Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Chemist only sells on prescription??

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭mountai

monkey8 wrote: »
    you would not get charged a prescription charge for this even though he asked you to produce a prescription.

I would assume (even though you will probably deny this!) that you have asked for solpadiene many times from this pharmacy and he has now worried that you are over using or abusing them so has asked you to produce a prescription from your doctor.

Never visited his Shop before and never will again. So If he only sells "On Prescription" What does he do with the" Prescription Money"??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭rozeboosje

You clearly have absolutely no idea what pharmacists do "behind their counter".

Ooh. Careful. The mods here don't take too kindly to personal attacks. I've dealt with enough pharmacists to know that they're just as human as anybody else. Some of them treat other adults as adults, others think they're everybody's nanny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

rozeboosje wrote: »
    Having said all that, maybe it's easier to just go and get the prescription. As you state you're in your mid-60s there are plenty of perfectly valid reasons why you might need to take a drug such as Solpadeine, be it chronic headaches, arthritis or whatnot. I'm in my late 40s, I have club feet and by now I can have painful feet for days at a stretch. I know it's mildly arthritic in nature, and that, while it can be quite painful at times, it's not serious enough to warrant more drastic intervention. So I go get Solpadeine or Nurofen+ when I need it and I take it as long as it takes for things to settle down. But if things got any worse I don't think my doctor would hesitate to prescribe what I need. So maybe that's the better solution rather than letting a *bleep* of a pharmacist wind you up.

Some day. when your older prehaps, and your health is failing, and your on multiple medications to keep you going - probability tells us that a time will come when a mistake will be made in your doctors surgery. It could be an error in the dosage of one of your medications, an interaction, the prescribing of a wrong medication etc etc the list goes on believe me.

These things happen daily - I see them DAILY

You'll be damn glad of your *bleep* pharmacist then.

I am going to bow out of this argument now. Goodnight.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

mountai wrote: »
    So do they give the prescription charge to charity?

What prescription charge?

You clearly don't understand any of what you're ranting about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

Having said all that, maybe it's easier to just go and get the prescription. As you state you're in your mid-60s there are plenty of perfectly valid reasons why you might need to take a drug such as Solpadeine, be it chronic headaches, arthritis or whatnot. I'm in my late 40s, I have club feet and by now I can have painful feet for days at a stretch. I know it's mildly arthritic in nature, and that, while it can be quite painful at times, it's not serious enough to warrant more drastic intervention. So I go get Solpadeine or Nurofen+ when I need it and I take it as long as it takes for things to settle down. But if things got any worse I don't think my doctor would hesitate to prescribe what I need. So maybe that's the better solution rather than letting a *bleep* of a pharmacist wind you up.

Some day. when your older prehaps, and your health is failing, and your on multiple medications to keep you going - probability tells us that a time will come when a mistake will be made in your doctors surgery. It could be an error in the dosage of one of your medications, an interaction, the prescribing of a wrong medication etc etc the list goes on believe me.

These things happen daily - I see them DAILY

You'll be damn glad of your *bleep* pharmacist then.

I am going to bow out of this argument now. Goodnight.

EDIT: Just so that I am actually contributing to the OPs question

Yes - a pharmacist can decide whether any medication is or is not suitable for you. This is why they go to college for five years - they are trained to treat comment ailments and thus why they can recommend one drug over another. If they deem a drug not suitable for you then they can refuse to give you said drug.

Chances are this particular pharmacist may feel codeine is a strong painkiller and would prefer if people looking for supply sought their doctor for a prescription - the pharmacist would not charge you anything for getting it on prescription as he would still be able to give it to you "over the counter".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭mountai

monkey8 wrote: »
    you have been told that he has the right to do this many times, read the responses more carefully

So we can look forward to the day when we will only be able to get Toothpaste on prescription!!!. So the governing body that "Prescribe and Control Drugs". are a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

Never visited his Shop before and never will again. So If he only sells "On Prescription" What does he do with the" Prescription Money"??

are you trying to wind me up are do you really not understand despite it being explained to you over and over?!

I cannot put it any simpler than this and this is my final attempt to try to explain this to you.

He has asked you to produce a prescription as this OTC counter medicine is subject to rescrictions that other OTC medicines are not subjected to.
    This is his right.
    As it is a restricted OTC medicine you will not be charged a presciption fee despite having to produce a prescription. It will be the same price as if you brought it over the counter without producung the prescription. So your accusations that he is trying to get a prescription fee from you is ridiculous.

I cannot explain that in any simpler terms so if you cannot understand this them I'm out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Nonsense. OTC drugs are considered safe for self-medication. That's why they're OTC. Giving a customer a hard time for their decision to buy such a drug is meddling in somebody else's business.

Yes, they have every right to do so. They have every right to stick their nose into other people's medical business and to "play doctor" from behind their counter, denying a customer a sale because they think they know better. But as a customer I wouldn't tolerate such meddling in my affairs. What's next? Off licence employees demanding a prescription? LOL

I'm sorry but this is moronic beyond belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

You're clearly turning something into a financial issue when it's not. The pharmacist said that he'd only supply Solphadine on "prescription only" as he personally didn't want to supply a highly addictive drug over the counter without good reason. Very few people are going to get a prescription for it when something else will do or they can source it elsewhere. Where's the profit in that? He'd almost certainly have dispensed it over the counter without any prescription fee once a prescription was produced. Most pharmacists do exactly that for over the counter items that doctors include.

The pharmacist is entitled to decide to only supply it when a prescription is involved. You'll find varying policies on it depending on which pharmacy you go. It's a matter of store policy and there's nothing unusual about it. I for one am glad to see codeine products restricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@mountai it's clear that you're not taking anything out of this thread. Closing it at this point.

dudara

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement