Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat n Kitten in back garden...

• 02-07-2009 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

Few days ago i saw a cat (healthy enough looking) bringing a wee black kitten through our garden. Now they are both living at the end of our garden and i dont know whether to leave them alone or try and catch them to bring to animal welfare. She came out yesterday evening and was drinking water from a puddle so i left out a bowl of water but not food because i'm not sure if she's feral or just a neighbours cat who decided to move for a while (we're new to d area). What should i do? Any advice is much appreciated, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Call around your neighbours and see if anyone owns her and her kitten. If you can catch her and the kitten and hold onto them for a couple of days, put posters up.

If nobody claims them, either try to rehome them or surrender them to a pound or shelter. Don't leave them the way they are - the mother will come on heat and have another within the next five months, and if the kitten is female she'll do the same - and then you'll have two cats and maybe eight kittens in your back garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Narsil

Thanks a mill Minesajackdaniels, i'll try that . Hopefully someone owns her and can take her back,poor thing :(. Will have to leave her outside for another few days though cause my indoors cat wouldn't take kindly to them! Might try and catch her at d weekend then if no-one claims her .
    Thanks for d info and i'll try and update d situation in a few days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Hey,we had a situation like this before,and called the ISPCA.they told me that once the mother cat knew that someone had found her hiding place or nest or whatever,they'd move on,which they did!Apparently,when they have kittens they move them around a good few times,for safety I guess

Hi Sesudra. Thanks for the info but when i initially heard d kitten meowing i went over to where they were hiding and d mum growled at me but she's still there and hasn't moved yet! Going to knock on some doors tonight and see waht happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭trustno1

I'll be interested to see what the I.S.P.C.A. will have to say if you do have to contact them.. we called them in relation to a feral cat who had kittens down by a river nearby.. thought that it might be best for them to be caught while the kittens were young and may have had a chance to become pets. They didn't want to know and the cat and kittens were left there - there are now loads of cats who are all going to interbreed and it will become a much bigger problem!.. :mad: Good luck with the cat and kitten.. hopefully she will have an owner.. :)

• Advertisement

Ah thats terrible Trustno1. I suppose animal places are inundated with people ringing which i can understand, but still. If shes feral i'll try and catch her, neuter her and maybe even get to keep d kitten (OH and resident kitty cat would b delighted i'm sure ;))! Would obviously b so much easier if someone ownes her though!

Sorry to re-open this thread but i need some more advice please:o
    So a few weeks ago the mum n kittens disappeared from the garden and i didnt know what happened to them.Asked my neighbour about the cats of the area and she didnt seem to know what i was talking about!Said she's hardly seem cats around.I think it's just from being a cat lover i'm noticing them!!So i dont think anyone owns them
    Problem now is last night the mom and her brood of 6 strong kittens came back:rolleyes:!!!
    Is it best to try and grab the kittens now a few at a time and then get the mom neutered in a week or few or what? The kittens are bigger and faster than before and disappear behind the fence before i know it so catching them will b hard. Also would the kittens be too wild or would they adjust to a home?
    I know it will b hard to do this them too but i'd like to try and help them all
    Apologies for the long message and thanks in advance:)

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Gordon Gekko

Are you in Dublin? The DSPCA will usually lend you a cat trap which you can use to catch the kittens and/or mum. Obviously don't take mum away if there are any kittens still left there. The trap is the way to go with ferals as catching them without it is nigh on impossible.

The kittens will adapt surprisingly well and very quickly to being in a domestic situation - as, more than likely, will mum.

No Gordon i'm in Limerick and previously i had booked a cat trap from Animal Welfare but when she disappeared i didnt need it. Now to reappear with not one but 6 kittens:rolleyes:!I'll try and get the trap now but if i catch the mum will the kittens follow her meows or just go to ground?Then i'm worried bout accidentally catching a nosy kitten in the trap,freaking them all out and mummy taking them somewhere else
    Oh this is headwrecking!Poor little mites

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

You should try to contact Limerick Animal Welfare for advice. They probably won't be able to take the kittens but could advise on trapping, neutering and releasing. Its vital they all get spayed/neutered or pretty soon there are going to be a hell of a lot more cats around if this lot begin to breed themselves. Good luck and well done for taking an interest where many will just turn their backs.

• Advertisement

Thanks Vel:)
    I'll do that alright. Will definitely get mommy neutered and just hope that i can get the kittens. They were so cute last night playing on our decking!Our indoors cat was calling and chirping at them through the glass trying to talk to them!

Advertisement