Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

And I meant to ask what model no is it? Thanks

@fat boy.

Can you please explain the 2 winders on your lovely piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

The Seiko 5 is 90g according to Amazon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

@fat boy.

Can you please explain the 2 winders on your lovely piece?
    It's a homage to the SuperCompressor Dive watch cases made by a company called EPSA back in the 1960's. One crown is the winder and setter of the time, the other moves the inner bezel that times your dive.

It was a quite popular Diver watch setup back then. Used by brands like Jaeger LeCoultre, Wittnauer, Universal Geneve, Blancpain, Enicar, Longines, Benrus, LIP, IWC and a load of others. Here's my late 60's LIP diver with the same setup.

454787.jpg

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Thanks Wibbs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭fat bloke

That's interesting Wibbs, although if I may dare to contradict :) the inner ring in mine I equate more to the SARB017 alpinist. Its a compass function - odd for a diver. The outer bezel tines your dive as normal. The inner one would be no use for dive timing cos its bidirectional and the winder turns very very easily. Its not screwdown and even just normal movement of your hand or a cuff will turn the winder and actuate the inner ring, so much so it's never centred and impossible to keep that way!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Funny enough FB that was a complaint from some when these cases first came out. That because the inner bezel wasn't unidirectional and had no click it might move during a dive. Ironically one reason for the inner bezel moved by a crown was idea came along was the designers considered it less likely to move compared to the normal exposed bezels of other dive watches. On the vintage ones I've had or handled the crown moving the bezel is quite stiff and wouldn't tend to move once you set it. Which was another complaint; that it was too fiddly to adjust particularly if wearing gloves.

The water resistance design was different too. Kinda like the later Russian Vostoks in that the case back lies on a rubber ring and is designed to move, to compress as the water pressure increases selling it further. Hence the "Compressor" name. Unlike say the Rolex design which resists any movement. The crowns weren't screw down but have a set of rubber seals which work pretty well. My LIP above never got new crown seals as far as I know and after 50 years still passes a leak test.

Still it was a layout that only lasted about a decade, until the mid 70's. The vast majority of dive watches went the Rolex type design; sold case, external bezels, screw down crowns.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭birdwatcher

fat bloke wrote: »
    Snap - I have one of those "landsharks" and I love it, but I dunno whether it's your watch or your photo but the hands on mine are a much stronger yellow - they really pop, and the watch in real life looks waaaay better than in your photo! - Before I bought it I got the sense on the web that they weren't particularly highly regarded, but gosh I love mine.

fair comment FB, but I think I see the differences between our 2 pieces. Minehas Blue bezel and face plus, the date rotates in Blue on a White background....It also displays the day in French if preferred.
    See what you mean by the hands on yours really popping out in Yellow....mine are green.:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Got this today - it was my 21st (or so) a couple weeks ago, so wanted to get something to mark it.

I can see myself consolidating the collection in a couple years, but I think I am done for the time being.

28303831807_8d92dec50f_z.jpg

29302404368_0392289906_z.jpg

edit: "21st" was a bad joke, that's waaaaay back in the distance

Wow. Beats the hell outta the t-shirt I got for turning 21...:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

"21" was very much wishful thinking on my side!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

That's a smashing piece, Eoin, very jealous.

21 plus VAT? That's what I tell myself anyway :(

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

That’s such a cool watch Eoin. Well wear.

UJacJzc.png

Pic of the Herbelin Newport Trophy I got for the mrs a while back, next to an old seiko solar chrono of mine.

It's hard to find a lady diver, though with the non screwdown crown I'm not sure I'd trust the 200m rating. Gotta love the green though and the bracelet and clasp are beautiful too.

That's a bloody lovely watch E! Well may you wear. TBH I have to say I prefer Tudor offerings to Rolex. There, I said it. :D
    Eoin wrote: »
    I'm reminded of the Roman dude Cicero when his wife mentioned that a woman they both knew was thirty. His reply was: "Oh yeah that's definitely true, she's been saying so for the last ten years". :D

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'm reminded of the Roman dude Cicero when his wife mentioned that a woman they both knew was thirty. His reply was: "Oh yeah that's definitely true, she's been saying so for the last ten years". :D

Unfortunately nail on head there for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Eoin wrote: »

Ha I missed the sarcasm..I was working out when we traded about 5 years ago there was no way you were 16 :):)

Recent arrival which really caught my eye. It's a Geckota K1 V25 which was limited to 40 pieces in vintage rose gold. I asked 2 friends and members on here for opinions in advance of buying and neither were mad on it at all. I decided to have a look at it anyway and my God if there was ever a reason for seeing something in the flesh rather than pics. The sellers pics did not do it justice at all and also it was on a hideous nato strap. Have to say it's the first watch I've had since I got my speedy that I can't stop looking at. The steinhart OVM got about a quarter of my interest.

Anyway might not be everyone's taste but then Australians use marmite during foreplay so...

20180628_133837.jpg
    20180628_133658.jpg
    20180628_133926.jpg

And finally a state of collection..

20180701_114404.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

sparrowcar what version is the Steinhart?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    sparrowcar what version is the Steinhart?

OVM 3 42mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

Best man on Saturday so giving this to the groom as he doesn't own a watch and wasn't going to wear one :eek:

43131631752_6b60e2ba83_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

"Best man on Saturday so giving this to the groom "
    lovely watch,and a nice present to the groom,well done

Here it is on the wrist (and on a NATO).

This is a generic strap that the seller included. The OEM one is disappointing - it's not a proper NATO/G10 with the second piece that secures the watch. It's just a one-piece nylon strap with integrated spring bars.

I have not checked out the bracelet yet, I assume it's the same as the Black Bay - which is a very good one, but I think this watch looks better on a NATO.

The watch itself is finished as well as expected - a few nice touches like the black crown and stoppers. For a chrono, the dial is relatively uncluttered - glad they didn't go down the new Pelagos route, with a paragraph of text.

42286374675_5f0b2b3125_z.jpg

41380249370_36528732e6_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,489 ✭✭✭VW 1

Beautiful watch Eoin, wear well.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

Happy 21st
    well done on lovely choice, wear it in all health

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭TedR

ahem
    my thread just updated
    I see 21 may have been... inaccurate... :-)

Any excuse to buy a nice watch is alright by me though
    Enjoy the Tudor, lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 8,416 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

http://E7_C994_D6-8293-41_F7-9197-01_A854_FF2_A05.jpg

Just put this up for sale so thought I’d share a pic before it goes to the safe ready for its new home

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭HDMI

Gotta stop staying up late, it's like I lose control after midnight. Another one on the way to the in laws :rolleyes:

Seiko SZSC004 green Sumo.

4LIaek9l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

At the jewelers today to get my bracelet adjusted,asked them for a stand for my watch.Not the best but i got it free and it allows me to use the tripod for the camera to get better pictures.Just wanted to test it out.
    Ek3QazOh.jpg
    F85hyoAh.jpg

Also found a way to combine 2 of my interests:D
    k9kHL2Kh.jpg
    4AdDUBVh.jpg

Sorry to keep posting the same watch,tried to add something different.
    Also just wondering if the meetup is still going to happen sometime?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Homer

HDMI wrote: »
    Gotta stop staying up late, it's like I lose control after midnight. Another one on the way to the in laws :rolleyes:

Seiko SZSC004 green Sumo.

Very nice richard.. I see you miss your blumo :pac: Me too!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement