Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Big Risk Equalisation Scam.

• 10-07-2013 3:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭

With the introduction of risk equalisation via the E.U. the logic was that premiums should have reduced in theory for men and gone up for women. This though does not appear to be then case. I have a lot of anecdotal evidence to suggest otherwise. Everyone's premium has appeared to actually increase this year and when you ask the companies why they'll often suggest its due to - you've guessed it - risk equalisation.

This is more of the rip off crap we roll over and take here all the time. How can they be called to task on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

FWIW, mine came down by €80 this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Mine dropped ~3-400 if I remember right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Anan1 wrote: »
    FWIW, mine came down by €80 this year.

Ah okay, maybe I'm wrong. Every quote I personally got went up as did a good few friends. One friends quote with the same compai he's with for years was a bloody insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Saab Ed wrote: »
    One friends quote with the same compai he's with for years was a bloody insult.
    Nothing new there! They always aim high with existing customers.

Re your original point, I think we'd need official figures to call it either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Mine went up marginally but that was to do with the company changing their policies on performance cars. I eventually got a quote for €150 cheaper than I paid last year.

Anyone who thought/assumed that male insurance was going to drop this year had their head in the clouds unforunately! Insurance companies were told that they could not discriminate between gender; in a perfect world this would mean that the price of male policies would drop to the level of the female policies, or at least they would meet in the middle, but in reality that was never going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭coolisin

Yeah I agree with you OP, both of our policies went up and it was due to high operating costs and risk equalisation, at least this is what I was told.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Funnily enough, one thing I have noticed is pretty much all online quote systems still have a gender checkbox (And most of them still actually change the quote)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Mine went down too..

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭evanSpiddal

Mine went down €150 this year (From €570 to €420)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..well mine went up, and then they gave me a 'bigger discount' to bring it to less than last years.

So, will the Real Insurance Premium please Stand Up ? .

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 843 ✭✭✭HandsomeDan

Mine dropped from 520 to 410, 119 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

My renewal, which I didn't take, went from 720→670 this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

mine dropped 680 to 478

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

It would appear that I'm talking out if my hat. Honestly, the people on here telling me their premiums have gone down is a first for me. Good stuff so.

As a matter of interest, to the people who've received reductions, was it with your existing company or did you change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭dh0011

stuck with liberty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭RustyNut

They got the whole putting it up for women thing in MRS Nut's case. The renual went from €350 to over €700 with axa, when she called she was told that's it take it or leave it.

After 10 minutes online she got it for less than last years renual.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭keithsfleet

The girlfriends renewal 2 months ago had jumped from 700→8 something.
    After a bit of shopping around and a possible clerical error managed to get it for 260.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Mine went down in January, however it brought me into my fifth year no claims. Funny though with the gender thing, adding my mother brought it down about €70.

Was with Tesco, now with 123. Policy went down by nearly e100.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Mine went down by about €20 to €320, the wife's went up by about the same to €350 (both with Aviva - fully comp).

• Advertisement
Advertisement