Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help - Goozeberry Busy is being eaten

• 21-06-2011 5:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Anyone know what has infected my goozeberry busy. ive no clue.
    thanks - see photo

photo.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Qwerty?

More than likely the Gooseberry Sawfly.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Velvet shank

some kind of Scale insect?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The stripped leaves could be sawfly, that is the most common reason for leaves being eaten. The white looks like some kind of mildew, but that would not strip the leaves and it usually coats the fruit and leaves evenly, not in clumps like that.

Unless you get a definite answer here I suggest you cut off an affected piece, seal it in a polythene bag and take it to a nursery/garden centre and ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭trev44

thanks guys..

i think that there is something growing inside the white balls. ill bring a bit to a GC and will post the update..

t

Qwerty? wrote: »
    More than likely the Gooseberry Sawfly.

looks very like this. i even found a few of the critter on the plant. but that doesnt explain the white bits. maybe it has 2 sets of visitors!
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭brian_t

I agree that your leaves are been eaten by Gooseberry Sawfly.

I think the white stuff looks like Woolly Aphid.

http://www.gardenseeker.com/plant_pests_problems/plant-pests/woolly_aphid_control.htm

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/woollyaphid.htm

brian_t wrote: »
    I agree that your leaves are been eaten by Gooseberry Sawfly.

I think the white stuff looks like Woolly Aphid.

http://www.gardenseeker.com/plant_pests_problems/plant-pests/woolly_aphid_control.htm

http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/woollyaphid.htm

thanks for your help.. that is exactly what it is..
    i have pruned it right back and will tackle the remaining unwanted guests tomorrow.
    t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Online01

Hi

I;ve had my strelitiza for about 4 years now.

Its started to die over the last few months - leaves turning all brown and dry.

I have it in a bright enough spot - not too hot or too bright -

Any ideas on a rescue remedy?

I have bonsai feed - but am afraid to use that as may not be suitable

Any help appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭brian_t

Online01 wrote: »
    Hi

I;ve had my strelitiza for about 4 years now.

Its started to die over the last few months - leaves turning all brown and dry.

I have it in a bright enough spot - not too hot or too bright -

Any ideas on a rescue remedy?

I have bonsai feed - but am afraid to use that as may not be suitable

Any help appreciated

I can't help you but as this thread has "Gooseberry" in the title you might get a better response if you start a new thread for your query. Just click on the "New Thread" button at the top of the main Gardening forum page.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

trev44 wrote: »
    thanks for your help.. that is exactly what it is..
    i have pruned it right back and will tackle the remaining unwanted guests tomorrow.
    t

We had this once; when I realised that the fruit was unaffected I checked online and learned that the only long term effect was on next year's buds.

As the leaves were all gone, we simply left it, picked the fruit as usual. The following year, the bushes were fine.

One of those things that look terrible of course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement