Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Consequences of simultaneous submissions

• 18-12-2013 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

I am in the process of submitting a few pieces of work (a couple of non-fiction and a couple of short stories) to various options.

Many places say that they don't accept simultaneous submissions. I am pretty much ignoring that as I think it's unreasonable (because of the time they take to reject/accept). Are there any possible consequences? Apart from pissing off the occasional editor.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Depends on the situation.

My first foray into journalism was when I wrote an article and sent it to ten newspapers. Eight of them published it. That was eight papers who were very very pissed at me.

However, if it's a novel, then I can't see an issue with submitting to more than one publisher. You could stagger it. Sending it out one publisher one month, a different one the next, and so on. That way, it's unlikely that two will decide at the same time that they want it, and a rejection won't sting so badly as it will still be out there with other publishers.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭donalh087

In fairness I wouldn't do it to a newspaper. On the other hand (and I know it's a bugbear of mine) many publishers treat writers as an irritation to be tolerated rather than their source of income. So I'm less inclined to put up with their sh1te.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

donalh087 wrote: »
    Apart from pissing off the occasional editor.

Mostly that. Worth noting that people tend to have long memories about these sorts of things.

Would suggest keeping good records of who you've submitted to and if you get a yes from somewhere to let the other places know you're withdrawing it. A number of places use Submittable now, which makes it even easier - you don't need to contact them directly and potentially be 'that guy'. :)

Advertisement