Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dunmanway day unit cuh

• 19-02-2014 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi folks,

I have a close relative receiving cancer treatment at the dunmanway day unit at cork university hospital at the moment. He has asked me if I know why this unit was called the dunmanway day unit but I'm after spending hours on the net to no avail!
    Would really appreciate help on this one.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GOFarrell

Hi well I think I can answer your question as my mother Kathleen o Farrell and her friend and neighbour Eileen Lyons have been organising a Christmas swim with past thirteen yrs to raise money for cuh and after so many yrs raising money for the chemo unit they felt it was appropriate to rename it after us as we all swim Christmas morning !!! Plus my mother is a patient of 36 yrs of chemo unit and still goes each week there !!! And ironically my father passed away from cancer six yrs ago after availing of the dunmanway unit so yes it is a very special place to us and we hope many people benefit from the warmth and extra resources that have been raised for the unit !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Erasured

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! That's very interesting. When was the unit named then?

I just assumed it had been named from day one!

I know he'll find this very interesting.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 GOFarrell

It was renamed almost seven/ eight yrs now there are lots of photos on walls there which tell the story but I know if u getting treatment there is not much time to be walking around looking at walls !!! Hope all goes well with the treatment

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Erasured

Thanks,

I know he'll be delighted to know the story as he finds stories about the locality and history very interesting.

Thanks again.

Advertisement