Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slaw ??

• 15-11-2011 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,725 ✭✭✭✭

I've gotten really into doing what I'm calling slaw lately.
    I guess it's not really slaw as there's generally no cabbage in but I can't think what else to call them. So it's just grated raw vegetables with some flavourings. Very tasty and healthy too. I'm not often a lover of mayonnaise so my slaws aren't creamy - the only things I like traditional coleslaw with are burgers and/or chips.

So tonight's is grated Jerusalem artichoke with carrot, spring onion and apple flavoured with lemon and lime juice, ginger (finely grated), wasabi and a touch of honey.

Recently did one with just artichoke flavoured with lemon juice, mustard (Dijon), olive oil and a touch of honey - good with steak.

I've really liked fennel and carrot with ginger, lemon, wasabi, soy and sesame oil.

So, anyone have other grate :rolleyes: ideas for slaws ??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Yeah, I hate mayonnaise, so traditional coleslaw ain't for me. I usually do:

Shredded white cabbage & grated carrots mixed with lemon juice, natural yoghurt, red wine vinegar, cayenne pepper, smoked paprika & red wine vinegar.

Fresh as a daisy!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

You should have quick look at the smitten kitchen blog if you're into slaw. She's a touch obsessed with it. http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/05/broccoli-slaw/
    (If you scroll down through the post you'll find a list of links to some others she's done.)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Grated carrot and celeriac with a rapeseed oil and vinegar dressing.
    I sometimes mix raisins with shredded veges, and sometimes seeds like pinenuts/sesame/pumpkin seeds.
    Mostly just white cabbage and carrot with red onion and some spring onion, and a tiny bit of home made mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Esox Lucias

Sorry to invade the thread, but seen as this seems to be slaw central...

How long will slaw last in the fridge, just a basic one, perhaps some beetroot in there too?

Thinking about making some for the first time for dinner tonight, and wondering if i made a large amount would it last me the week for lunches and other things?

Cheers

P.s. I will prob have mayo in it, if that is detrimental to its use by date i can leave it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭GHOST MGG2

the only thing thats detrimental to the shelf life of any slaw is onion.
    other than that if theres a vinegar involved in the slaw it should last up to a full
    week or so

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

From Jamie Oliver's 30 minute meals: Thai Green Curry Episode.

KIMCHEE SLAW
    • a small bunch of radishes
    • 1 red onion
    • ½ a Chinese cabbage
    • a small bunch of fresh coriander
    • 1 fresh red chilli
    • 1 fresh green chilli
    • a 2cm piece of fresh ginger
    • 2 limes
    • sesame oil

Wash the radishes well. Peel and halve the red onion. Shred the radishes, red onion and Chinese cabbage in the food processor. Tip into a serving bowl. Add the bunch of coriander and the chillies (stalks removed) to the processor and whiz. Peel and crush in the ginger, then tip into the bowl.

Squeeze in the juice from both limes, and add a pinch of salt and a splash of sesame oil. Really scrunch together with your hands. Taste to check the balance.

Scrunching it together releases all the water and juices inside the veg and this, along with the lime juice and oil will be your "dressing".

Goes great with all asian dishes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 33 butterfly84

Last night I had....

Beetroot chopped into matchsticks stirfried for a few mins
    Teaspoon of honey
    Teaspoon of Wholegrain mustard
    Lemon juice (around half a lemon)
    Chop and stir through some feta cheese at the end

This was yummy hot or hold!

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

Not sure if it qualifies as a slaw! but cucumber and courgette with a dressing of orange juice (some times I add a little zest) and a drop of light olive oil is a gorgeous summer side dish. Slice (or use a peeler for long strips) the veg very thinly, add some very thinly sliced red onion for a bit more pep.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭nompere

muckety wrote: »
    Not sure if it qualifies as a slaw! but cucumber and courgette with a dressing of orange juice (some times I add a little zest) and a drop of light olive oil is a gorgeous summer side dish. Slice (or use a peeler for long strips) the veg very thinly, add some very thinly sliced red onion for a bit more pep.

Of course it qualifies as a "slaw".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coleslaw

The "slaw" part of coleslaw means salad - it's the "cole" part that means cabbage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Bumpity bump! I'm looking for light, fresh slaw recipes. Anyone got new ones to contribute?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

German coleslaw?

Slice some white and red cabbage and salt it to soften it up a bit. Leave it for about half an hour, then drain the excess water away.

Make a light vinaigrette with 2tsp of sugar, 1tsp of salt, some white wine vinegar and a little water. Stir until the sugar and salt are dissolved.
    Mix with the cabbage and add about 1tsp of carraway seeds.

Cut up some bacon or pancetta (50g or so) into small cubes and fry them until crisp.
    Pour the bacon and fat into the coleslaw and let it rest for about an hour.

If you don't want to do the bacon, just add a bit of sunflower oil to the cabbage instead.

Advertisement