Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Official Bitch about daily life in NUIG!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

Well I can't see how allowing people to leave anytime they want would mean less noise.

If no one taking the same exam as you can leave in the last half an hour, then there is no noise from people taking the same exam as you, leaving in the last half an hour.

And I don't see student's, bar a couple, rushing their exam to finish it at 31 minutes before so they can leave 15 minutes early, rather than 15 minutes later.

Stress at exam time, specifically whist sitting an exam, can be immense for some student.
    Its ridiculous to say that if a student feels under pressure at this time they will do terrible in many work environments, that is simply not true.

I agree with you about exams being a poor way of assessing students.
    I wonder, say in 10 years time, what direction assessing students will have gone?

Eh what are you on about? I said 31 minutes before the end, as you see a lot of people leaving just before the 'cut off' time.

And I didn't mention being under pressure, I said if you're gettin that badly distracted by 30 or so people walking out of an exam hall you're going to have a nightmare in a hectic work environment. The noise isn't that bad, it's not like they're coming over ruffling you hair and trying to bum you (maybe that's just me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I wish Christmas exam results didn't take so long coming back. I just want to have them completely over and done with and not have to think about them when I get back. We were told by 1 lecturer that it might be February when we have his module's one back. We already got 1 full result, just give us the rest! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭ZRelation

Trust me, marking a big dirty pile of barely legible exam scripts does not make for a fun Christmas!! Although it does beat some of the fine Christmas TV!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Fionn MacCool

I wish Christmas exam results didn't take so long coming back. I just want to have them completely over and done with and not have to think about them when I get back. We were told by 1 lecturer that it might be February when we have his module's one back. We already got 1 full result, just give us the rest! :mad:

I did 3 essays and 2 IT assignments back before mid-November and haven't received a single mark back. €6000 well spent ;)

Not really bothered about exam results, you usually know coming out of them if you've done well or not. That said, the fact we are never told about mark schemes make it a bit harder to gauge how well you might have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

IT building was supposed to be open since the 1st but hasn't meaning I have to use the stupid computer suites on the concourse which are absolutely freezing and are so limited. Blackboard is down, and my supervisor hasn't responded to my emails which makes me think either he can't get access to the internet or my studentmail is on the fritz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Maigh Eo

Recently I have started taking in packets of "cup of soups" as I over spent during the Christmas season. So finding out that I had to pay 25 cent for a cup of hot water in the bialann is a JOKE. The following day the lady in Starbucks was really afraid to give me a cup of hot water and told me off! Its hot water for flips sake!:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Maigh Eo wrote: »
    Recently I have started taking in packets of "cup of soups" as I over spent during the Christmas season. So finding out that I had to pay 25 cent for a cup of hot water in the bialann is a JOKE. The following day the lady in Starbucks was really afraid to give me a cup of hot water and told me off! Its hot water for flips sake!:cool:

Hot water is not free and neither is the cup!

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Maigh Eo

snubbleste wrote: »
    Hot water is not free and neither is the cup!

Not even a paper one???:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

They work out around 10c each believe it or not!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

No.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

So finding out that I had to pay 25 cent for a cup of hot water in the bialann is a JOKE

You're actually paying for the paper cup. I noticed this for the first time this morning when getting a cup of tea. There was a sign that said, "Disposable Cups: 25c".

Remember, those cups and the cost of constantly boiling water can get pretty high. You could reach a compromise by bringing in cuppa soups and a flask of hot water? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭ct89

1. Bialann too small especially at 1-3pm
    2. Lack of pc suite space
    3. Ditto for library
    4. SU are self-serving politicians, make no mistake
    5. G4 fúckers, the cp going type
    6. Paying for a gym we cant use unless we pay a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 41 muselover

Anyone else feel like they're being watched when eating in the Bialann?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Are you hot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭HotDogger

I think everyone should boycott all of the stores and restaurants on campus until they:

1) get rid of the student levy.

2) get rid of the student union.

3) let people use the gym.

Or everyone could bus over to Dublin again. I'm sure a second round would get 'er done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Need for more and bigger lecture rooms.

Need for more and bigger lecture rooms.

Arts student? I saw pictures of a lecture in AM250 and couldn't believe how packed it was. People sitting on the stairs all the way from the top to the bottom. Serious violation of the fire code as well, but I suppose the "sure it'll be grand" mentality applies...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭HotDogger

In all fairness, those rooms will be half empty by mid-semester. Still, it's amazing how much of the AM building is a big waste of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

muselover wrote: »
    Anyone else feel like they're being watched when eating in the Bialann?

Are you a person of generous girth? In my experience it is only ever such individuals that have issues with being seen while eating.

HotDogger wrote: »
    Still, it's amazing how much of the AM building is a big waste of space.

Care to elaborate?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

fecking 9am starts :mad: had 3 of them last semester, but now it's been bumped up to 4. lecturer was flexible for the friday one, but there was one person another time didn't suit so we had to go with 9am on friday. it used be my lie-in day, but now i've got early starts every morning (10am on monday, 9am every other day)
    feck it anyhow :mad:

whiteman19 wrote: »
    fecking 9am starts :mad: had 3 of them last semester, but now it's been bumped up to 4. lecturer was flexible for the friday one, but there was one person another time didn't suit so we had to go with 9am on friday. it used be my lie-in day, but now i've got early starts every morning (10am on monday, 9am every other day)

Bloody physics students...

I remember having only one 9am start in first-year. Lecturer walked in on the first 9am start of the year - "Yeah... *yawns*... this is too early." Ended up moving it to 11am. Went from the earliest start to the latest start.

Hurrah for this semester's 4pm Monday starts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

ct89 wrote: »
    1. Bialann too small especially at 1-3pm
    2. Lack of pc suite space
    3. Ditto for library
    4. SU are self-serving politicians, make no mistake
    5. G4 fúckers, the cp going type
    6. Paying for a gym we cant use unless we pay a bit more

1) It is better than it ever was with about 100 new seats. There are also plenty of other places to eat on campus if you dont like Bialann. Go to Friars or Moffetts or the College bar. The college is 10 min walk from town where you have a wealth of choices. Capitalism FTW.

2) 99% of students have laptops, so pc suites arent needed as much as they were even 5 years ago.

3) Library is empty now, it is always going to be full coming up to exams. Students are going into "study mode" a lot sooner than ever before, and that is a problem, but at least the amount of spaces for laptops (wifi connections and power sockets) have been drastically increased since I got here 4 years ago.

4) Most of the SU over the last 3 years have been friends of mine. They aren't self serving. Incompetent at times, but they mean well. They get distracted by things that don't actually matter (protests for one) and should focus on other things. Their mandate is given by the class reps. If you are a class rep you can tell them what to do. If they arent doing what you want, tell them. They are open to that kind of thing.

Or, one better, get up off your a55 and join it. Be the change you want to see instead of being an armchair politician.

5) you're always going to have twats like that. Commerce students and scum bags. At least we arent limerick or Dublin where the problems are far worse.

6) You said it yourself, "a bit more". On the whole, €250 for a years membership is a bargain compared to other gyms and the facilities are great. The €100 didn't go entirely towards the gym. There was some american dude that donating a certain amount, providing that we as students, matched it.

€100 levy/student/year for 12 years (could be 18, cant remember) matches it. It took a referendum to bring it in, and it can be gotten rid of by another referendum (I'll refer you to point 4), but the money will have to come from somewhere.

Quit your whining.

Arts student? I saw pictures of a lecture in AM250 and couldn't believe how packed it was. People sitting on the stairs all the way from the top to the bottom. Serious violation of the fire code as well, but I suppose the "sure it'll be grand" mentality applies...

I remember having that problem in first year biology. We complained at first, but then 2 weeks in to first year, kids realise that they dont have to go to lectures and suddenly everyone could have fitted into a class room.

They know that this'll happen so they don't worry about it. I heard that it was persistent this year, going on into October. For us this would only happen for an excellent lecturer, or one who refused to put stuff up on blackboard.

You're in for a shock in a few years buddy...:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MissMiami

5) you're always going to have twats like that. Commerce students and scum bags. At least we arent limerick or Dublin where the problems are far worse.

Sorry, what's that supposed to mean?

MissMiami wrote: »
    Sorry, what's that supposed to mean?

Girls: BOPs. (Fake) blonde hair, Orange skin, pink clothes. Trying to be american or black or both when they are actually from the Ballynamiddleonowhere, Donegal. Don't consider it a good night out unless they get smashed on vodka before they go out with their gaggle of screaming girl friends.

Guys: Have a Sunday best tracksuit for going out. Wear stripped jumpers by exclusive brands that everyone could have (i.e Burberry). May go looking for fights at the end of a night out of boredom or because they think it'll impress a girl.

The above are usually (but not always) arts/commerce students. Call it experience having been in college far too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭MissMiami

^^^^

That description of a girl does not describe me or any one of my friends in Commerce or Arts nor anyone I know in those courses.

I think it is very ignorant to stereotype people just because of what course they do. Maybe you have a bad impression of people in those courses because you met a couple of people who act this way but it is absolutely not the norm/typical Commerce student. I have been to Cp's once in the whole time I've been in college!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Bloody physics students...

I remember having only one 9am start in first-year. Lecturer walked in on the first 9am start of the year - "Yeah... *yawns*... this is too early." Ended up moving it to 11am. Went from the earliest start to the latest start.

Hurrah for this semester's 4pm Monday starts!
    -_- bloody IT students...

btw are you doing methods of maths physics this semester? did you get your results for the exam? dunno if Petri has made them available.
    benjamin d wrote: »
    You're in for a shock in a few years buddy...:rolleyes:
    well excuse me, guess you didn't read the thread title...i'm bitching about life in NUIG :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

well excuse me, guess you didn't read the thread title...i'm bitching about life in NUIG :rolleyes:

Thats not life in NUIG, thats just life.:rolleyes:

Advertisement