Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best golf course in YOUR county

• 17-11-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭

In the interests of tapping into local knowledge.

Name your county, and name the best course in your county. If you feel like it, explain your choice.

But please, no lists, no second places, no coin tosses, no parklands vs links, no sitting on fences. Just an outright opinion which can be compared to another boardsie's opinion.

The one course in your county that you most enjoy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

County: Down
    Course: Royal County Down

An easy choice for me.

There's an odd thing when rating courses that you can overlook weaknesses when it suits. RCD has a crap finish. 18 isn't is bad as some say, but 17 is a brutal hole, 16 is as easy a birdie opportunity as there is in championship golf, and 15 feels like you've temporarily visited a different course. It's not even the views that do it for me. It's something magical... there is nothing on this earth quite like the feeling of RCD's turf underfoot. It's more than conditioning, it's just hallowed ground. 2nd, 3rd, 8th, 9th and 11th are magical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Cork - Fota (Deerpark)
    Kerry - Tralee

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭leonards

Louth- Baltray....

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ShivasIrons

cairny wrote: »
    Cork - Fota (Deerpark)

Is the Old Head better?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,704 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Dublin

Links - The Island
    Parkland - Luttrellstown

Have not played too many courses on south side.

There are lots of good courses in Dublin - but only a few Great course (imo)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭BOB81

Meath - headfort new

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭cairny

Is the Old Head better?

Nah....More spectacular surroundings, with some wow holes but there's something not quite right about it, not quite a proper links, feels a bit forced to me. Mind you I've only played it once so maybe it's a grower.

Not being able to play it regularly adds to the hype / mystique I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

Monaghan - Concra wood. By miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

I flip between Kildare and Dublin, so will have to name two!

Kildare: The K Club.

Dublin: The Island. Just a touch fresher in my mind than Portmarnock. Both are quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thoscon

Meath : Rathcore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭The Premier Man

Tipperary- Clonmel

technically in waterford but we'll call it tipp,some spectacular holes and views.the par 3 14th is an epic hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭markthespark77

galway - galway bay golf resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Donegal - Murvagh

There are plenty of people who could say there are 4/5 courses better than Murvagh in Donegal, but there's just something very special about that course, given the opportunity to play any of them on any day, I would always pick Murvagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Dublin - Portmarnock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭neckedit

Another for Portmarnock.
    just a good tough course.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭mikepajero182

Cavan - slieve russell without a doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭whitefoot

Louth - Seapoint

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Westmeath, New Forest, course maturing nicely, always a challenge, in good nick always, practice area going in and quiet too. Mullingar in the mix too but too wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 oldjeep

Portumna: for 1. friendly, 2. value, 3. good course, 4. trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Wexford:

Links: Rosslare (the only links)
    Parkland: Bunclody (and before anybody says it's in Carlow... it isn't)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Clare - lahinch championship

Best course in Ireland imo

• Registered Users Posts: 24 oldjeep

I agree with Lahinch being the best links, very special, but you need to play any golf course at least 3-5 times before giving judgement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭elgenerale

Cork Fota Deerpark

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭big_drive

Cork - Fota

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭D Hayes

Cork - Old Head

Courses like Fota are a dime a dozen. It would be hard to find a more unique course in Ireland than the Old Head. Walking around from the 1st green to the 2nd tee-box and seeing the spectacular coastline come into view - never gets old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭cgh

Laois - The Heath.

a good test of golf, despite the sheep poo.

Portarlington a close second

• Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

I'm in between two counties....

Tipperary - Dundrum house

Mayo - ballinrobe

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭blue note

Waterford - Tramore. Since the upgrades it's definitely the course with the most challenges. Some other good, very enjoyable courses in the county, but I think Tramore is a step up from the others.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I work in Offaly so have to say Tullamore for here.

From Roscommon and have only played Athlone but am going to mention it anyway as its an excellent but very tough course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭lorenzo87

I live on the Sligo/Mayo border but, have played nearly every course in the area.

Agree fully with Buddy Holly, Ballinrobe is the best course in Mayo hands down, beautiful parkland, very tough rough, long enough course with great greens and some water features. But if you want unbelievable greens, go to Castlebar.

Best course in Sligo.... Hmmm... There are a few options, Rosses Point, Castle Dargan, Enniscrone. Being a member of Enniscrone myself, I can safely say you will find struggle to find a more difficult course in the country. If you don't hit the ball straight, it's lost.. It is a real challenge for any golfer, no matter how good they are.

To the Laois crew out there, what do ye think of Portarlington? I must say I was highly impressed with the course when I played it, so well kept.

Advertisement