Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games off due to cup games and DGW's

• 15-01-2014 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭

This is something we will have to pay attention to, between now and the end of the season.
    The first game we can safely say is off is the gw 28 fixture between Man city and man utd due to the capital one cup final taking place that weekend. If sunderland overcome man utd, sunderland and west brom will also be called off. Potentially these games could be refixed for the midweek after the cup final but not sure any of the clubs would want to agree to that.
    The next problem will arise in GW 29 when the fa cup quarter finals will clash with the PL fixtures. We will have a good few postponements here and going by last year these games wont be refixed for the midweek after as CL games are scheduled for then. There is a rule that PL games cant be scheduled for the same night as CL games as far as I know.
    Good to have a thread to keep all this information in the one place. All will become clearer over the next few weeks. City potentially could have a blank in gw 28 and 29.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,600 ✭✭✭roryc

Bring on the double gameweeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

roryc wrote: »
    Bring on the double gameweeks!

and a few blanks makes it more challenging.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

City potentially could have a blank in gw 28 and 29.

Another aspect of the game that is new to me.

There will need to be a bit of thought and planning put into a potential double blank like that I'd imagine considering most will have 2 or 3 City assets!!

I must start learning to bank FTs, something I have yet to manage!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Good idea to have it all in one place. Hopefully I can make my WC work for me this year last year I used my wildcard when I was around 900th and only just scraped a top 10k finish!

For those of us with no wildcard left working carefully towards these blanks / dgws will be a challenge!

• Advertisement

Just don't have more than 2 players from any one team. It may hurt people with Aguero, Silva, Zab, Januzaj for example...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

FHFC wrote: »
    Another aspect of the game that is new to me.

There will need to be a bit of thought and planning put into a potential double blank like that I'd imagine considering most will have 2 or 3 City assets!!

I must start learning to bank FTs, something I have yet to manage!!! :)

Not sure how well you are doing overall but I know it's your first year, these double gameweeks are your best chance to make up serious ground on the casual players who will be above you in private leagues. Last year there were some massive dgw successes, perhaps somebody else will remind me of the big ones. It doesn't require a huge pile of planning as you'll have at least two game weeks to prepare and we'll be talking about little else;)

City having two blanks in a row will be a challenge to manage though, points hits might be the order of the day as they'll almost certainly pay you back with their home fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Can't wait for the double gameweeks and the blanks. That is when serious ground can be made up on casual players, I'm banking on the Double gameweeks to allow me to get to the top of my private leagues. It's something that has never failed me yet. I once recouped a 100 point deficit on league leader in 3 gameweeks due to double gameweeks.

Not sure how well you are doing overall but I know it's your first year, these double gameweeks are your best chance to make up serious ground on the casual players who will be above you in private leagues. Last year there were some massive dgw successes, perhaps somebody else will remind me of the big ones. It doesn't require a huge pile of planning as you'll have at least two game weeks to prepare and we'll be talking about little else;)

City having two blanks in a row will be a challenge to manage though, points hits might be the order of the day as they'll almost certainly pay you back with their home fixtures.

I look forward to it!! Sounds right up my obsessive compulsive street. :D

I'm in top 20k overall at present and 4th in my main league which has a decent prize pot, and would love to press on and have a crack at winning it. I've only about 30 pts to make up on 1st place.

FHFC wrote: »
    I look forward to it!! Sounds right up my obsessive compulsive street. :D

I'm in top 20k overall at present and 4th in my main league which has a decent prize pot, and would love to press on and have a crack at winning it. I've only about 30 pts to make up on 1st place.

Bloody hell, you are doing amazingly well for a rookie, when you are that high up it's not so easy to use the DGW's to make up major ground as most others up there will be doing more than a quick 5 minute glance on a Friday evening.

I think we're all obsessive compulsives around here, this game does that to us.

• Advertisement

Bloody hell, you are doing amazingly well for a rookie, when you are that high up it's not so easy to use the DGW's to make up major ground as most others up there will be doing more than a quick 5 minute glance on a Friday evening.

I think we're all obsessive compulsives around here, this game does that to us.

I'm a 'don't do anything by halves' kinda person... :o I didn't know the rules of this game 6 months ago, but I did a hell of a lot of research before picking my team, then I found this forum and the rest is history!

I think that most of those in my private league are not really the 'full timer' kind of player, so hoping I can skip past a few of them at least.

That City V United game could just be moved midweek as I think both sides would be free. It would still count as the same gameweek in that case.

it could but if they play each other in the final on the sunday, Im not too sure they would be too keen to face off again 3 days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Yeah I read the first post again and saw it was already mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭TaytoCrisps

you've got to love the double game weeks towards the end of the season, they can really make or break the season for you. We need to get suarez in a double game week to take captain choice out of the equation :D

3 city players at present and 1 united so i'd be ok for a blank at the moment with those 2 .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,336 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

zarquon wrote: »
    Can't wait for the double gameweeks and the blanks. That is when serious ground can be made up on casual players, I'm banking on the Double gameweeks to allow me to get to the top of my private leagues. It's something that has never failed me yet. I once recouped a 100 point deficit on league leader in 3 gameweeks due to double gameweeks.

Same, I start working towards the double gameweeks and the blanks well in advance of them and it has paid off for me every time!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The fa cup quarters weekend is always a killer cos there is prem fixtures that weekend unlike the 3rd 4th 5th round. majority of q finalists are from prem so loads of matches off

So City Utd will definetly have a blank GW 28. From reading the FFS article there is international games the midweek of GW 28(something I hadnt realised) so the game will not be refixed for the midweek. As I mentioned before GW29 is Fa Cup qfinal weekend and with their being CL games the midweek of GW29( city play Barca), there should be no games refixed for then. If city get to the fa cup qfinal they will have 2 blanks in a row Gw 28 & 29. Utd will definetly play gw 29 as they face wba and both of those teams are out of the cup already. Its going to get very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,091 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

So City Utd will definetly have a blank GW 28. From reading the FFS article there is international games the midweek of GW 28(something I hadnt realised) so the game will not be refixed for the midweek. As I mentioned before GW29 is Fa Cup qfinal weekend and with their being CL games the midweek of GW29( city play Barca), there should be no games refixed for then. If city get to the fa cup qfinal they will have 2 blanks in a row Gw 28 & 29. Utd will definetly play gw 29 as they face wba and both of those teams are out of the cup already. Its going to get very interesting.

Was thinking a bit about this last night, is there any(much) of a chance that the games will be brought forward?

Was working on a plan and then got the sh*ts when the thought of it being brought forward entered my head.

When do they generally announce the changes?

Was thinking a bit about this last night, is there any(much) of a chance that the games will be brought forward?

Was working on a plan and then got the sh*ts when the thought of it being brought forward entered my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,535 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

and this is why people keep there wildcard till now. i had a bad start so didnt

• Advertisement

And so it begins. Cannot wait! This year has been the year of the casual player where uninspired bandwagons have turned into must haves. People never breaking 100 or 200K before now getting into the top 5K with ease! These double GWs will punish the casual players. Certainly a strong bench is required.

I imagine most will have 3 Man City players and their CUP progressions will make things difficult. A lot of people bringing the likes of Januzaj and Evans in on the cheap will be screwed for GW 28 as they could have 5 players missing! Same will happen other teams as the CL and FA Cup progresses.

And so it begins. Cannot wait! This year has been the year of the casual player where uninspired bandwagons have turned into must haves. People never breaking 100 or 200K before now getting into the top 5K with ease! These double GWs will punish the casual players. Certainly a strong bench is required.

I imagine most will have at least 3 Man City players and their CUP progressions will make things difficult. A lot of people bringing the likes of Januzaj and Evans in on the cheap will be screwed for GW 28 as they could have 5 players missing! Same will happen other teams as the CL and FA Cup progresses.

Let me be the first to point out your schoolboy error;), sorry:o

Anyway it is for this reason that I don't ever like having three from one team in my own team, either way we have plenty of notice, problem is that some won't be able to afford to dump Aguero or Yaya due to crazy price rises, it'll be a test of the squads no doubt. I thought that City AND United had a guaranteed blank in week 28.

I imagine most will have at least 3 Man City players and their CUP progressions will make things difficult. A lot of people bringing the likes of Januzaj and Evans in on the cheap will be screwed for GW 28 as they could have 5 players missing! Same will happen other teams as the CL and FA Cup progresses.

100% agree! I limited myself to two City players despite wanting Kolorov, and will continue to avoid the United players like the plague!

My bench is my main worry atm with Coleman (injured), Chester (out until March) and Colback (not guaranteed 90 mins). Would obviously be beneficial to still have my WC but no regrets using it when I did, these consecutive injuries can happen anytime, hindsight is a great thing!

We have plenty of time between now and GW28 to manage this. Hopefully it catches the bandwagoners out. I'll happily bench Aguero + Silva for a week but if it looks like they'll miss 2 in a row then one of them will have to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Like roryc, I'm also limiting myself to 2 x City in my WC because of this and avoiding United players for now. But two blank gameweeks will bring major headaches.

PARlance wrote: »

If city were knocked out of the fa cup this weekend(unlikely) they could fix the utd city game for the weekend of the 5th round of FA cup giving us a double gw 26. This happened last year with a Liverpool Swansea double.
    GW 29 could be carnage depending on how many of the quarter finalists are prem league teams.

Let me be the first to point out your schoolboy error;), sorry:o

Typo, although technically it is possible if City transfer in someone from another PL team that happens to be in your fantasy team. For example you could have 3 UTD players and bring Mata in as a Chelsea player and he will still be playable if he transfers over although this would have to be rectified when you make your next transfer.

Definately some good learning for me here, and time for me to revisit my 3 City and 2 United wildcard draft!

I will have the likes of Yaya and maybe RVP at current prices so could sell and swap around, but maybe Kolarov is a luxury I can't afford.....

Cheers lads.

If city were knocked out of the fa cup this weekend(unlikely) they could fix the utd city game for the weekend of the 5th round of FA cup giving us a double gw 26. This happened last year with a Liverpool Swansea double.
    GW 29 could be carnage depending on how many of the quarter finalists are prem league teams.

Cheers, I'll hold that 20 point hit till after the weekend so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Neoulous

problem is that some won't be able to afford to dump Aguero or Yaya due to crazy price rises, it'll be a test of the squads no doubt.

If City are certain to miss 2 GWs in a row it may be worth selling either or one of your City attacker. Depending on the fixtures list for both these GWs there could be a mass exodus from these players and they could drop £0.2m per week for example. Anyway it's only conjectures until we know for sure what's gonna happen. Keeping 2 FT for that period could well be essential though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I only have Yaya and Aguero from City and can easily transfer Yaya out as have no price rises from him.

City and Chelsea are the only teams I have two players from so this will suit me fine.

Spurs and United are already out of the Cup. What other PL teams are folks?

Advertisement