Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garmin Megathread-Ask your questions here-See post 1 on how to search thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭ooter

Was going to ask the same question, have my 110 just over 2 months and for the first time this morning I couldn't get a signal/location.
    I'll leave it out for a few mins and see if anything changes,if not I'll try that reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

ooter wrote: »
    Was going to ask the same question, have my 110 just over 2 months and for the first time this morning I couldn't get a signal/location.
    I'll leave it out for a few mins and see if anything changes,if not I'll try that reset.
    Just remember that a hard reset will reset the device back to manufacturer's default settings, so you'll potentially lose any workouts and will have to re-apply any configuration settings. Also, ensure you take the watch outside for 15 minutes, to re-download the satellite almanac (which contains all of the information about satellite orbits etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭ooter

Thanks Krusty,I brought it back out earlier and it found a signal/location almost straight away.
    Don't know what the problem was earlier.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Garmin Forerunner 110.

Battery got flat and on recharging the light starting flickering. I did a reboot and a hard restart deleting all my data. Now the backlight is permanently on which kills the battery life. Any ideas on how to fix?

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    Garmin Forerunner 110.

Battery got flat and on recharging the light starting flickering. I did a reboot and a hard restart deleting all my data. Now the backlight is permanently on which kills the battery life. Any ideas on how to fix?
    Another hard reset?! Sounds fecked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

Think I may open it and change the battery. If that doesn't fix it I'll remove the LED ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Jnealon wrote: »
    Bought a premium HR strap a few months back and recently it has started to give out really high readings, on an easy run it could be up at over 200.
    When I switch back to my old strap HR readings are fine.
    I've been washing it per the instructions, wetting the electrodes, tried un-pairing it and pairing it again but no joy.
    Any ideas or should I just send it back

Update
    Swapped garmin transmitter on to a polar strap and all has been fine since.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭ironmonkey

Hi there I have a general question that probably has an obvious answer so apologies in advance. I have a Garmin 910 xt and I'm planning on running the Dublin marathon this October. Does the watch have a feature where it will average your pace and give you a predicted marathon time as you continue along ? Cheers all. P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

I'm not sure about the 910 but I have the 410 which has a virtual pacer.

You enter in your target pace so say 4:58 mins/km for 3:30 marathon and then it tells you if you ahead of or behind your target time.

Not exactly what you're looking for but the nearest thing I can think of.

What you're suggesting would be great though, it's surprising how hard simple mental arithmetic can become when you're bursting yourself. Maybe the new 620 or 920 will have it.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭ironmonkey

Thanks Pointer that will do as the next best. Ill set it for 3.45 pace and then add or subtract as I go along. That's much easier than trying to figure it the way I was going which was using average pace per hour. I don't want to rely too much on the watch or even times and I like to run to how it feels on the day, but if I'm trying for a PB it's nice to know exactly where I'm at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Also, I always set it up for a little quicker than target pace to allow for running a slightly longer course.

For example, if your target pace is 3:45 or 5:19 mins/km, I would be allowing myself 30 seconds leeway so maybe set the virtual pacer at 5:18 mins/km (3:44:20). Nothing worse than running a perfect pace the whole way and still finishing 10 seconds behind your target.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭cullenswood

BTH wrote: »
    Hey Mr Clown, anyone else who might be able to help, having problem uploading data from the 310xt. ANT Agent says stick is active, and searching for devices, but it just refuses to find the watch thats sitting right there beside it. Pain in the ass.

Thanks.

Got sorted. Note to self, try google first and dont be so lazy :)

Having same problem here. Did a google and can't find answer, any help on how to fix this. It used to work fine. I uninstalled the Garmin Software and re-installed it, but still doesn't find the watch (Garmin 405)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

ironmonkey wrote: »
    Thanks Pointer that will do as the next best. Ill set it for 3.45 pace and then add or subtract as I go along. That's much easier than trying to figure it the way I was going which was using average pace per hour. I don't want to rely too much on the watch or even times and I like to run to how it feels on the day, but if I'm trying for a PB it's nice to know exactly where I'm at.

Also don't fully trust your GPS for pace as it can be off due to a twisty course, or poor reception from tall buildings or trees etc. When long distance racing I still use a pace band alongside GPS

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Ive tried to search, I can't find anything. Apologies if I'm duplicating...

Is there a way to get Garmin Express / Garmin Connect to only sync new activities off the watch to the computer i.e.: activities not already downloaded to Connect?

I understand that I can just delete unwanted runs off my watch and they then won't appear in Connect, but I'm wondering if there is a way to set activity transfer to the computer as Ive described above?

I have a Forerunner 410

Many thanks
    KB

Ive tried to search, I can't find anything. Apologies if I'm duplicating...

Is there a way to get Garmin Express / Garmin Connect to only sync new activities off the watch to the computer i.e.: activities not already downloaded to Connect?

I understand that I can just delete unwanted runs off my watch and they then won't appear in Connect, but I'm wondering if there is a way to set activity transfer to the computer as Ive described above?

I have a Forerunner 410

Many thanks
    KB
    Hi Killian, it's my understanding that this is the default behaviour. i.e. only new runs get uploaded. Do you synch with any another sites (like Strava or MyfitnessPal, Tapiriik)? It might be that you are double-synching your activities? Are eyou ending up with lots of duplicates? Do you still have the Garmin ANT agent running?

Hi Killian, it's my understanding that this is the default behaviour. i.e. only new runs get uploaded. Do you synch with any another sites (like Strava or MyfitnessPal, Tapiriik)? It might be that you are double-synching your activities? Are eyou ending up with lots of duplicates? Do you still have the Garmin ANT agent running?

No only to express, Ive lots of 00:01 runs where I've pressed start instead of other buttons etc. every time I sync, these go back on to the computer. I then delete them off garmin Express, go for a run the following day and when I sync again, the 00:01 runs are transferred back on Garmin Express.

I know there are far more important things in the world and as I said, I could just delete them of the watches history, but as you mentioned, I thought that 'sync last activity' was a default and now its bugging me trying to find out what box I've ticked or unticked!

Edit: Im confused as to the Ant agent and new updated garmin express - I still have the little usb in the computer but I assume thats still used to talk to the watch.

Gotcha. One option would be to auto-delete activities from the watch, once they have been uploaded to Garmin Connect. The option is there in Garmin Express, it is just well hidden. Steps to do this:

1) Launch Garmin Express
    2) Select your device (if you have more than one)
    3) Click on [Device] - the greyed-out option on the RHS of the screen.
    4) Scroll to the bottom of the screen.
    5) Tick the box [Erase data on this device after successful syncing]

The activities will still upload the first time, but should be erased from the watch immediately afterwards, so shouldn't re-appear.

321785.png

Done. initially would have liked to have kept things on the watch, but with the app on the phone, all runs are now readily available. Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Done. initially would have liked to have kept things on the watch, but with the app on the phone, all runs are now readily available. Thanks for the help.

Or just delete the 'accidental' activities on your watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,055 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Just wondering does this happen with anyone elses Garmin.

When I hit start on an activity the distance covered immediately starts rising not in synch with the actual distance. My garmin 310xt starts off showing distance covered in feet before converting to miles after .1 of a mile. The issue is that the moment I hit start it shows me travelling 6ft, 12ft, 17ft rising on a per second basis when I've hardly started at all. Somewhere along the way it corrects itself (I think and hope anyway!) as the full miles seem to be consistent. It's not that the watch hasn't found a signal or is bouncing around as when I check on Strava / Garmin connect after the route is smooth and not jumping around.

Has anyone else noticed this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I got my garmin replaced [out of warranty, 610 which I bought just after it came out, so maybe 2-2 1/2 years old], so I paid 70 quid or so, sent it back to them and got a brand new [looking] watch in exchange for my broken, falling apart and rusty one..

Brilliant service, and I need a new GPS thingy for car, and would lead me to get a Garmin one if I know I can pay for a refurb forever, regardless of warrenty.

Now the Ant stick is broken, its an old Ant Stick 1 anyway. So time to get a new one.
    • You can get them for 20 [sterling] quid online..
    • I can get them when Im in London for work, for 25 quid [sterling] in a few places
    • No shops here [Dublin] had them in stock [I rang 4 or 5], and those that did wanted between 40-50 euro on them.

So while I really want to support an Irish shop, Im not paying so much over the odds. So runners need in Camden it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

I can also recommend the Suunto Movestick Mini, a little smaller than the new Garmin version and can be found for a few pounds less.

R

Or from Wiggle with free delivery to Ireland for €29.49

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/suunto-movestick-mini/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭viperlogic

Can be picked up for around €15-20 on ebay and donedeal.

Just wondering does this happen with anyone elses Garmin.

When I hit start on an activity the distance covered immediately starts rising not in synch with the actual distance. My garmin 310xt starts off showing distance covered in feet before converting to miles after .1 of a mile. The issue is that the moment I hit start it shows me travelling 6ft, 12ft, 17ft rising on a per second basis when I've hardly started at all. Somewhere along the way it corrects itself (I think and hope anyway!) as the full miles seem to be consistent. It's not that the watch hasn't found a signal or is bouncing around as when I check on Strava / Garmin connect after the route is smooth and not jumping around.

Has anyone else noticed this ?
    Hi Pacing Mule, this is pretty standard Garmin behaviour (I mean the bit about starting the measurement in feet, before switching over to miles). As for starting the 'count' before you start moving, this is to be expected, as the Garmin doesn't have the kind of accuracy that can tell where you are in a 5m radius, so it is trying to 'best guess' your position and trajectory and will normalize as you move in a straight line. Think of it like this: the watch calculates your position approximately once every second, but in that second, you can be anywhere in a 5m radius (not entirely accurate I'm just generalizing) and because of this, immediate readings (points in time) have little value. If you've ever driven a car with a GPS displaying speed you can probably visualize this a little better. At a constant speed, a car's GPS speed reading is far more accurate than your speedometer (which is affected by tyre pressure, maintenance etc.) - however, when accelerating or decelerating, you'll notice that it takes the GPS a few seconds to reflect the change in speed, as calculations are not constant and your direction can only be established once there are a couple of consecutive readings. Probably not the best explanation ever, but the fix is easy - don't look at the screen for 20-30 seconds!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭irishmanmick

Guys,

Anyone help me here. Just trying to log my run from last night there. Watch battery was still half full and when I clipped on the pc connection it started a recharge as normal. However, when I logged onto website to upload run the device wasn't detected. I was poking round with the connection to make sure the four prongs were all fully in and the watch just died. Now it won't turn on or anything.

Anyway to reset the watch? Or to just get it to turn on??

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭irishmanmick

You can ignore that last post - seem to have got it working!

Panic stations it was there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Hi,

has anyone got a spare Garmin forerunner charger that they wish to offload?

My one is past it.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

finisklin wrote: »
    Hi,

has anyone got a spare Garmin forerunner charger that they wish to offload?

My one is past it.

Thanks

Which model? (there are different chargers for different models).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

menoscemo wrote: »
    Which model? (there are different chargers for different models).

Its forerunner 405cx. Its got the two nodes that clasp onto the underside of the garmin. One of the nodes can't make contact with the garmin as its buried into the set point. Don't ask!

Hope someone has got a spare.

• Advertisement

finisklin wrote: »
    Its forerunner 405cx. Its got the two nodes that clasp onto the underside of the garmin. One of the nodes can't make contact with the garmin as its buried into the set point. Don't ask!

Hope someone has got a spare.
    Amazon have lots of spares, if you don't find one. It's the same charging clip for the 310 and 910 watches, if that helps...

Advertisement