Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Detailing Thread

• 29-11-2011 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

I'm thinking we need a dedicated detailing thread whether it be this or another.

Products, projects, pics etc etc

(edit) For the unenlightened: - http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php enjoy

I have a fair it of kit already incl DAS6 DA and Sonus 6" and spot pads and polish. Loads of random products. My best Wax is Zymol Carbon but I'm running low. Looking to source Swissvax Mirage, probably from UK.

So, this week Santa is coming early for me :D Put an order in to cyc last night for the following (with some help from Stewie's thread on dw): -

Order Inventory:
    Product: Snow Foam Lance - Various fittings
    Product: Valet Pro - PH Neutral Snow Foam
    Product: Meguiars Hyper wash
    Product: Meguiars Lambswool Wash Mitt
    Product: Sonus Der Wunder Drying Towel, Pkg/2
    Product: Chemical Guys - Vertua Bond 408
    Product: Gtechniq - C1 Crystal Lacquer (25ml)
    Product: Meguiars Last Touch
    Product: 600ml Plastic Bottle with Sprayer
    Product: Meguiars - Body Solvent
    Product: Sonus Acrylic Glanz
    Product: ClearKote Wax Applicator Pad
    Product: 3M 3434 Masking Tape
    Product: Sonus SFX-2 Enhance Polish
    Product: Sonus SFX-3 Final Finish Polish
    Product: Sonus Der Wunder Buffing Towel, Pkg/2
    Product: Ultimate German Applicator
    Product: Meguiars Detailing Swabs
    Product: Meguiars All Purpose Cleaner

This is all for the E39 and the Bora and ultimately the 8er.

I missed out on a few things for trim etc but need to do some more research first.

Pics and progress to follow as and when :)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Where did you order it from?

EDIT:See it now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Where did you order it from?

cleanyourcar.co.uk My preferred supplier having dealt with a few.

I didn't know which snow lance fitting to use for my Honda power washer. They suggested I take a pic and within 20 mins they had an email response for me with the correct fitting and it's size for me to confirm.
    Free shipping. Good stock levels.

(edit) Too late ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭vetstu

The C1 looks good, from the posts from DW. I have the gtechniq G1 on my windscreen and it works brilliantly. Have a bottle of C1 too, just waiting till the spring till I am fit enough to give the car a run of the DA and apply it.
    I'm just a bit nervous about f'ing up the application of it.

I've practiced with the DA on a few motors at this stage. My LS400 :(, mates 335i ( :D ) and others.

It's not at all difficult and pretty risk free. Laborious though. Advise obtaining paint thickness readings beforehand. I got a cheap piece of kit from eBay and it does a grand job. Came from Poland I think.

vetstu wrote: »
    The C1 looks good, from the posts from DW. I have the gtechniq G1 on my windscreen and it works brilliantly. Have a bottle of C1 too, just waiting till the spring till I am fit enough to give the car a run of the DA and apply it.
    I'm just a bit nervous about f'ing up the application of it.

Seriously pricey and with you on the planking it bit. Defintely waiting for perfect conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

E39MSport wrote: »
    cleanyourcar.co.uk My preferred supplier having dealt with a few

Going for a nosy, haven't used that site before & car could do with a good going over :o

Miss the barn for reversing in & getting stuck in for a few hours! :P Bloody rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Just bought a Sealy buffer... forget the model - AND - it is too wet to go look in the garage. Something like 900PS??

Also I (hand) polished an uncle's old van recently with 2000 grit then 3M hand glaze.. wow, it looks like new, really he has the world's shiniest 1999 Berlingo.

Have a wet and dry vac for the house.. just got a wet long hose so I can the interior of the car. FYI the standard Fiat 500 interior is bugger for getting marks on the seats.. even rain drop leave stains. So next dry day I will tackle that.

Looking for advice on window cleaning.. was usung Karcher spray, but want to learn how to "deep clean" it rather than smear the dirt around.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Damn you, I've now already got £80 worth of stuff in my basket...

:P

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭aristotle25

Looking to source Swissvax Mirage, probably from UK.

The prices are fairly uniform across all the websites. Got mine from amazon.co.uk.

A standard foam applicator will be fine to apply it. No need to buy the swissvax applicator.

Someone on here mentioned a CG or gtechniq product (I think) a while back for restoring trim and adding a polymer surface to it.

Can't recall what it was though ??

The plastic type stuff on the E39 is showing its age big time and lets the car down when the paintwork and wheels have been worked on.

Think I just found it - Gtechniq - C4 Permanent Trim Restorer.

I've heard good things about the CG New Look Trim Gel as well though.

So much choice .....

• Advertisement

.. while I'm at it...

Last few cars I've had I either remove the seatbelts and clean with something like woolite OR fully extract and do likewise in a bucket beside the car.

What makes them like new after a wash (retract faster and feel/smell great) is Poorboys Natural Look Dressing.

Cheaper but very effective alternative is Silicon Spray (Halfords do a branded one).

If you can't be arsed washing the belt then just spray it with Silicon - makes a huge difference to tired seatelts.

Let the spray absorb into the belt and dry out before putting near your clothes.

Ok, question for you E39, did you pay by PayPal?

They wont ship to an "unverified" PayPal address and their support system requires you to be a member before you can submit a Ticket. Kind of goes against the whole reason I'm trying to use PayPal, so I dont have to register on another site. :-/

Howdy.
    I tried paypal also and got the same result so used my cc. Haven't looked into getting my address verified by paypal.

Howdy.
    I tried paypal also and got the same result so used my cc. Haven't looked into getting my address verified by paypal.

It's pretty difficult for us, they only really Address verify for US addresses and UK ones. Our lack of proper postcodes is our worst enemy there I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,479 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hey lads
    Bargain DA here for someone
    http://www.octane.ie/parts/part.php?id=2207

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭TomMc

E39 the Chemical Guys dressing would only give short term results and would have to be re-applied several times a year. The Gtechniq one is a longer term solution. There are other products like Black Wow or Carpro Perl that fit in somewhere between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

vectra wrote: »
    Hey lads

It was sold in 5 mins, I was too late :(. Sure was a bargin.

I find Tesco brand foam cleaner and bumper "back to black" (for the engine plastics and rubbers) nice value at €2.50 a can... sometimes it is €1.25!

The foam cleaner works a treat on the cooker hob too!

Just an FYI for anyone else. The PayPal issue with Address Verification is no longer an issue once you've Registered with the website.

So just register and you can then use PayPal no problem. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

vectra wrote: »
    Hey lads
    I bought that :D got it like 2 mins after he posted it up!

• Advertisement

Nice one !! Well wear (not the paintwork ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Any (easily available and cheap(ish)) good leather cleaner/conditioners? Just got some clay from cleancar.ie, looks to be good quality. I'm also trying to sort out a load of swirl marks on the Alfa, any recommendations?

For swirls, I'd be using my DA and either Sonus 1 or 2, but si guru above says he went at it with some fine grit and 3M polish by hand.

I think I read on cyc yesterday about the German applicator helping with manual application of typically machine applied polishes. In fact, here it is
    "The pad is firm enough to allow polishes to be worked agressively enough to actually break the polish down reducing the risk of dullness and hazing. We have found it possible to use polishes that traditionally had to be applied by machine by hand using this pad!"

Megs Paint cleaner is also good - slightly abrasive but not sure if it would tackle cobwebbing/swirls.

For leather I use the AG stuff and I think it's good. It's creamy white substance though. I've read other positive reviews of it on here and elsewhere. Halfords have it. Smells nice too :)

Confab wrote: »
    Any (easily available and cheap(ish)) good leather cleaner/conditioners? Just got some clay from cleancar.ie, looks to be good quality. I'm also trying to sort out a load of swirl marks on the Alfa, any recommendations?

I use Chemical Guys Liquid Leather cleaner/conditioner.
    http://www.cleancar.ie/Chemical_Guys_-_Liquid_Leather_Conditioner___Cleaner.html
    I clean them first with a light solution of APC and warm water. Wipe them down and dry them.then spray this stuff on them and wipe.
    Lock up the car. Nice smell next morning.
    Keeps the leather looking good as well.

This seems to be good at getting rid of Masking swirl marks
    http://www.cleancar.ie/auto-finesse-tripple-all-in-one-250ml.html

Have a look here >> http://vagdrivers.net/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=72184&view=findpost&p=700275

Fine grit is grand if you are brave - or like me, the car couldn't be made any worse! Also I practised on an old van we have in the field to store concrete bags... There are some great tutorials on YouTube!

What are cleancar.ie like for delivery?

What are cleancar.ie like for delivery?

I can assure you that you will find it hard to beat them.. 99% of the time I would say next day delivery. Once I had to wait two days as they were waiting on one item I ordered, to be fair to them they still insisted on next day for me and post the one item seperate. I told therm no need, send it all together.. OH, and you will get a free lollipop in your order :D

Lollipop ? sold :D

Lollipop ? sold :D

They are Nice one's as well :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭5500

Anyone got any reccomendations for a half decent wet & dry vac thats not mega bucks? For the odd use I'd get out of it I dont want to be spending loads. I know hiring is a cheap option but I'd prefare my own one.

I got a kestrel da last year and only used it once on my civic. It came with a pack of sonus polish & pad's but after doing my civic with it I still had some swirls. I'll have to check the numbers on the polish I may just have used something with not enough cut but that paint is that thin on the car I thought I would have gotten away with it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement