Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how do you know the date

• 25-10-2011 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cliona8969

i see people posting in different forums saying "oh it's my boyfriend and my anniversary today" how do they all know when they're anniversary is?
    is it really a clear date when they got together? met for the first time or what?
    i know roughly when i met my significant other but not an exact date..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

I would presume it's the date they got together, rather than the date they met...it's the anniversary of their relationship they are referring to isn't it? Perhaps there was a specific birthday or event which makes the date easy to remember? Or maybe they just have good memories?

I met my other half at an annual ball so there's a specific date...which I'd have to look up but himself has a good memory for things like that. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭sarahbro

I know the date we first talked and the date we first met (though we met online so easy to check back!)
    :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

yeah ... had the girlfriend mention to me (casually) yesterday.

next monday will be 6 years ago that we met !!

We're together almost 2yrs .... (have no idea on when specifically).... to me it doesn't matter WHEN we met but that we are together ...why complicate it by setting markers of dates ?

just enjoy being together instead of focusing on an "anniversary"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I remember the date we met and had our first kiss, as it was a friend's birthday.
    It's nice to celebrate the milestone in your relationship. We will probably get married on that date too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,400 ✭✭✭RedXIV

The day we met was also the day we kissed and we pretty much hit it off from the get go :) makes it nice and easy to remember :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

We met on his birthday. We got together several months later. I remember the date because it falls on another birthday of a friend and because he asked me out and went on a date that day, so there was a defined starting point. But we really don't do anything more than "oh look, we've been together X years today!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

We met at a wedding, spent the whole night chatting, didn't kiss until a week later and didn't become officially a couple until a few months later but as we were both mad about each other from the night of the wedding onwards we count that as our anniversary, there was no friendship stage so to say it started at a later date wouldn't have made sense to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭dammitjanet

We've two anniversaries- when we first kissed and when we first said we love eachother.
    Our official anniversary is when we first said we love each other.
    We don't really celebrate the first kiss because it is also the anniversary of my grandfathers passing. Instead, every year on that date we visit his grave and then spend the rest of the day watching films and eatting ice cream.

OP, there's no rules to choosing an anniversary. If you can't remember when you met/kissed/etc maybe choose a day with importance to you? It could have already happened or it may be in the future, just have fun with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

I'm the same as dammitjanet, my granda passed on our first anniversary so its an odd type of day. Can't remember the date that we went on our first anniversary so we just stuck with it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

First kiss.

Lying on the grass in Stephen's Green one April afternoon 27.5 years ago...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

First date.

Frankie's Steakhouse in Temple Bar, followed by a night of boozery in The Foggy Dew.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Not a clue - we've a vague notion of the time of year (to within a few months) that we got together. We do know what year it was though... Christ, we're a bit rubbish :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

We had our first kiss at midnight New Years Eve - no excuse really for forgetting that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I count mine from when we had our first date, which was also the first time I met him in person and we had our first kisses :)

Didn't have "the talk" till a while later but I count it from our first date because we were pretty much a couple from then, just unofficial if you get me!

Can be different for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

Don't remember the exact date we met but there is a specific date for our first official date which was nearly a year after we met. That's over five and half years ago now. Have talked about getting married on that same date.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

To be honest we haven't really had that talk, there's a couple of dates that are important. 11th December was when we first met properly after originally meeting for a couple of mins on the night of my grad about 6 weeks before. Our first kiss was the same day. He asked me out on 30 October (1 year ago this Sunday :D) but we didn't really get together until December.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

Have a few dates that are rememberal to us but I remember the date we got together because it was on a friends birthday and we were having a few drinks together.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Our anniversary is when we finally kissed each other and admitted we wanted to be more than friends, after months of dancing around it, innocently flirting and cuddling and holding hands...

It was during a house party, watching Spinal tap (!) but can't remember if it was before or after midnight, I just know we settled on the 20th. For some reason I can remember the date we said I love you for the first time, but it's not celebrated, just kinda look back and "awwwh"

We got engaged on our anniversary date, would be nice to get married on the same date too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I have a bit of a daft habit for paying attention to these things.
    Remember the date we met and first date etc.
    I suppose I was just paying attention because it was special.
    I have cinema stubs and other keepsakes from early dates too.
    I'm a sap! :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I count from the date we first kissed n did the deed, cos I can remember that. I don't remember when we had 'the talk' or said I love you, but it was quite soon, and we were pretty much a couple from the first kiss anyway. We'd been friends a while so it felt very easy and natural, I never had the 'will he call' stress from previous relationships.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Contessa Raven

We count our anniversary from the day he asked me to be his girlfriend and we made it official. We were seeing each other for 2 weeks before that.

Everyone is different. Some will count the day they met, others the day they kissed and others will take the day they became official. It's really up to the couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,329 ✭✭✭✭starlit

If there is something significant about the date you will remember whether its when ye met, first kiss or first date or when ye get together. I am good to remember dates, I remembered the date we met, first kiss and went on our first date with my ex and lads I have gone out with the once. Though none of my past loves or relationships lasted enough to remember even an anniversary or any thing significant like valentines day, never been with someone on that day so never really celebrated it.

Good to know that romance isn't dying! Old fashioned courtship still exists!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

if i manage to remember the current date and someone's birthday, i'm doing well

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

doovdela wrote: »
    If there is something significant about the date you will remember whether its when ye met, first kiss or first date or when ye get together. I am good to remember dates, I remembered the date we met, first kiss and went on our first date with my ex and lads I have gone out with the once. Though none of my past loves or relationships lasted enough to remember even an anniversary or any thing significant like valentines day, never been with someone on that day so never really celebrated it.

Good to know that romance isn't dying! Old fashioned courtship still exists!

Actually my current boyfriend is the only one I remember the date for. My ex of a few years ago, I couldn't even remember when we got together, as I had known him for years. I think I had decided it was summer...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 16,186 ✭✭✭✭Maple

I know the date we first met, the date of our first kiss, 8 years ago.

I know the date this year that he asked me to think about a relationship, the date of our first kiss as an official couple.

Given the length of time we know one another and the entwined nature of our lives and love, I know all the dates and am so excited at making more significant dates to remember.

:o

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I met my husband the first day that I went to UCD and we both remember meeting one another but neither of us have a clue when that was - remember saying to my late mother that the men seemed nice in UCD :D

We kept on bumping into one another, yesterday was actually 14 years since we were formally introduced but we count from when he asked me out on our first date/first date which was very close together. As we have been together a lot longer than we have been married we still make a huge fuss over that, having said that we still at least say every 29th of every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,546 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

So far, I'm remembering the date my boyfriend asked me out very well!

It was yesterday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

CathyMoran wrote: »
    As we have been together a lot longer than we have been married we still make a huge fuss over that,

That bit never fades. We're now married almost twice as long as we were going out but that April 26th is still the most important date for us...

I know the date we first met, but I can't really remember the date we first hooked up, but I also know the date we had our first "date" (lol, we did things backwards). I'm the type of person who remembers dates, but don't really hold any sway for me. Maybe our wedding anniversary will mean something to me, but otherwise those are just dates!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I remember the date we first met. November 25th, we got engaged on the same date 7 years later. Next month our fist meeting will have been 12 years ago. I actually can't remember what it was like not to know him.

Advertisement