Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco offer - if priced wrong its free?

• 09-02-2007 1:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Just wondering can anyone shed some light on this, a m8 of mine told me there that if tesco have an item displayed for a certain price and you take it to the till and it comes up dearer it is then free???

do dunnes do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i got Spiderman on dvd for free in tescos due to that policy
    not sure of anywhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

tesco do it publicily dunnes dont

the only thing is they will fight it with you so it has to be a blatant mistake you cannot claim a price where the description of the product is either a different size product or a totally different product altogether

sounds silly but some customers think that because eg. lyons red 80's have been pushed over the label saying lyons green 80's,for whatever reason,they can have them at the green label price which is cheaper.

They cant. the description and size must match the product

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't know about Dunnes but I know Superquinn has that policy. Staff are told not to give it unless the customer asks though. I'd imagine most places are the same, it's a reluctant policy, just something to stick on the wall - in very small print - that makes them look good. Most customers don't know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭DubDani

Dunnes has the same policy. but if you buy several pieces of the same item then they will give you only the first one free, and for the other ones they will return the difference.

Have gotten loads of Ben and Jerry Tubs for free, as they alsways seem to screw up the prices on them. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

I don't know about Dunnes but I know Superquinn has that policy. Staff are told not to give it unless the customer asks though. I'd imagine most places are the same, it's a reluctant policy, just something to stick on the wall - in very small print - that makes them look good. Most customers don't know about it.

Superquinn had that policy until they were bought out. I got a pack of Kit-Kats which had a sterling price of 99p and they were scanning in at 1.49c, i said they should only be 99c, then said they should actually be free as they are priced wrong. they finally gave them for free but after a lot of complaining,
    and then they didn't even pack them in my bag.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tescos do it but as said they can debate it sometimes. There is a UK website just about bargains and there is an actual ongoing thread with people just listing incorrect prices so people go in and fill up on stuff to get it free!.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=330596
    That forum is good for online vouchers too

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Noelie wrote:
    Superquinn had that policy until they were bought out.

They still have it, I saw a (very small) sign only last week. But like I said staff aren't encouraged to enforce it - actually unless they've read the sign themselves they're unlikely to even know about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

Noelie wrote:
    Superquinn had that policy until they were bought out. I got a pack of Kit-Kats which had a sterling price of 99p and they were scanning in at 1.49c, i said they should only be 99c, then said they should actually be free as they are priced wrong. they finally gave them for free but after a lot of complaining,
    and then they didn't even pack them in my bag.:rolleyes:

I was in Tesco Clarehall the other day and they had the policy on a big poster just behind most of the tills.

As for the Superquinn prices, 99p is not the same as 99c the exchange rate is around 1.5 so the Kit-kats probably should have been 1.49

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Smoggy

I know Dunnes Clondalkin do if it's priced wrong it's free. I never use to check my receipt until one day I found that 4/5 items were mis priced. So now I always check and make a point to get it free..... maybe one day they will sort thier act out !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭ciano1

well....time to change the price tags on tescos big tellys ;););)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

there was a big thing on www.pspvideo9.com forums last year about this.
    im assume you all know of the on -the-wall-scanners?
    well the psp game prices[all of them]were comming up different than on the shelfs ,so if you bought them, and then told manager,you got money back,but got to keep games

didnt work in my tesco though............

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Might I suggest that we start a Temp Sticky to judge the interest in people giving to other their Tesco Misprices so we can all benefit... on the MSE site their were instances of people getting TV`s for free... and after its Tesco `s stated policy we would only be helping them to police themselves more effectivly ...if it was popular then we could extend it to Superquinn and dunnes stores....any thoughts??? what do the mods think perhaps someone could pm them to chip in their 2 cents...
    regards
    Ed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i was buying a bottle of gin a while ago in tesco clarehall, it was priced on the shelf at €19.95 but scanned at 21.95, so i got it free, the manageress was very friendly about and didnt challenge me once

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Technically if they advertise for a certain price...eg.dvd for €5 but the actual price is €10...they can refuse your offer of the €5...they are not obliged to accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

cabla wrote:
    Technically if they advertise for a certain price...eg.dvd for €5 but the actual price is €10...they can refuse your offer of the €5...they are not obliged to accept it.
    ...and face court if you report them for displaying the wrong price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Is the price displayed not just an invitation to buy? Or is it different for supermarkets.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

cabla wrote:

thats incorrect. Its illegal if not to display the correct price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

no
    its illigeal to advertise wrong prices
    shop window prices are only an invitation to start bidding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭paddyc

folks was wondering about complaining about prices that are wrong

the centra shop near me regularly charges more than it supposed to be it might only be 5c or so but still it drives me mad... but i'm too cowardly to complain to them... is there any goverment pricing standards office i could get onto? any roads good thread

paddy

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

shop window prices are only an invitation to start bidding

and wheres that in the legislation?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

faceman wrote:
    and wheres that in the legislation?

contract law, invitation to treat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I know people who would check crates of beer on the in-store scanners until they found one that was mispriced and then fill up their trolley with a few crates and get them all for free.

I'm sure Tesco have brought in a 1-item only clause on this policy by now though .

chump wrote:
    contract law, invitation to treat

yes that differs tho from cabla's example of the price label (SEL) on the shelf displaying €5 put the till saying €10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Tails142

geez Faceman do you just go around to threads asking where it is in the legislation? =P Think I answered you in a DIT thread earlier about something similar...

The law is that a shop must display the correct price of an item at point of sale, so if you have a tin of peas on a shelf for sale, you must show the price, if you have an incorrect price on the SEL (Shelf Edge Label) you're liable for prosecution.

This is different to the invitation to treat that comes under contract law which applies to advertising as opposed to the statute of showing a price beside an item for sale.

Several businesses have been brought to court recently and had to pay a few thousand in fines for breach of this.

Tails142 wrote:
    geez Faceman do you just go around to threads asking where it is in the legislation? =P Think I answered you in a DIT thread earlier about something similar...

Usually, when someone posts mistakes! Altho i cant take credit for the DIT thread, wasnt me! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

The law is that a shop must display the correct price of an item at point of sale, so if you have a tin of peas on a shelf for sale, you must show the price, if you have an incorrect price on the SEL (Shelf Edge Label) you're liable for prosecution.

This is different to the invitation to treat that comes under contract law which applies to advertising as opposed to the statute of showing a price beside an item for sale.

This is incorrect. Price tag is only an "invitation to treat" and that included shelf edge pricing

The actual law on this is: (taken From ODCA)

"A price on a shelf edge label was less than price showing on the till when the product is scanned. Does the consumer have a right to buy the product at the lower price?

This may be a misleading price indication and details should be taken for passing to Enforcement Area. However, the consumer does not have an automatic right to the product at the lower price. A price indication on a product is what's called an "invitation to treat"; If the consumer is advised of the correct price before purchasing, they are not entitled to the goods at the lower price. In this case, the consumer has a choice of rejecting the goods and not buying them, or, accepting the higher price and making the purchase.

If the consumer was not informed of the correct price before purchasing, they may be entitled to some form of redress from the shop for having been misled. But, if the shop refuses, as well as this Office following up on the matter, the consumer could consider taking the matter further thorough the shop's Head Office (if it is a member of a chain), or, through the Small Claims Court. "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

faceman wrote:
    thats incorrect. Its illegal if not to display the correct price.

im prety sure its ok...you should go look it up.It doesnt effect your statutory rights. im no expert now.i may have given a poor example but ye...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭sasser

the centra shop near me regularly charges more than it supposed to be it might only be 5c or so but still it drives me mad... but i'm too cowardly to complain to them... is there any goverment pricing standards office i could get onto? any roads good thread

also from ODCA, this is if you were not informed, presale, of the item.

"Product is priced at 90 cent on a shelf edge label. When the receipt is checked it shows that they have been charged 95 cent?

If the price charged is higher than the price that was indicated, then this is a misleading price indication under The Consumer Information Act. Please contact the Office with details for investigation. "

You would defo have a case to complain there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭gonker

I have gotten dvds and stuff from tesco. Make sure you pay for the items first then go up to the customer service desk and complain. There is never any problem. I saw a couple get a few crates of beer one day free, I have never seen a manager run so fast down to the off licence to change a price tag before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭chasm

I was in Tesco in Roscommon tonight, and was overcharged on 2 items. I went to customer sevices and pointed it out to them. The assistant asked another member of staff what she had to do and then attempted to refund me the difference between what i was charged and what i paid. I stated the Tesco store policy to her, in that i should be refunded the money i was charged and given the items for free, to which she replied "Yes i can do it that way for you if that is what you want.." Then, as she was walking away she muttered something about having to do it that way unless the customer specifically asks for that option!
    So , in other words if you are not aware of the policy they will not abide by it.

I have shopped in alot of tesco stores in Ireland and the England and this is the first time ive ever been told that (Not that ive been overcharged in all of them though)
    Slightly off topic, I wonder if tesco have any plans to bring in their car trolleys over here- They are a trolley with what i can only describe as a kids bumble car on the front. They are great for parents with kids as they keep them occupied while doing the shopping.

Advertisement