 or 17 degrees because I like it cold. But now with the weather getting colder particularly first thing in the morning I need to warm the car up, but this doesn't seem to happen at all in the Honda. Even when driving at the motorway 120 k/hr limit or long drives it doesnt heat up at all when turned up even to highest temp. Actually have to knock the a/c off altogether to get warm. Anyone have any similar experience with accords or other Honda?
    Before you do anything, check the coolant level. Assuming that's OK, bring it straight to a dealership.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Anan1 wrote: »
    Before you do anything, check the coolant level. Assuming that's OK, bring it straight to a dealership.

....not sure about OP's car specifically, but if it's climate control that it's fitted with, it does not rely on the cars coolant system - the compressor does all the work.

Either way, a 2011 car is under warranty, and I wouldn't touch anything on it- that's what the warranty is for.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

.....Honda believe its acid in the diesel....

....acid in the diesel...........hmmm..........there's a preponderance of That Kind of Thing on the top r.h. corner of the country.....ahem.....where does your diesel come from..........?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....not sure about OP's car specifically, but if it's climate control that it's fitted with, it does not rely on the cars coolant system - the compressor does all the work.
    The car's not warming up. ;)
    Either way, a 2011 car is under warranty, and I wouldn't touch anything on it- that's what the warranty is for.
    Absolutely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

....acid in the diesel...........hmmm..........there's a preponderance of That Kind of Thing on the top r.h. corner of the country.....ahem.....where does your diesel come from..........?

I use a couple of local garages but I dont know if most garages are probably fed by one main store anyway? Not good anyway.

Anan1 wrote: »
    The car's not warming up. ;)

Absolutely.

I know, but he says " it doesnt heat up at all when turned up even to highest temp", so I'm assuming he's twirling a knob on the dash - which is why I'm guessing it's not engine related.

Now, if the ENGINE isn't warming up, that'd be on the temp gauge on the dash - perhaps OP could clarify that the needle on the engine temp does come off the bottom into the normal range (90deg). If it does, and the heating/ac/cc system isn't playing ball, then I'd suspect it's not engine related.

There again, if I had an '11 Honda, I'd have just dropped it at the dealer, and let them tell me what is !! :p

Ode To The Motorist

I know, but he says " it doesnt heat up at all when turned up even to highest temp", so I'm assuming he's twirling a knob on the dash - which is why I'm guessing it's not engine related.

Now, if the ENGINE isn't warming up, that'd be on the temp gauge on the dash - perhaps OP could clarify that the needle on the engine temp does come off the bottom into the normal range (90deg). If it does, and the heating/ac/cc system isn't playing ball, then I'd suspect it's not engine related.

There again, if I had an '11 Honda, I'd have just dropped it at the dealer, and let them tell me what is !! :p
    I see what you mean, although I wouldn't be surprised if the car doesn't even have a temp gauge! I'd still check the coolant as a precaution, but hey either way it's a warranty issue. Assuming of course that the car's been properly serviced..

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Man of Aran

Sounds like it s a hot water /water valve related issue. Right now the a/c is cooling and is "dominant" whereas there may be little or less hot water to the heater core to counter-balance that. (water temp or water flow rate -due to faulty valve/restricted or air lock or low water in the hot water coil)

As asked, how is the temp gauge indication etc when running at normal speeds or engine 'warmed up' with a/c off.
    On auto or reheat systems , if the cool coil is providing let's say 10,000Btu/hr of cooling @a given rpm then to hold the interior temp constant whilst providing dehumidification, we need to add a similar Q of heat ,,, by pulsing or modulating the water valve.
    A fast response PID uP controller sensing RA and DA keeps it all nicely under control usually.

Get it looked into at the dealership would be best if you are not in a position to do more Sherlock Holmes deductions on it.
    Good Luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement