Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telephone contract issue

• 15-09-2014 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, first post. (Long time listener, first time caller!)

Just some background to this situation.
    About 3 months ago I contacted Eircom to organise moving a phone line from an old house to a new build for my parents, I don't live there and the bills etc is in their name. Eircom agreed to move the line and they would not charge for the new installation but it meant staying with them for a year. I had no problem with this and new phone line was installed to house.

About a month later, another phone provider company(I'll call it Company A) rang and spoke to my dad. It was their sales team who were trying to sign up my parents to a contract with them.
    As I was away my dad said he wasn't sure and that to ring him back on a decision. He then rang me for advice and I said not to sign up as we were in a contract already due to recent connection
    He agreed and said he would not sign up.

A few weeks later I arrive home for a visit and found a letter welcoming my dad to Company A. I ask him did he not say that we were tied to Eircom for now and unable to move whether we wanted to or not. He said he was told by Company A that they would be no issue moving provider and so signed up.

In the last few day he got a bill from Eircom with an extra charge for switching early.
    I plan to ring both Eircom and Company A but would like any advice in dealing with the issue, based on the fact that my dad was told by the Company A's sales person that moving providers would come at a cost.
    Has anyone had this problem before or are sales phone calls recorded if proof is needed of conversation?
    Note: I have no issues with Eircom at all, and that's why I named them in the post.

Thanks

JohnC

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

Company A clearly is Yourtel.

Your dad just got screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Them telling him it would be no problem is certainly dubious practice but I'm not sure they are actually liable in any way. If they had lied about their own contract terms then they are in trouble, but they simply gave him some bad legal advice relating to his contract with Eircom - it is still his responsibility to make sure he conforms to his terms with Eircom.

If you make a complaint to the new company and make it clear that your father only signed up because he was assured he would get no such fee from Eircom they might credit his bill to that value. I'm not sure they are legally liable here.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

essentially company A took charge of the phone line thus ending the service contract with eircom but you will still need to pay eircom an early cease charge usually the monthly subscription for the life of the contract my advice my advice is

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

sorry got cut off company A haa donr nothing wrong legaly as it's up to the consumer to be aware of their contract so you may have to pay both companies now :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 JohnCreasy

Thanks for the replies so far.

Due to work and not been home I still have to contact the new provider the father signed up to.
    I will ask him what was said but I'm sure he won't remember the whole conversation from a month ago. I know he told them it was a recent connection (with a new number) and installation was free as long as we stuck with Eircom for the year. In whatever way they phrased it he was told that this wasn't going to incur an early break in contract charge.
    This could easily be cleared up if the conversation was recorded as I know they often are.

Also, it may be a case of just grin and bear the cost, about a hundred euro...
    The parents are both in their 60's so wouldn't be familiar with different bundles cost etc.
    I'm probably a bit annoyed too as every few weeks someone in ringing or calling to house to try and get them to change phone, electricity providers etc,.
    @D3P0... no, it's not Yurtel. It's a well known company that I have been with for the 15 years I've had a phone. I'm not tied into a contract so will be moving on.

Anyways, I'll know more when I talk to Company A..

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

JohnCreasy wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies so far.

Due to work and not been home I still have to contact the new provider the father signed up to.
    I will ask him what was said but I'm sure he won't remember the whole conversation from a month ago. I know he told them it was a recent connection (with a new number) and installation was free as long as we stuck with Eircom for the year. In whatever way they phrased it he was told that this wasn't going to incur an early break in contract charge.
    This could easily be cleared up if the conversation was recorded as I know they often are.

Also, it may be a case of just grin and bear the cost, about a hundred euro...
    The parents are both in their 60's so wouldn't be familiar with different bundles cost etc.
    I'm probably a bit annoyed too as every few weeks someone in ringing or calling to house to try and get them to change phone, electricity providers etc,.
    @D3P0... no, it's not Yurtel. It's a well known company that I have been with for the 15 years I've had a phone. I'm not tied into a contract so will be moving on.

Anyways, I'll know more when I talk to Company A..

Thanks

Ask company A to provide proof that you consented to signing up. If they cannot provide this then advise they will have to rectify the situation or you will be forced to take legal action to recoup your own costs.

Advertisement