Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Legitimate Rape'

• 20-08-2012 5:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭

Well here's a big steaming pile of WTF for the day. Keep in mind that this man sits on the House Committee for Science and Technology in the United States Congress.
    Rep. Todd Akin, the newly-christened GOP Senate nominee in Missouri, said in an interview airing Sunday that “legitimate rape” rarely causes pregnancy.
    Explaining his no-exceptions policy on abortions, Akin was asked why he opposes abortion even when the pregnancy is the result of rape.

“First of all, from what I understand from doctors, (pregnancy from rape) is really rare,” Akin told KTVI-TV in a clip posted to YouTube by the Democratic super PAC American Bridge. “If it’s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.”
    Akin added: “But let’s assume that maybe that didn’t work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.”
    Source

The combination of slut shaming and ignorance embedded in this statement is mind-boggling. That this man could potentially become a US Senator is terrifying.

Sadly, the whole idea that there is 'legitimate rape' versus 'kinda fake rape' or 'well she was asking for it' rape is not uncommon. In most sane countries, people who think like this get laughed out of the room, not elected to national office; unfortunately the US seemingly no longer qualifies as a sane country.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Someone ought to illegitamtely rape him up the jacksie.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

So, basically the female body can decide at will whether to conceive or not, especially in extremely stressful situations such as when she's being violated against her will. Seems legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

As Abe Simpson said about his 49 star US flag.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I recognise Missouri.

I think we can now see why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Someone ought to illegitamtely rape him up the jacksie.

Ugh..do I have to?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

His first name is Todd so in fairness he was a cūnt long before he came up with this nonsense!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

An interesting idea...I suggest he explains that in further detail to a group of women who got raped and see how long he stands this battle. I'd contribute to pay his flight to Rwanda to make a start.

It's been a while since I heard such bull****

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bizarre. If he says he was taken "out of context", somebody should boot the bollix off him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Utter Muppet.

In late June 2011, Akin was discussing NBC's recent removal of the words "under God" from a video clip of the Pledge of Allegiance. Akin told radio host Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council that:
    Well, I think NBC has a long record of being very liberal, and at the heart of liberalism really is a hatred for God and a belief that government should replace God.... This is a systematic effort to try to separate our faith and God, which is a source in our belief in individual liberties, from our country. And when you do that you tear the heart out of our country.

*cough* the what now???

Also

Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Voted YES on the proposal of an amendment to the Constitution stating: "Marriage in the US shall consist only of the union of a man and a woman. Neither this Constitution, nor the constitution of any State, shall be construed to require that marriage or the legal incidents thereof be conferred upon any union other than the union of a man and a woman."

Akin also co-sponsored a bill requiring government services in English only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

MadsL wrote: »
    Utter Muppet.

In late June 2011, Akin was discussing NBC's recent removal of the words "under God" from a video clip of the Pledge of Allegiance. Akin told radio host Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council that:
    Well, I think NBC has a long record of being very liberal, and at the heart of liberalism really is a hatred for God and a belief that government should replace God.... This is a systematic effort to try to separate our faith and God, which is a source in our belief in individual liberties, from our country. And when you do that you tear the heart out of our country.
    [31]

*cough* the what now???

Given that "under God" was only added to the pledge of allegiance in 1954, it's difficult to see what he's getting upset about..

I'm sure women everywhere will be interested in learning his "contraception through the power of the mind" technique though. What a colossal tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Benny_Cake wrote: »
    Given that "under God" was only added to the pledge of allegiance in 1954, it's difficult to see what he's getting upset about..

I'm sure women everywhere will be interested in learning his "contraception through the power of the mind" technique though. What a colossal tool.

Is that similar to the rape prevention method of "covering up yourself, you damned, seductive woman?"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭SocSocPol

Well if he fails to get elected in Missuri, he's a shoo in, in Donegal!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

You need to see the whole interview and stop reading between the lines.

His comments are skewed and wrong when focusing on this point but his principle and general statement is the unborn should be protected. He also argues that rape should not be a reason to kill a person.

Agreed this is a highly emotive and debatable issue. I dont agree that a women raped should go through the pain of child birth however i dont agree a life should be taken because its not wanted.

I am glad i have not had to make this decision. Its a very difficult one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

He also argues that rape should not be a reason to kill a person.

I thought they only have the death penalty for murderers, not rapists? Although like you I am against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I thought they only have the death penalty for murderers, not rapists? Although like you I am against it.

I ment the unborn child. He is viewing this as an unborn person not just a fetus. If you catch my drift. He is debating at what time life exists.

Most of us debate that life exists when a child is born but tell this to a mother who looses her child at 10 weeks.

This is a highly emotive issue and again glad i dont have to legislate for it.,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

I'm calling shenanigans on this whole thing, the latest article has an apology from him and has a statement from the Romney/Ryan tag-team-of-clowns.

It's all staged so that Romney and Ryan can release something to further their political goals. Both are against abortion except for in the case of rape, they want to hammer this opinion home to get more rednecks to vote for them.

Both presidential outfits have been trying to stay away from the thorny issue of abortion, as per usual, and this is a way for Romney & Ryan to get their opinion out there in an indirect way, while Obama can't really come out and say anything now other than to disagree with Akin, which is what Romney & Ryan have already done and thus he's just seen to be agreeing with them and in the eyes of conservative yank voters, he's simply playing catch up to Romney & Ryan.

Shenanigans. Shenanigans. Shenanigans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

You need to see the whole interview and stop reading between the lines.

His comments are skewed and wrong when focusing on this point but his principle and general statement is the unborn should be protected. He also argues that rape should not be a reason to kill a person.

Agreed this is a highly emotive and debatable issue. I dont agree that a women raped should go through the pain of child birth however i dont agree a life should be taken because its not wanted.

I am glad i have not had to make this decision. Its a very difficult one.

I did watch the interview. He was being questioned about when abortion may or may not be viewed as appropriate. When asked about abortion in the case of a woman who became pregnant because of a rape, he tried to assert that she wasn't likely to become pregnant if the rape was 'legitimate'.

Setting aside the issue of what does or does not constitute a 'legitimate' rape, the idea that the likelihood of becoming pregnant as the result of a sexual assault is significantly less than the likelihood of becoming pregnant from a consensual sexual encounter is absurd. Yet he is using this as a justification to prevent women who have been raped from having access to an abortion - because he thinks she is unlikely to become pregnant anyway. This is patently false.

But, hey, who needs science when a woman's uterus can magically discern if a sexual encounter was consensual or not?

The mind boggles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Both are against abortion except for in the case of rape, they want to hammer this opinion home to get more rednecks to vote for them.

Supporting that view doesn't make you a redneck

I'm calling shenanigans on this whole thing, the latest article has an apology from him and has a statement from the Romney/Ryan tag-team-of-clowns.

It's all staged so that Romney and Ryan can release something to further their political goals. Both are against abortion except for in the case of rape, they want to hammer this opinion home to get more rednecks to vote for them.

Both presidential outfits have been trying to stay away from the thorny issue of abortion, as per usual, and this is a way for Romney & Ryan to get their opinion out there in an indirect way, while Obama can't really come out and say anything now other than to disagree with Akin, which is what Romney & Ryan have already done and thus he's just seen to be agreeing with them and in the eyes of conservative yank voters, he's simply playing catch up to Romney & Ryan.

Shenanigans. Shenanigans. Shenanigans.

I think you need to take your tin foil hat off for a minute. Akin has a long history of these kinds of crazy statements, which is exactly why his opponent, Claire McCaskill, wanted to run against him. He's this election cycle's version of the "I am not a witch" lady.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

This is why the republican party is a complete and utter joke, they let clowns like this stand up and spout their bull**** with a (R) after their names. The funnier thing is that people actually vote to elect such clowns and give them actual power and a forum on which to keep spouting off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm completely prochoice and a lot of the tactics and statements from prolife people get me quite angry (this guy is no exception). But I can understand the no rape exception, because as far as anyone is concerned, it's either a living person in there or it isn't regardless of how it was conceived. It would be even worse "pro-punishment/anti women" stance if they made an "it's not her fault" exception - that would mean they aren't actually pro life at all.

But legitimate rape? the body can magically stop pregnancy if it wants to? Needs a good kick up the backside

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

If his sister, or his friend, or his girlfriend/wife got pregnant as a result of having been raped, I wonder if he'd really say directly to them:

"Well you got pregnant, so you obviously wanted it to happen. You wanted to be raped, and you enjoyed it."

It's absolutely sick.

And it's really sad that these beliefs are still held, in this day and age. And particularly by someone in a position of such political persuasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

SocSocPol wrote: »
    Half of Kerry are queueing up to shake his hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

SocSocPol wrote: »
    ?

What's that supposed to mean?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    This is why the republican party is a complete and utter joke, they let clowns like this stand up and spout their bull**** with a (R) after their names. The funnier thing is that people actually vote to elect such clowns and give them actual power and a forum on which to keep spouting off.
    Well they're adaptive. If this stuff didn't go down well with their electorate they'd not come out with it, so clearly it does(like it does with some of the croooked gobshítes we've voted in over the years). There was a time when your average American was a member of one of the most informed people on earth. Sadly caught between their mass media and failing pre college education system that's so not the case today.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Todd Umptious

frag420 wrote: »
    His first name is Todd so in fairness he was a cūnt long before he came up with this nonsense!!

Well this is awkward:eek::eek::D

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Supporting that view doesn't make you a redneck

:D:D:D:D hahah of course it does.
    I think you need to take your tin foil hat off for a minute.

Maybe, maybe not, but I'm not wrong about Romney & Ryan using it as an opportunity to lay their cards out while Obama can't really do anything other than watch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Am I the only one who thinks that he meant "legitimate" rape to mean a brutal assault where sex was non-consensual, as opposed to the type of "rape" which happens nowadays sometimes, whereby two people have consensual sex, but the woman decides afterwards she didn't actually want it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

:D:D:D:D hahah of course it does.

Says the pinko liberal out of touch elite

We don't like your type around here, go back to your city :mad:

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm completely prochoice and a lot of the tactics and statements from prolife people get me quite angry (this guy is no exception). But I can understand the no rape exception, because as far as anyone is concerned, it's either a living person in there or it isn't regardless of how it was conceived. It would be even worse "pro-punishment/anti women" stance if they made an "it's not her fault" exception - that would mean they aren't actually pro life at all.e

I agree - I actually think the 'no abortion under any circumstances' approach is more logically consistent and less of a not-so-sly commentary on the sexual activities of women than the "only in the case of rape or incest" position.

Maybe, maybe not, but I'm not wrong about Romney & Ryan using it as an opportunity to lay their cards out while Obama can't really do anything other than watch.

Of course Obama is watching and rubbing his hands with glee. Why does he need to say anything while this man's campaign collapses in front of the whole country? He desperately needs McCaskill to hang on to her seat to maintain a Democratic majority in the Senate, and gaffes like this are manna from heaven. Historically these kinds of mistakes can cause around a 10-point swing in political support, and that is just what Senator McCaskill needs right now. Plus I'll bet dollars to donuts that she gets a significant uptick in donations to her campaign from angry women across the country.

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Says the pinko liberal out of touch elite

We don't like your type around here, go back to your city :mad:

Vigilante modding? :p:p:p

Disagreeing with abortion is really out of touch?........man, I must've stepped into a time machine thinking it was a phone box last night and it brought me back to 1970s Ireland, except it has the internets, something's gone wrong with the flux capacitor. Doc, Doc, what do I do? :confused::confused::confused:

Advertisement