Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ros na Run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭Areas

What did we think of last night's episode? It seemed a bit different somehow. Can't put my finger on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,219 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Areas wrote: »
    What did we think of last night's episode? It seemed a bit different somehow. Can't put my finger on it.

I know what you mean.
    It was really somber and the characters were looking introspectively .

They were looking back internally in the past and present, and how they have affected others around them -
    Maire - Fiosrach
    Berni - placing her mother in home
    John-Joe - is guilty at how Kathy is being treated and spoken about, as he put her into the hospital
    Andy - how his past actions meant that Berni does not believe him when he finally tells the truth. Losing contact with the only person he still cares about his mother - he does not know where she is. She will end up dying in a home alone now as far as he is concerned.
    Bobbi Lee - questioning herself about her past Andy, the baby etc
    Brian\Sorcha - are both in internal angst over thier part in the accident with Jude.
    Mack is still in internal angst over maybe being Jay's father - he feels gulity about it.

Most of them all feel a level of guilt for what they have done.
    But there are some who do not feel any/or are unable to face it
    Brian is willing to throw Sorcha under the bus with his 'alibi' to save himself and his relationship with Berni.
    Sorcha is willing to face up to it - but she is not willing to take the whole blame.
    Her past actions the Meth Spirits now prevent her from telling the truth.
    Catriona and Vince are concerned about saving themselves. Because of thier past actions Vince throwing Andy into river and Catriona writing the book about Andy. They are not concerned about well-being of Michelle.
    Mack now has a 'get out' in his own mind because of the schizophrenia rumour.
    He feels relieved because he has being given an excuse, so he can avoid his guilt.

The contrast is taken a step further when we see how Dee is completely devoid of guilt. She still wants to save her life with Mack/get revenge on Kathy full stop, and is willing to manipulate a naive Maire to make sure Kathy stays in hospital. The local rumours will now prove much stronger than any subsequent blood-tests.

Ironically while Tadgh is normally one of the most manipulative characters in the show. Arguably must worse than Dee. He seems to really care about Kathy's predicament - but because of his past actions people are less inclined to believe him.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Do you think Dee felt bad about how Máire felt when she was given out to about talking about Katy's illness?
    I feel so bad for John Joe.
    I can't wait for John Joe to see what she really is.
    I think Mack knows but he just wants an easy life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Do you think Dee felt bad about how Máire felt when she was given out to about talking about Katy's illness?

I don't think Dee is capable of feeling bad. She seems a bit of a sociopath!

I doubt it Dee's character is not designed to feel sorry - unless it will affect her reputation in the eyes of others.
    She just sees Maire as another tool toward her end goal.

Even before all her Kathy manipulation story line she was painted as the selfish career woman - who cared of little except the good life. Basically a snob.
    She was brought up with her rich neighbours (The Kennedy's) who she identified more with than her own father. This was the start of Kathy's childhood resentment towards Dee.

Remember Dee was never interested in having children she was more interested in her career. The only reason she had a child in the first place was to try and keep Mack because he wanted a kid. Plus it would prevent Kathy from taking Mack and living happy families with Jay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭BandMember

As someone who missed last season but has watched all of this season, would someone be kind enough to tell me who the new characters are or what their story is, please? The likes of Briain, Sorcha, Neil/Niall, Michelle, the new doctor(?) etc. are all new since I last saw RNR, so I'm a little lost where they are concerned....

BandMember wrote: »
    As someone who missed last season but has watched all of this season, would someone be kind enough to tell me who the new characters are or what their story is, please? The likes of Briain, Sorcha, Neil/Niall, Michelle, the new doctor(?) etc. are all new since I last saw RNR, so I'm a little lost where they are concerned....

Briain - former friend of Evan (Berni's son) they fell out over the fact that Berni went out with Briain.
    Portrayed as the stud and fitness freak of RnR - his characters biceps are mentioned sometimes. He has also had a one nighter with Sorcha mainly because of drink and the biceps as mentioned above. It has caused him more trouble than it was worth (you will find that out when you look back on it - it's complicated involves running over Berni's mother Jude)
    Occupation fitness instructor.

Sorcha - former jam wizard in Berni's cafe. She is now employed as a mechanic by John-Joe. Also likes to see herself as a potential care assistant in the future.
    Portrayed as big hearted, with a bit of a temper, and frequently lets temptation gets the better her. Stole money off her uncle Coili Jackie but it nearly backfired on her, and she was racked with guilt about it.
    She previously put met spirits in Briain's car I cannot remember what the row was about - she may have even got the wrong car thinking it was someone else's.
    But now Briain is using this fact as hold over Sorcha as he can paint her as the bad guy.

Niall - Portrayed as an easy going level headed person. Was Vannessa's partner they were due to get married - but then Vanessa's daughter Fia seduced Niall. Fia got pregnant with Niall's baby - led to breakup commotions etc. Vanessa has left RnR and emigrated to Austrailia (Fair City) - Fia has gone travelling around the world with Pol.
    So both Vanessa and Fia are both out of the picture now.
    Vanessa might appear now and again to see her grandson.
    All that is a distant memory - Bobbi Lee is now Niall's partner.

Michelle - is daughter of Vince's former friend/relation Brid.
    She is portrayed as a naive caring hippy type. Formerly trained as a architect for a few years. But then won the lotto travelled the world and came back to RnR.
    No real explanation of why she came back to RnR. Recently she had a traumatic experience being kidnapped by Andy and blackmailed into giving him money.

Rory - New Doctor/Chemist (Malachi's son) owns the chemist where Maire works . Got the chemist's on the cheap thanks to his auld fella going out with Frances. Malachi was Frances's solicitor/friend after previously working against Frances for Tadgh. He did a u-turn though. They have not done much character development on him as yet.
    As a result of Malachi's ties with Frances - he got the chemist's at a 'fair price'. It was Malachi who arranged this fair price.
    Rory did not even know his father was going out with Frances.
    The impression given was that he does not approve of his father's way of doing things in general, as there always has to be something in it for his father.
    Rory also has a thing for Michelle.
    The storyline that is brewing now is that Rory will be a shoulder to cry on for Michelle, and he will help her through her psychological trauma caused by Andy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭julyjane

When Briain and Sorcha got it on, I had expected it to result in a pregnancy, such is the way on Ros na Rún. Normally a man only has to wink at a woman he shouldn't be winking at and she gets pregnant.

@gormdubhgorm: Wow! Thank you very much! Above and beyond what I was expecting!! :)

@gormdubhgorm: Wow! Thank you very much! Above and beyond what I was expecting!! :)

Ah it's grand I just remember what it was like when I started watching it again after years and years of a gap. I had no notion of what was going on for a long time - all sorts of things kept getting mentioned by the characters that happened before.
    Took a while before I got up to speed.

• Advertisement

Katy isn't doing herself any favours behaving like that.

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    Katy isn't doing herself any favours behaving like that.

The storyline has gone beyond silly now. Really dragging it out.
    It makes no sense. Kathy's behaviour when Dee is mentioned is now clearly being used as the sole vehicle for the writers to keep her in hospital.

Suddenly Kathy an intelligent calculating character loses the ability to 'play the game' after years of hiding who the true father of her baby is - and why Jason went AWOL etc.
    All she has to do is say all the 'right things' to be let out of the hospital but she doesn't. And just think strategically and cool it.
    After all she is in perfect health.

I don't get how she is still in hospital surely the doctors would have tested/analysed her, at this stage and proven she is lucid, Also how long do blood tests take to get done?

The other bit that annoys me is that if Maire was pressed at all about who told her about the 'schizophrenia' info the whole thing would have come crashing down. Her character normally cracks under the slightest pressure.

When Kathy was shouting at Maire about Dee - surely even Maire would have said to herself hang on Dee told me it was schizophrenia and those in the know say it wasn't.

Mack has being given all the hints in the world - baby DNA test results - refused to look at them. Finds the exact same tablets in his own house and is brushed off it very easily by Dee - Kathy must have stored some there to make it safer for Jay etc.
    For some reason he tells absolutely no-one not even John-Joe or Imelda or Niall.
    Suddenly we are expected to believe that Mack is a complete eejit and now believes everything Dee says.
    Whereas before he used to give out to others about Dee a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,292 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Dee is a psychopath, in my opinion.

branie2 wrote: »
    Dee is a psychopath, in my opinion.

Maybe, but she did stop herself from driving off the pier with Jay in the car.
    So she did show some pity for the young lad.
    Would a psychopath have turned around?
    I am not sure.

The storyline has gone beyond silly now. Really dragging it out.
    It makes no sense. Kathy's behaviour when Dee is mentioned is now clearly being used as the sole vehicle for the writers to keep her in hospital.

Suddenly Kathy an intelligent calculating character loses the ability to 'play the game' after years of hiding who the true father of her baby is - and why Jason went AWOL etc.
    All she has to do is say all the 'right things' to be let out of the hospital but she doesn't. And just think strategically and cool it.
    After all she is in perfect health.

I don't get how she is still in hospital surely the doctors would have tested/analysed her, at this stage and proven she is lucid, Also how long do blood tests take to get done?

The other bit that annoys me is that if Maire was pressed at all about who told her about the 'schizophrenia' info the whole thing would have come crashing down. Her character normally cracks under the slightest pressure.

When Kathy was shouting at Maire about Dee - surely even Maire would have said to herself hang on Dee told me it was schizophrenia and those in the know say it wasn't.

Mack has being given all the hints in the world - baby DNA test results - refused to look at them. Finds the exact same tablets in his own house and is brushed off it very easily by Dee - Kathy must have stored some there to make it safer for Jay etc.
    For some reason he tells absolutely no-one not even John-Joe or Imelda or Niall.
    Suddenly we are expected to believe that Mack is a complete eejit and now believes everything Dee says.
    Whereas before he used to give out to others about Dee a lot.

Agree with everything said here!

Maybe, but she did stop herself from driving off the pier with Jay in the car.
    So she did show some pity for the young lad.
    Would a psychopath have turned around?
    I am not sure.

I took it that she just hid away with him to make Katy terrified and then turned up with him as if nothing was wrong, the start of her gaslighting campaign

julyjane wrote: »
    I took it that she just hid away with him to make Katy terrified and then turned up with him as if nothing was wrong, the start of her gaslighting campaign

I did not think of that angle. I can't find the episode to check it.
    But the way I remember it was Dee went off in rage because she mistakenly assumed that Mack and Kathy where nastily slagging her off.
    I remember as she was driving off it was a 'I will show you vibe.' There was close ups of Dee doing that wide eyed eyebrow thing in the car.
    Then she changed her mind after looking at Jay and turned around.
    If Dee did not intend to kill Jay in a fit of rage why did she drive him to the pier?
    Also when Dee pretended to find Jay I don't remember her saying she found him by the pier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Radio5

Going back a long while now but what happened to Vince's daughters?

One was married to Jim O'Dowd , I think she had a baby around the time he (O'Dowd) was murdered. Roise was living with Mack but I can't recall what happened to her after that.

Radio5 wrote: »
    Going back a long while now but what happened to Vince's daughters?

One was married to Jim O'Dowd , I think she had a baby around the time he (O'Dowd) was murdered. Roise was living with Mack but I can't recall what happened to her after that.

The daughter who married to Jim O'Dowd spotted a loaded gun in young Evan's hand in one episode, and tried to get him to hand it over.

No sign of Micheal or Realtin lately

• Advertisement

I enjoyed that episode - Tony given the starring role

Will Tadhg go barking up the wrong tree now and think Paraic set Katy up? I can see Dee catching wind of it and doing more damage to make it look like him.

julyjane wrote: »
    Will Tadhg go barking up the wrong tree now and think Paraic set Katy up? I can see Dee catching wind of it and doing more damage to make it look like him.

That is good call she will end up setting Paraic up and really dig a hole for herself as Kathy will have an ally then. Paraic and Kathy between them will be able to push Tadgh in the correct direction.

@gormdubhgorm: It's Katy, not Kathy. Everytime I read your posts I have to stop and think "who the f**k is this Kathy one?" before remembering who you mean... :pac:

Can someone please explain to me what Tadhg is up to?

@gormdubhgorm: It's Katy, not Kathy. Everytime I read your posts I have to stop and think "who the f**k is this Kathy one?" before remembering who you mean... :pac:

It's Wuthering Heights I blame for that!

ygvUEkM.png

Kauto0709 wrote: »
    Can someone please explain to me what Tadhg is up to?

He is trying to prove that Pádraig is behind Katy's incarceration in the hosptial.
    Tadhg think's he wants to take over Gaudi's and that is Pádraig's motive.

So he set up a 'trap' with Malachi to see if Pádraig will 'take the bait' as he said.
    But at a guess I think they are likely to go an obvious direction with it. When Pádraig is blamed and shunned by most of RnR, Katy will have a new ally in the fight against Dee.
    Then between them and Tadhg (when he figures out he was wrong) will gang up on Dee.
    At the speed they are going that should happen around Season 30!

I thought Tadhg was a lot smarter. He found the notebook with some practising Katy's handwriting and hadn't Katy told him before that it was Dee who had landed her in her situation?

I thought Tadhg was a lot smarter. He found the notebook with some practising Katy's handwriting and hadn't Katy told him before that it was Dee who had landed her in her situation?

Yeah. I initially assumed he would try and match up the handwriting straightaway to Padraig's 'Katy' signature.
    And then question Katy on it.
    I thought it was odd the the piece of paper he kept from the notebook, did not make an appearance.

• Advertisement

Can't wait to see how Vince is going to react to Caitríona's credit card bill!

Advertisement