Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Send in the Clowns - BAC 10K Challenge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

I know you have time constraints for when you run with work and family but is there any chance of finding a regular training partner? Preferably somebody quicker than you. Chasing down a 2.35 marathoner or a 33 minute 10k guy could be of huge benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I know you have time constraints for when you run with work and family but is there any chance of finding a regular training partner? Preferably somebody quicker than you. Chasing down a 2.35 marathoner or a 33 minute 10k guy could be of huge benefit.

Well that time puts him #3 on the club 2012 Marathon list - so that just takes a bit of planning and coordination ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

As Beepbeep mentioned, there are a few seasoned marathoners in the club who'd be a good chunk faster than me (Abhainn, Pronator and Pre (and Beepbeep would beat me on a good day ;))), but we're all quite geographically dispersed. The club has a track day every Tuesday @6pm, but that's just damn near impossible for me to make (haven't made one yet), even though my recent workplace move has halved the distance to the track. Last night for instance, I started my cycle home at 7:40pm and right now I'm only moderately busy in work. But hopefully we'll get an opportunity to do some sessions over the coming months, as in April, Abhainn is headed to Boston, Pronator is headed to London and Beepbeep is off to Rotterdam, so it would be a wasted opportunity if we didn't get together for some training.

Yesterday: Cycle-run-cycle
    Legs were a little stiff after the previous nights easy run, so pondered the subject of how to get to work. My thoughts drifted to the rarely used bicycle taking up space in my living room, so I hopped onto it, if for no other reason than to use the additional buttons on my Forerunner 910xt. A nice pleasant cycle to work, despite a nasty head-wind, that gave the legs a gentle 25 minute/9km stretch.

Afternoon: 5 mile recovery run
    Headed down to Cabinteely Park and did a loop around the park, before combining the earlier head-wind with the uphill drag back to the office, that ensured that nothing beyond recovery pace would be possible. The route is probably a little too hilly to be categorized as a recovery run.

Followed up with an evening cycle home (different route), which, with the wind behind me, was a blast. Pegging it down Cornelscourt Hill brought back childhood memories, of times when I used to line-up at the top of the hill with my brother and sisters and race up and down, until the Gardai would send us home. I'll definitely cycle more often (particularly now that my motorcycle is currently out of action with a dead battery) but need to invest in a backpack for running and cycling to and from work. I've ordered a Deuter Race 10 Rucksack, which seems to rate highly among cyclists and runners alike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

I've ordered a Deuter Race 10 Rucksack, which seems to rate highly among cyclists and runners alike.

How much are you looking bring, the 10 is very compact. I have the 12+3 and I know Abhainn went up a size from there after he checked out mine.

• Advertisement

BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    How much are you looking bring, the 10 is very compact. I have the 12+3 and I know Abhainn went up a size from there after he checked out mine.
    Small towel, lunchbox, pair of jeans, shirt, socks and jocks, some fruit, shorts, running top. That's about it. Maybe a pair of running shoes if they fit. I can currently pack the above stuff (without the running shoes) into a tiny bag I'm using at the moment, so I'm hoping that the 10l will work. Plus I plan to use it for running, so want it as compact as possible. Would you get the above into your bag? Damn thing has shipped already, so it's on the way..

Today: Cycle-run-cycle
    Hadn't planned to take the bicycle today, but the motorcycle was as dead as Mitt Romney's presidential aspirations, so a quick change and out the door. Really getting used to the commute and dare I say it, enjoying it. Brings me back to the days when I used to cycle the 1.5 mile journey between home and school 8 times a day. Journey home was dark, cold and wet, but despite having no wet gear, I still had a smile on my face, hurtling down the hills at breakneck speed (where hurtling and breakneck are relative terms!).

Easy 10k run with Keith123 at lunch-time, exploring and searching for short-cuts that will take me to Three Rock by the fastest possible route. Still haven't found any quick routes to Lamb's Cross, but have Aiken's Village yet to explore.
    Summary: 10k in 46:48, @7:31/mile + 11 miles on the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Easy 10k run with Keith123 at lunch-time, exploring and searching for short-cuts that will take me to Three Rock by the fastest possible route. Still haven't found any quick routes to Lamb's Cross, but have Aiken's Village yet to explore.

Have you explored the trail through the gate across from where Fernhill Cottage is marked on the map (junction of Enniskerry Road and Burrow Road)? It takes you straight up to Ballyedmonduff. I've run it a few times but I don't know what 2:43-marathoner in his right mind would do it at risk of injury!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

I'm in the middle of reading Ryan Hall's book/training log Running with Joy and I have to say that Krusty's log is a much better read. I like the honesty in this log.

Sorry in advance for the hi-jack, but read Ryan Hall's book at your peril - there's more mention of God than training. I'm all for God, but I thought I was buying a running book.
    Then he went and DNFed the London Olympic Marathon, did God desert him then?
    Might steer clear of Katie Taylor's Olympic Dream book too.....

Rant over.

Have you explored the trail through the gate across from where Fernhill Cottage is marked on the map (junction of Enniskerry Road and Burrow Road)? It takes you straight up to Ballyedmonduff. I've run it a few times but I don't know what 2:43-marathoner in his right mind would do it at risk of injury!
    Did you mean this gate, that brings you to this trail? Looks class! May have to visit it tomorrow, if I have time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

That's the one. It's nearly two years since I ran it. I didn't have a Garmin at the time, but my log reads:
    Fernhill Gardens to Barr na Coille was a tough enough ascent (80m over 0.5 mile)
    IIRC, there are a few obstacles on it, so bring old shoes and mind your head!

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

You could also follow that part of the Dublin Mountains Way, see here:
    http://www.dmp.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/documents/dmwmap1threerock_shankill_oct10_01.pdf
    or here:
    http://www.dublinmountains.ie/dublin_mountains_way/dublin_mountains_way/

I'm not familiar with that part of the route, but I run the leg from Shankill to the Scalp over Carrickgollogan and Barnaslingan, then loop back on the roads around Kilternan/Rathmichael. I love it, it is a really well marked route with some great views and variation, plenty of good hills if you like that kinda thing;).

It's a great resource right on our doorstep.

wrstan wrote: »
    It's a great resource right on our doorstep.
    I love that route (was up around there on Sunday for a handy 8 miles). I ran the original Dublin Mountain Way route last year, on a snowy day in January (and had Kurt Kodel along for welcome company for one of the stretches). Cracking preparation run for the Wicklow Way Ultra, or if you just fancy spending a day out in the hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Small towel, lunchbox, pair of jeans, shirt, socks and jocks, some fruit, shorts, running top. That's about it. Maybe a pair of running shoes if they fit. I can currently pack the above stuff (without the running shoes) into a tiny bag I'm using at the moment, so I'm hoping that the 10l will work. Plus I plan to use it for running, so want it as compact as possible. Would you get the above into your bag? Damn thing has shipped already, so it's on the way..

Good luck trying to fit all of the into the 10L !!! I have the Green Deuter 10, and its a struggle to get runners and a couple of running tops in, let alone anything else. You can use the side net pockets for some extra space, but do you really want the world seeing your jocks :D ?

MisterDrak wrote: »
    Good luck trying to fit all of the into the 10L !!! I have the Green Deuter 10, and its a struggle to get runners and a couple of running tops in, let alone anything else. You can use the side net pockets for some extra space, but do you really want the world seeing your jocks :D ?
    Hmm... In future I should probably ask the question first, then place the order, rather than the other way around. It just seemed so logical. 10L = 5 x 2L bottles of water = Plenty of space. Naive. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I leave a pair of work shoes in work, always wear running shoes on the commute, that might help? Or just leave a pair of runners in the office (somewhere they won't stink out the place:))?

RayCun wrote: »
    I leave a pair of work shoes in work, always wear running shoes on the commute, that might help? Or just leave a pair of runners in the office (somewhere they won't stink out the place:))?
    Yeah, I got that covered already. For sessions though, I have been using the one pair of shoes (Kinvara 3) and use a different pair of shoes for all other general runs. Not to worry. I'll work it out. Motorcycle is back in action again, so plenty of options.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

MisterDrak wrote: »

He can run in his boxers and barechested. Problem solved.

He can run in his boxers and barechested. Problem solved.
    My colleagues still have nightmares of the photographs from Chicago marathon. In my defense, they're the ones who hung them around the office. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

The big ticket items are the towel , shoes and pants. I leave a jacket, towel, shoes in work and a couple of pants. I change the towel and pants once a week on a non running day. Most days I carry in a camelbak (less the bladder) change of socks, jocks and a shirt. There is a shower in work.

The bag is only 2 litres... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/camelbak-classic-2-litre-hydration-pack/

You're not trying hard enough ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Just get one one of those small sport towels, they are really thin but super for absorbing the wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

I use a Saloman Skin Pro 14+3 for the runmute. The 3 refers to an expandable 3 extra litres(I think) I rarely use that.

I bring a sport towel(bath sized), hotel sized bottle of shower gel, trousers, shirt, jocks+socks, rain jacket, wallet & phone every day. Other days I'll have extras such as lunch or maybe a pair of shoes in there.

This bag is bloody expensive but it really does the trick for me. It was also a gift, so thankfully the pain of paying for it was not mine.

I've no shower in the job so I run to a gym nearby and shower there. I wear my runner to the office where I keep shoes, deodorant, hair gel etc. there.

Depending on the construction of that bag 10 litres may be enough for clothing only, Just don't eat lunch! Also, jeans weigh a ton relative to suit trousers, I notice that every bloody Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Did you mean this gate, that brings you to this trail? Looks class! May have to visit it tomorrow, if I have time!

If you are close to the Westwood, then that is the quickest way to get to Three Rock on foot. Cross the motorway via the Racecourse overflow, through the Gallops, up towards Stepaside and cut across Kilgobbin Lane. It's about 1.5 miles. I go up there the odd lunchtime, but I have only taken this route once, during the summer, and it was seriously muddy. Nice little trail though

Edit: Here's a Garmin course for it, includes the route from the gate up through Barnacuila and on to Three Rock

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

jeffontour wrote: »
    I bring a sport towel(bath sized), hotel sized bottle of shower gel, trousers, shirt, jocks+socks, rain jacket, wallet & phone every day. Other days I'll have extras such as lunch or maybe a pair of shoes in there.

Yeah, but where's he gonna put his skillet :D:D

If you are close to the Westwood, then that is the quickest way to get to Three Rock on foot. Cross the motorway via the Racecourse overflow, through the Gallops, up towards Stepaside and cut across Kilgobbin Lane. It's about 1.5 miles. I go up there the odd lunchtime, but I have only taken this route once, during the summer, and it was seriously muddy. Nice little trail though

Edit: Here's a Garmin course for it, includes the route from the gate up through Barnacuila and on to Three Rock
    Thanks for that. Will definitely give it a lash next week (with some trail shoes). Quick question though: that overflow car-park from the racecourse seems to be sealed-off (i.e. fenced off with no way out of the park). Did I miss a way through? Are we talking about the same one? I'm actually just down the road from the Gallops, but have been looking for a short-cut into the racecourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Getting back to normal after my US adventure and I just wanted to pop on and say Congrats on a fantastic run and a thoroughly enjoyable race report. Your reports get better as you run faster, I think there must be a direct corelation? And I don't mean just because you get faster, your reports are so well written, I agree, you should write a book:)

I'm glad to see things are back to normal for you now and your biggest concern is how to carry your gear;)
    I hope you're still giving Emer911 lots of TLC after her miraculous run in DM:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Thanks for that. Will definitely give it a lash next week (with some trail shoes). Quick question though: that overflow car-park from the racecourse seems to be sealed-off (i.e. fenced off with no way out of the park). Did I miss a way through? Are we talking about the same one? I'm actually just down the road from the Gallops, but have been looking for a short-cut into the racecourse.

Yes, same one. I haven't been over in a while, didn't know it was cut off. There looks to be a way to get to it (from Ballyogan Road) if you go down past the Shopping centre as far as you can, there is a small path there on the left which leads to the bridge. You'd need to check it out though. If you're going up there next week, I might tag along (presuming you're talking lunchtime? )

Yes, same one. I haven't been over in a while, didn't know it was cut off. There looks to be a way to get to it (from Ballyogan Road) if you go down past the Shopping centre as far as you can, there is a small path there on the left which leads to the bridge. You'd need to check it out though. If you're going up there next week, I might tag along (presuming you're talking lunchtime? )
    I ran a loop around the park (from the race-course side) and unfortunately, it does seem to be fenced off completely (the google satellite shots are out of date). So unless you fancy clambering over a fence, you'll likely have to go the long way around. Thankfully, I'm based on the other side of the fence (East and West Germany all over again!), so if you fancy a lunch-time run up that way at some point, drop me a pm.

Today: 10k Easy

The legs seem to be returning to form, as the pace naturally picked up a little on this run to Dundrum and back. People looked at me strangely in Dundrum Shopping centre, for walking around in shorts and a t-shirt. Either I didn't meet the dress-code criteria, or the idea of running to the shops hasn't reached these parts yet. In any case, it was a nice run, I spotted lots of future run locations, and was reminded that Marley Park is but 3.5 miles away.
    Summary: 6.28 miles in 44:04, @7:01/mile

• Advertisement

Marthastew wrote: »
    Getting back to normal after my US adventure and I just wanted to pop on and say Congrats on a fantastic run and a thoroughly enjoyable race report. Your reports get better as you run faster, I think there must be a direct corelation? And I don't mean just because you get faster, your reports are so well written, I agree, you should write a book:)

I'm glad to see things are back to normal for you now and your biggest concern is how to carry your gear;)
    I hope you're still giving Emer911 lots of TLC after her miraculous run in DM:)
    Thanks much MarthaStew, and thanks for the rice crispy square (though I did have to convince you that I actually took part in the race!). This New 'New York' race sounds like it's going to be a blast. A unique opportunity to run a marathon that few people will be able to include in their running CVs. If you can duck under the 3:30 barrier, even better! Icing on the cake. Will there be icing? ...and a cake?

Advertisement