Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby bearded dragons

• 28-07-2009 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi all, would really appreciate any advice!
    We got two baby beardies 2 days ago and we're having problems getting one of them to eat... He's the littler guy and just doesn't seem interested in crickets! He's only had 3 today, and that took a lot of work! When the crickets are in with him he spends most of the time looking at his reflection in the glass, and pretty much ignores them when they're at his feet.
    Our other beardie is a bit bigger and seems to be eating better, has had about 15 crickets today, but I'm still concerned he's not eating enough....
    Help! We really want to make sure they're happy & healthy!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

try baby locust, just dont fall into the trap i did where they will only eat locust and not crickets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Vinnie K

dstaff wrote: »
    Hi all, would really appreciate any advice!
    We got two baby beardies 2 days ago and we're having problems getting one of them to eat... He's the littler guy and just doesn't seem interested in crickets! He's only had 3 today, and that took a lot of work! When the crickets are in with him he spends most of the time looking at his reflection in the glass, and pretty much ignores them when they're at his feet.
    Our other beardie is a bit bigger and seems to be eating better, has had about 15 crickets today, but I'm still concerned he's not eating enough....
    Help! We really want to make sure they're happy & healthy!

Could be a dominince issue, normally wouldnt happen at a young age but its not uncommon, if its 2 males you got you'll have to seperate them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dstaff

We separated them to feed them just in case the bigger one was being dominant but the smaller one just won't show any interest in the crickets.... Any advice on the correct veg to feed..?

Thanks for the help! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭aboutimeilogin!

what set-up do you have and what size are the crickets?
    you should offer veg first too. do you use a timer switch for
    the photoperiod. take the greedy one out for a bit and feed the small one first. getting two is not always a good idea and can lead to huge problems.

we've been giving smaller crickets to the smaller guy, using the rule that the cricket shouldn't be any bigger than the space between his eyes.... we have them in a small terrarium to start 45cm square, will invest in a bigger one as they grow, have a heat lamp and uv light, but no timer as yet. we've given them carrots and apples so far, i know carrots are just as a treat, they don't really eat them either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭cos!!

if it has only been 2 days i wouldnt worry to much for now!the fact that hes eating at all after such short time is good!some find moving very srtessful and will go off food totally for a little bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

We feed bugs every other day.

Do a mixed salad on the days you do not feed crickets or locusts. Ours get grated parsnip, courgette & some grated carrot - then mixed salad leaves such as wild rocket, watercress, some lettuce but not much. They get nasturtiums that we grow in the garden at the moment - both leaves & flowers. Some fruit such as apricots & raspberries & some peppers (sweet peppers) to get a beardie to start eating salad add some wax worms or mealworms to the salad - they will eat the bugs & get some salad too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭magenta73

This is Magenta73's daughter.

The problem with newborn beardie's is that they are extremely moody. He couldn't be eating because he's still only small and you only got him, he's still only getting used to his new home. Like people, they have different personalities. The one that's eating could be completely at ease all the time, and the other just jumpy etc..

Just wait and let him settle down for a few days. That should do it, and the crickets hide in the tank at nighttime. He could wake up in the middle of the night for a midnight snack! My beardie does that, and hardly eats in the day.

And if that doesn't work, it could be a dominance issue. The bigger is saying, this is my territory I eat first and you have whats left. The little one could feel intimidated. If in a week or so he doesn't eat, feed them separately. Like, take the bigger one from the tank and feed the little one in the tank and vice versa.

And if that don't work, he could could have mites or worms, which is completly normall for baby beardie's, just bring him to a vet and get him checked over and he'll be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭lalee17

Try really small mealworms that have just molted (they're white). They won't be able to resist!:)

Thanks so much to everyone for all the advice!

The good news is that the little one, now called Jazz, finally showed interest in the crickets last night and ate 3!! and he ate another one this morning! he's also eating a bit of mixed veg so i'm delighted!!

The bigger guy, Grimlock, is eating like a horse, but we're thinking he might be just a small bit older so that bit more advanced!

Anyways, I think they're relaxing a bit, they even fell asleep when we turned off the lights last night, and you're right, it seems they do need to settle into their new home, so panic over!

:) Thanks again to everyone!

• Advertisement
Advertisement