Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

my cats poo stinks

Options
  • 29-07-2009 12:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭

sorry if this is a gross thread

my kitten tillys 14 weeks old. Hes v happy and healthy- had all his shots and is off to the vet to be netured in october. Ive even had him shot for cat flu and cat lukemia. I adore him and make sure hes v healthy- hes been wormed and his ears checked for mites and cleaned with every visit to the vet (3 since i got him ) We take v good care of him we adore him.

We feed him wiskas kitten food with a bit of dry food, he wont drink kitten milk but ADORES water . Sometimes we give him chicken and tuna and he nearly takes the hand off us. Vet said hes a bit overweight(as he has a pot belly even though he has been wormed, this vet didnt even weigh him) but we checked with another vet who said hes a healthy weight.

Hes really grown since we got him.Hes bigger(i mean taller and his legs are longer) than the rest of the litter- i know as family has the rest of the litter)

But last few weeks his poo smells just AWFUL. his litter trays in the bathroom and when he goes we can smell it from the sitting room. Anyone know why this is.Some people say a smelly poos a sign of a bad diet...but We are feeding him the best kitten food out there and he wants for nothing(yes hes spoiled he runs the house ha)

Also latley he just poos and leaves- doesnt bother burying it anymore

Can anyone help

thanks

PS- pics for regulars to see how big hes gotten since we got him:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Whiskas isn't great food it does make them pong to high heaven, switching gradually to another brand perhaps dry food only will help like Burns, I think Royal canin do cat food too and there's a good few other ones.

I fed foster cats and a kitten on Burns and it really made a difference to their poops, still smelled of course but no way near as strong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

Whiskas isn't great food it does make them pong to high heaven, switching gradually to another brand perhaps dry food only will help like Burns, I think Royal canin do cat food too and there's a good few other ones.

I fed foster cats and a kitten on Burns and it really made a difference to their poops, still smelled of course but no way near as strong.

Maybe thats it so- my partner tried him with a tin of aldi cat food the other day and the fecker nearly bit my partner to get to the bowl he adored it. I think hes bored of the wiskas but they are the only brand that does kitten food in our supermarket, and ive been told we have to feed him the kitten food until he is one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cats can get bored of the one food all the time and if offered anything else they can turn their nose up at the one they used to eat. Some go on hunger strike until owners give in lol. When they get a new food they'll horse esp. kittens or puppies.

Have a look at the ingredients on the bags/tins usually the more additives etc. pet food has the stinkier their poop is.

Burns and some other brands tend not to have so many additives or any in some cases, and although they appear more expensive it's measured out and works out cheaper in some cases than buying wet food. They're available in most vets now.

I'd usually keep kittens on kitten food until about 6 months then switch to adult not sure what others do though.

Cats can get bored of the one food all the time and if offered anything else they can turn their nose up at the one they used to eat. Some go on hunger strike until owners give in lol. When they get a new food they'll horse esp. kittens or puppies.

I'd usually keep kittens on kitten food until about 6 months then switch to adult not sure what others do though.

Oh i know- he didnt eat for 2 days once because he didnt like what we gave him, we changed to a different brand food for a week and he ate like a pig. Then when we went bk to the whiskas he ate it again- hes a fecker:P

is 6 months safe to take him off kitten food. ive never owned a cat before and every site i went to says keep them on kitten food for a year- but hes so bloody fussy:(

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

Your kitten looks so cute..
    No Whiskas is not the best food in the market and Yes, it makes their poos smelly terribly bad.
    After researching on the net what will be the best food I can give to my kitten (well he is now 2years old!), I switched completely with raw meat - because cats are OBLIGATE carnivore.
    Like you, I wanted the best for my cat and that he is healthy (even if he is indoor, I also have him vaccinated against leukamia).
    Have a look at this link : http://www.felinefuture.com/

This is what I feed my cat since he was 4months old and have never had any health issue. The only time, my cat went to the vet is for a general health check and booster shots. The decision is only on you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I found that our two's poo smelt pretty bad too when they were on kitten food. It got better when they graduated to adult food.

thanks for all the info guys-

can anyone help with this...

Also latley he just poos and leaves- doesnt bother burying it anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭Call me Socket

Maybe cos you come along and clean up after him? No need to bury it if you have a slave to take care of your business!:D
    There's a chance he may have stepped backwards into a soft one when he was trying to cover it and so just avoids it and hops out when he's done.

I second the advice above- steer clear of Whiskas, it's by the makers of Pedigree. And steer clear of ANY make of wet food- most of it is sh!te, and with 75% water content it's not particularly nutritious.
    The tuna would also make him smelly- it's as strong coming out as going in!

I've always kept kittens on junior food til one year...

Advertisement