Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HOW MUCH WOULD YOU PAY???

• 13-03-2011 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

reciently i have decided to make up some garden products but im stuck on prices
    i could do with your help maybe you can tell me
    (1) what price would you be happy to pay for each item
    (2) what is the max price you would pay for each item

honest answers would be very helpfull + any other comments
    thanks
    P1020114.jpg?t=1300052177
    P1030096.jpg?t=1300052177
    18may2010007.jpg?t=1300052699
    DSCN3251.jpg?t=1300052699
    ABOVE PICTURES 2-3 seater planter bench plants not included:)

P1020909.jpg?t=1300052699
    ABOVE PICTURES 3ft window box also medium planter box

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭soundsham

€80-€90 for 2-3 seater
    €20-€5 for window box or planting box

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭THE LINK WALSH

Id reckon you might squeeze €100 out of the seat thing.

The window box and planting box look decent,its hard to get nice ones,those would be a winner id say,€20-25 wouldnt seem too bad for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭kitchens decks

thanks guys, good to hear the feedbackicon14.gif

if anyone viewing this could please take just a min to reply with what price you would be willing to pay for these items that would be great,
    i will wait for a few more replys before i post the cost of making them and how much i was selling for i dont want to sway the answers i get by posting it just yet
    thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

€120 for 2-3 seater
    €25 for planter
    €20 for window box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭tipperary

Would agree with Dixiefly about what I would pay. That said I would expect the cost to be nearly twice that.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

€15-20 for the window box
    €25-30 for the planter
    €100-120 for the seat planter

Nice looking products :)

Good Luck with the venture

DC

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

thanks

Have you any idea on where you intend to sell them? From your home only???
    Have you approached any Garden centres/Hardware stores ...even if they are there only on display&details ???
    Have a look at what it costs you in Materials and in Manufacturing and indeed designing for each piece. Have you found similar products can you match/better the Price and indeed service?
    You could look at Agri Shows and the like durning the coming summer...Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 18 00D91

Wow they all look great and very well made. Im going to be making a playground for the kids during the summer, do you think you could make Swing sets, wooden sandpits, wooden frames for a slide etc etc ???

• Registered Users Posts: 46 JackPerry

Hi,
    The garden furniture items seem to be well made. However I have another suggestion.I have been looking for Adirondack chairs here in Ireland and cannot seem to fine any. They can be ordered from England but I would prefer to have them made here.
    There are plans available to download on how to construct the chairs but it would be important to use the most authentic plans.
    Maybe you would be interested.

• Advertisement

jezko wrote: »
    Have you any idea on where you intend to sell them? From your home only???
    Have you approached any Garden centres/Hardware stores ...even if they are there only on display&details ???
    Have a look at what it costs you in Materials and in Manufacturing and indeed designing for each piece. Have you found similar products can you match/better the Price and indeed service?
    You could look at Agri Shows and the like durning the coming summer...Good luck with it

i made a few late last year and displayed them in garden centres local to me but i couldnt ask for money for displaying them so it cost me €€€, i didnt mind much as i thought i would make money back on sales from them displays but only one sold out of 4 displays in 5 months!!! i worked out my costs time etc and did my best to keep costs as low as pos without making them look cheap (more expensive the timber the more i had to charge) i think i found the right balance coz they look good and strong, any shows would be a great way to put the product out there but money being tight i cant afford to take the risk unless i was sure i could make a profit.... how can anyone start a business in our country the way it is!!:(

thanks for your commentsicon14.gif

00D91 wrote: »
    Wow they all look great and very well made. Im going to be making a playground for the kids during the summer, do you think you could make Swing sets, wooden sandpits, wooden frames for a slide etc etc ???

thanks, i have never been one to turn down work....but ... at the moment im trying to stick to products which im set up to make other products like swing sets, slides would need fixtures fittings which i would need to buy and would cost me more because i dont have a supplier for them. sandpits ya no problem they would be simple to make as they are just timber no problem there
    thanks for you comments :)

JackPerry wrote: »
    Hi,
    The garden furniture items seem to be well made. However I have another suggestion.I have been looking for Adirondack chairs here in Ireland and cannot seem to fine any. They can be ordered from England but I would prefer to have them made here.
    There are plans available to download on how to construct the chairs but it would be important to use the most authentic plans.
    Maybe you would be interested.

do they work out expensive to import???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

Seater €70 - €100 I seen the same last year in woodies on special for €65 in fairness yours looks much sturdier! and if you live in Dublin i'd gladly buy one off you.

Pots - €15 and €20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Staplor

Decoda wrote: »
    €15-20 for the window box
    €25-30 for the planter
    €100-120 for the seat planter

Nice looking products :)

Good Luck with the venture

DC

This seems about right to me, maybe a little more if they are treated and weather ready

tipperary wrote: »
    Would agree with Dixiefly about what I would pay. That said I would expect the cost to be nearly twice that.

i presume you mean 'cost' as in what i spend on material??
    i made the first bench but worked out too expensive so the second i used timbers that didnt cost as much but i didnt want to make them from cheap cheap timbers i would rather they look good and last than look cheap and fall apart. so far it seems people dont want to spend that little bit extra for a product that lasts longer and looks better ,,, but i guess people are being more careful how they spend money ...cant blame them
    thanks for comments

Kitchen decks, the adirondack chair available in UK costs £90 ( approx. €103) including delivery to Ireland.
    It comes in kit form with all fixings supplied. The majority of the pieces are pre drilled but the remainder have to be done by the buyer. The timber is tanalised and can be left as it is or painted.

tan11ie wrote: »
    Seater €70 - €100 I seen the same last year in woodies on special for €65 in fairness yours looks much sturdier! and if you live in Dublin i'd gladly buy one off you.

Pots - €15 and €20

im up against woodies who can sell for half the price they can afford to sell so cheap as they would sell lots more , and you make a good point , what i always say to people cheap mite not last as long as something hand made , i enjoy making these spend a nice amount of time on each bench
    thanks for your comments i can msg you with link to my on-line ad for you to take a look at

JackPerry wrote: »
    Kitchen decks, the adirondack chair available in UK costs £90 ( approx. €103) including delivery to Ireland.
    It comes in kit form with all fixings supplied. The majority of the pieces are pre drilled but the remainder have to be done by the buyer. The timber is tanalised and can be left as it is or painted.
    thats not a bad price , whoever makes them has set up machines and maybe a line to run them off quick so they are cost effictive, for me to make just one i would have to figure out best way to make ,make a list of timbers obviously not very cost effictive to make just one or two, very nice chair tho, would be tempted to try 1 see how it looks and what it take to make , if you have internet link for plans i would like to have a look , put it on my list of (things i would like to make)

Kitchen Decks.
    See attached pdf. This seems to be one of the better plans and seems to be close to the original design. There are lots of models and plans available but some look fairly shabby. The UK company's version is close to this design. The chairs are American in origin and I understand the best versions are made from cedar.The UK company uses scandanavian redwood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

how much would you say it would cost to build a large sandpit? 2m square maybe?

€100 for your seat and €25 for the planters, look good by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

i made a few late last year and displayed them in garden centres local to me but i couldnt ask for money for displaying them so it cost me €€€, i didnt mind much as i thought i would make money back on sales from them displays but only one sold out of 4 displays in 5 months!!! i worked out my costs time etc and did my best to keep costs as low as pos without making them look cheap (more expensive the timber the more i had to charge) i think i found the right balance coz they look good and strong, any shows would be a great way to put the product out there but money being tight i cant afford to take the risk unless i was sure i could make a profit.... how can anyone start a business in our country the way it is!!:(

thanks for your commentsicon14.gif

Have you looked into displaying in the likes of ... Bloom... Tullow show, Plough championships etc... I can Imagine it costs a BOMB to get a pitch...
    But maybe as a start up Business (Are you based in a Rural/Urban area? ) You could ask for a special rate ...

Maybe it's time for these kind of shows to "Show off" New Businesses and Rural/Urban Enterprises not already Well Established as seems to be the Norm.

You look to have a Great Product that is "IRISH" Made... (Ok so maybe the timber used Might not be..) Can they find a Space to fit in you in??

(I hope someone in such shows reads this and have a Eureka Moment)

And if you Did decided to show at these kind of Shows have a Wider selection to display of made goods (Smaller/Cheaper/Better) People Might Buy there and Then and pay for the cost of the Show..

Another thought .... if you are a customer of BOI ..am sure they had Day's where local business were allowed to display their good/services in local branches ???

Paddy's Day Another Chance for Local communities to show off local Startup Businesses/Enterprises.. Fixed pitches along a main street and don't Charge a fortune ... it would be in the Interest of the Council to have your business succeed... Rates etc....

With all these State Agencies that are there to "Help" Us ... Is there None for Start Up Businesses to help show off this kind of Good/Service?

Farmers Markets... Have some Benches for Shoppers to sit on and have your Details on display ...

And of course you always have the Internet ....

Sorry it's Long and winded, Am waiting/looking for my own Eureka Moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭redser7

Check if there is a local Transiton Towns running. They are great for running car boot sales and market days. Perfect for your type of enterprise. http://transitiontownsireland.ning.com/

Consider the standard picnic bench with built-in seating. Always in high demand. Know a guy in Shannon who knocks them out and makes a good return through the summer months. He has the process down pat and can knock them out pretty fast and tailor make lengths for people if they need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭roonimirza

I am looking for some aswell, if you can PM details, may be I take few please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 la poim

Hi
    I would be interested in two of your bench planters
    can you PM cost and contact details
    Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holuc

Expect to pay
    150-170 for the 2/3 seater.
    40 for the 3ft box
    25 for the medium box.

would like to pay

They look fairly well made, are they lined inside so you can put soil in directly rather than having the plants in pots.

Can you put your prices just to see how much they are!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

how much do the materials cost?

Overature wrote: »
    how much do the materials cost?

on each bench i would prob make a profit of €45 -€50 materials used , timber - woodglue - screws - pins also picking timber up from sawmill and if i need to deliver i have to take fuel costs into account

thanks
    P1020114.jpg?t=1300052177
    P1030096.jpg?t=1300052177
    18may2010007.jpg?t=1300052699
    DSCN3251.jpg?t=1300052699
    ABOVE PICTURES 2-3 seater planter bench plants not included:)

P1020909.jpg?t=1300052699
    ABOVE PICTURES 3ft window box also medium planter box

prices are as follows

planter bench €120

window box €16 only orders of 3 or more

medium planter €25 only orders of 2 or more

i worked out my prices from cost of material, time spent and value for money to the buyer, i tried to keep prices as low as i could without using cheap timbers. i have seen a flatpack version of this product and it didnt seem worth the money it cost (€175) my bench is hand made from raw material with strong timbers and a nice ammount of time went into making it its for sale at €120 which i think is good value.
    where some products say "only orders of two or more" this is because timbers used only come in long lenghts and if i only make 1 i would have alot of material left over so it makes more sense to only sell two or more.

building downturn has cost me my cabinet making job so im trying something new, if people are interested in what i make i might be lucky and start my own thing going here, garden centres would be a great way to get the products out there , 100% irish made this has to be a plus.
    if anyone wants to order anything just pm me and i will get back to you.
    will they sell ? am i wasting my time??

lets see what happensicon11.gif heres to the upturn!!!!icon7.gif

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLYS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Overature

on each bench i would prob make a profit of €45 -€50 materials used , timber - woodglue - screws - pins also picking timber up from sawmill and if i need to deliver i have to take fuel costs into account

cool, good price and nice to be able to make some profit of them

Advertisement