Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

yourtel - Landline Phone Service

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,724 ✭✭✭893bet

<SNIP> got my dad to sign up yesterday.

Already in a contract with Eircom.

Cancelled via email there and also via post.

Will just burn all their bills if they keep coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MariaV

My parents have been caught out with this - Yourtel sent a piece of a conversation between the telemarketer and my father where he had my dad agreeing to everything. The guy spoke really quickly and there must have been lead up conversations as he knew my father paid his Eircom bills via the post office.

We're at the debt collector threats stage at the moment... parents are very anxious. ComReg are involved but appear to be toothless.

Has anybody had any luck at all in dealing with Yourtel?
    Are the debt collection threats just that or should I prepare my parents for the prospect of a visit?!

Any help or advice at all would be a huge help - thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 14 seanfheargrinn

MariaV wrote: »
    My parents have been caught out with this - Yourtel sent a piece of a conversation between the telemarketer and my father where he had my dad agreeing to everything. The guy spoke really quickly and there must have been lead up conversations as he knew my father paid his Eircom bills via the post office.

We're at the debt collector threats stage at the moment... parents are very anxious. ComReg are involved but appear to be toothless.

Has anybody had any luck at all in dealing with Yourtel?
    Are the debt collection threats just that or should I prepare my parents for the prospect of a visit?!

Any help or advice at all would be a huge help - thank you

Did you ask for the entire transcript recording of the call between yourtel and your father, as per your rights under the Data Protection Act? Read my post on the previous page.
    I would also suggest getting your parent's tel. number removed from the NDD - National Directory Database, so as to stop cold-callers and scamsters. Getting removed from the NDD does not mean going ex-directory, although you can do that instead if you so wish.
    When was the telephone contract done, you should be given a 2 week cooling off period post mid-June 2014, instead of the 1 week they are giving you.

Regarding debt collection, these are only threats. The only person that has legal powers to demand you pay up is a sheriff. He is a court officer who will have a warrant to collect money and goods up to the value of the debt - after a court judgement. Anyone else does not have this power. A debt collector can turn up on your doorstep and demand you pay them money you owe to someone else, but you can tell them to go away and the debt collector would have no choice but to do so.

Yourtel have employed <SNIP> Crosskerrys of Merrion Square to issue demand letters.

A judgement is required BEFORE any debt can be collected. The steps here are 1) Demand Letter 2) Court action to secure judgement 3) Judgement Issued 4) POSSIBLY yourtel may engage sherriff to collect on foot of the judgement.

Not sure how far these <SNIP> Yourtel are willing to go.
    It sounds like Comreg are just another quango.
    Get the full transcript first. Director of Corporate Enforcement, Garda Fraud Office, Consumer Agency, Dept. of Communications are probably the next outlets.

Most of all, do not worry unjustly, for the little people of Ireland must rise up against these <SNIP>, and there appears to be quite a few little people by now.
    Tell your folks to enjoy their Christmas!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

@Posters. Please be more careful in your choice of words, the mods have had to remove some unproven allegations from a number of posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Did you ask for the entire transcript recording of the call between yourtel and your father, as per your rights under the Data Protection Act? Read my post on the previous page.
    When was the telephone contract done, you should be given a 2 week cooling off period post mid-June 2014, instead of the 1 week they are giving you.

Good point and iirc to fall within comregs guidelines for creating phone contracts the user should be informed that they have a cooling off period.

Just because someone said yes to a few questions doesn't make a contract there is a whole process involved.

From askcomregs Guide to phone and broadband contracts and switching
    You can agree over the phone, without signing any forms or other documents.
    No matter how you enter a contract, the provider should tell you what to do if you change your mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 seanfheargrinn

slimjimmc wrote: »
    @Posters. Please be more careful in your choice of words, the mods have had to remove some unproven allegations from a number of posts.

With respect slimjimmc, what part of yourtel pretending that they are linked with Eircom is not <SNIP>. These are not false, ask Comreg. Ask people who have managed to get the entire transcripts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

@seanfheargrinn. You ignored a mod instruction by repeating your allegations only this time in Irish. Do not post in the thread again until you have confirmed you have read the site rules and forum charter.

seanfheargrinn - Thank you for the advice in your post.

I did request (both written and verbal) copies of the contract and received the portion of the recording only... have asked again.

The number was removed from the NDD - would I be right in thinking Eircom willingly sell the information on? Makes you wonder how much detail is handed over seeing that anyone <SNIP> was older...

The cooling off period misinformation is going to be my next try with Yourtel - 2 weeks plus 12 months from the (incorrect / 7 days) date they gave you was my understanding of this.

Really appreciate the information you posted re Debt Collection - the letters, as ye know, are threatening enough. It's good to know there's third party involvement, should it ever come to it, so a form of protocol would have to be followed. My poor father had visions of someone arriving and taking either himself or the telly off, so I can pass on the info which will be a huge relief! So thanks again for that alone!

I have found that some of the bodies weren't too enthused about taking on the cause and to be fair for an elderly person trying to deal with Yourtel alone, this would be very offputting and TBH you would admit defeat and pay up just to get rid of them, so yes I'm all for making a song and dance about this.

I do have to say the Free Legal Advice Centres (FLAC.ie) were very helpful and did give us some very useable information, so this is another option available.

Enjoy the Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭RFOLEY1990

until a regulator says a company isn't legit then the owner of the NDD HAS to give the details over to said "legit" company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 michellemul

well they called my parents house this morning, an Asian sounding male said that they had taken over Eircom services and we were very lucky for the offers they would be providing us with. i said I'm not interested I'm staying with Eircom, he said you don't understand we are taking over their services. i said are you Eircom he said no Eurtell. once again i told him I'm not interested he kept going on, and i ended the call.
    so just for people to be aware they are now saying they have taken over Eircom services when they call.
    the number they called from was 00353 1697163.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,211 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

They have snagged my parents with the same crap as others here - I posted and emailed them 4 months ago to cancel the 'service' they say my father signed up to (which he states categorically he didn't on the phone) and they will only cancel it at the end of next month!

Solicitor time maybe?

Already bought a call blocker, whenever they get a call from a company they will just tap a button and it will record the number and block it in future. It will also block all international incoming numbers! Hopefully will stop so called companies like this shower contacting old age pensioners and hood winking them to sign up for a service they didn't want in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hawksticks

Hi KeRbDoG

Sorry about your trouble.
    I got away from this scumbag company only a few months ago.
    Here's how to do it ring Eircom or your phone company, get them to change your code ( Not your number like a security code Eircom will know) for your home phone that stops yourtell seeing who your calling history and new calls. Eircom will do this no problem as they did for me. This way they cant make up any new bills from the day you do this. They stopped sending us out bills when we did this none since.

I tried everything from pleading with them to paying a few bills!
    THIS IS ALL THAT WORKS.

Best of luck.

Can't believe ComReg has not closed them down yet!

Hi Hawksticks,

Thanks for the info - can't believe all the different knacks you discover in dealing with Yourtel?!
    Never heard of the NDD or your Security Code before, will certainly try the security code and hope that is the end of it.

Involved ComReg, update them regularly but still no end and it's very hard seeing your 80 year old father swing between upset and anger anytime a bill lands...

Delighted to hear you came out best, well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hawksticks

Totally understand my father was in the same boat very tormented by it all. Anyway best of luck let me know how u get on cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tigamber

Same problem here my mother managed to be signed up for a two year contract without even realising she had thought it was an Eircom survey. Have tried everything to get rid of them but no joy and Comreg can only add the details to the case against them.

Tried to ring Eircom about the code on the account but the person I spoke with had no idea what that was would love some more info on it especially since it seems to be the only way to get them to stop sending bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Auld Jim Halpin

I can't believe this rubbish is still going with this company. We were gettings calls on a daily basis and the last call I got I went all out on the guy calling and pointed out that 100 people are posting messages about how they feel they were tricked and feel they were scammed by this company. He said he people don't always tell the truth in the complaints. I asked himn if he heard of Commreg, he had, I said they are running investigations on his company. In short I told him I, or "Mrs Smith" will be NOT be buying anything, said we don't need you information pack so you don't need my address. I said we signed up for removal from NDD since yesterday. And I said "if you call again, when I have asked your twice not to, I will call the police and and will call Commreg and make complaints". He knew he was beat and haven't heard from them since.

Aparently: from Crow1234 post #90
    Based in Germany in a virtual office (made up office space address, no body in it, prob routes the german numbers through a phone setup here.)
    Staff are made up of back-packers, students, short-terms. Prob commision payed on how many vics they can sign up.

Sounds like a fleece 'em while the goings good sorta setup then disappaer onto their next scam after that.

Solutions:
    Sign up to NDD - or tell them you recently have(takes 28 days to come into effect)

Tell them you are not with Eircom (even if you are) - They cant do any business with you then.

Contact Eircom and tell them to change security code as mentioned in previous post(Hawksticks Post #103)

Obtain recordings and written texts from Yourtel to verify if contract was establshed or not.(although how can we prove the recording or texts have not been altered??)

Ignore debt collector letters - thats just terrorism IMO.

Contact Commreg with details of your call etc, more info to them the better, officially ask for this to be raised, keep email record

Report to local Gardai station and obtain Incident Number or Pulse Number - this gives the appearance of your seriousness

Record Yourtel calls if you can, some phones have the function built in, or as I do, put the house phone on speaker phone and use your smart phone to record conversation

Speak to FLAC - Free Legal Advise Centres flac.ie

For me, there was many calls that I would answer and the phone would go dead, similiar times for two days and the third day I let the phone ring a few extra rings then answered in my best "Old Dear" voice. They answered to that and started the usual spiel.

This tells me that they are intentionally targeting the elderly and vulnerable and that really grinds my gears. They know the bills and debt collectors letters will have a strong psycological effect on these people and are most likely to pay their blood money out of fear.

My guess is we need to hammer Commreg with this to get any action. The more information we can provide the better. I'd say to keep all notes,dates,times etc for calls. Id also like to hear from people here what the monetary amounts involved are like. Is it monthly bill, is it for subsciption fees, call fees or both. What is timeframe from the signup call to first bill to debtors letters??

I did email Commreg last weeek for updates on their investigation but she said she couldnt give any info
    on an ongoing investigation. I emailed back to ask when they thought investigation would be complete. No answer yet but will update here when I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Not had a call in a while that I could be 100% sure were these guys but did get calls from "Eircom" offering me €5 off my line rental if I signed up for 6 months. Anyone know if this was actually Eircom on not?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tigamber

The bills my mother is receiving are anywhere between €14 and €25 a month. They also failed to send her a number of bills and then threaten the solicitor on her.

She fully paid every bill she got from Yourtel receipts to prove it! When I rang to check what was outstanding Yourtel blamed An Post for not delivering the outstanding ones! We never have a problem with Post in our area and she managed to get the bills she paid to her address. They now have added more late charges onto her account and a reconnection fee.

All logged with Comreg again! Seems even if you are paying bills to them they will still look to get extra from you somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Jenna Sweet Shipyard

my3cents wrote: »
    Not had a call in a while that I could be 100% sure were these guys but did get calls from "Eircom" offering me €5 off my line rental if I signed up for 6 months. Anyone know if this was actually Eircom on not?

Yes, that's eircom alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 The Hurricane

My dad got caught by this crowd and even though my brother wrote to them and cancelled they said it was not within the cooling off period of 14 days which its clearly was. Here is the most disturbing part he has ignored the bills and refused to pay them and yourtel has blocked outgoing calls on him and Eircom are totally unable to help him . They eircom say that at some point in these dodgy initial phone calls yourtel must have had his Eircom account number as they could not switch over without this. My dad is 100 adamant he never gave them this to them and tehy didnt have it. Anyone else been blocked for our going calls. Yourtel a disgraceful company preying on unsuspecting decent people. Zamano are the same and still at it complained to comreg got refund but when will com reg stop investigating and actually shut these <SNIP> companies down ?

Anyone know how to get the landline unblocked? Eircom cannot or don't want to help disturbing they cant cant help feeling they are connected to this fiasco somehow.

• Advertisement

Hi Hurricane,

Just had all this today with Eircom & ComReg - was your father subject to lead up calls? Yourtel made numerous calls to my parents prior to taking over their landline. My undersrtanding of what happend is they purported to be Eircom and asked the parents to confirm their Eircom account number. Following that they again called and got my dad to say yes to a barrage of questions and this according to Yourtel constitutes a verbal agreement. Yourtel then contacted Eircom and Eircom signed my parents over no questions asked because, as I was informed by ComReg, Eircom must treat any request by another telecoms provider as legit?!

Have you asked Eircom to sign your father back to them again? I did this and my parents are unable to make outgoing calls until the account is ported back to Eircom which I'm told can take up to 48 hours.

Sorry your dad was caught too

Hi Auld Jim Halpin,

Do you know what the correct term for the security code is? I called Eircom, who had no idea what I was asking for - they did advise me to port back to Eircom which would at least stop Yourtel from issuing further bills, so I signed the parents back.

Involved ComReg when this began and keep asking for updates but all I get is a standard "it's ongoing" response...
    I also let Age Action in my area know in the hopes they may go about highlighting it, given those caught were older.

Can't believe nothing is being done about this shower?!?!

Thanks for the advice / updates in your post

Hi Hawsticks,

Thanks for the good wishes - called Eircom and they claimed never to have heard of the security code?!
    They told me that signing back to Eircom would stop Yourtel seeing the call info and therefore stop any further bills issuing.

Nothing's happened since! Will keep you posted

MariaV wrote: »
    Hi Auld Jim Halpin,

Do you know what the correct term for the security code is? I called Eircom, who had no idea what I was asking for - they did advise me to port back to Eircom which would at least stop Yourtel from issuing further bills, so I signed the parents back.

Involved ComReg when this began and keep asking for updates but all I get is a standard "it's ongoing" response...
    I also let Age Action in my area know in the hopes they may go about highlighting it, given those caught were older.

Can't believe nothing is being done about this shower?!?!

Thanks for the advice / updates in your post

Hi MariaV,

Im afraid I don't know what the "security code" is as refered to by Hawsticks. Maybe Hawsticks might come back on and elaborate. You did say you have "ported" back to Eircom and maybe this is the process that Hawsticks is refering to.

I have to say I'm amazed that this shower is able to carry on like this. What I mean is that its ridiculous that a company can initiate a contract over the phone and its legally binding!!!!! That sounds stupid to me and surely leads to more disputed contracts than actually legit ones. In essence a company that sells cars could ring my friends house. He is gone to the shops to get milk and I take the call. I say I am him and YES I would like to buy the car they are offering. Car is delivered next week and my friend has to pay because they have a recorded phone conversation of "him" saying yes. WTF!

Or what if they start targeting newly arrived immigrants into the country who have poor english and just keep saying "yes" because they dont fully understand? Seems a bit lax to me with regards to "legally binding contracts"

When Yourtel rang here they did seem to do it in a series of calls. Info gathering at first, and not really selling anything at first. Trying to establish if we were with Eircom and then asking for postal address so they could send out "information pack".They also knew my Mams name which could have come from some other mailing list that they bought.

This is the parent company, text in German, maybe any German speakers can have a
    look for any clues.
    primaholding.de/tochterunternehmen/

A report from Comreg Dec 2014 relating to National Directory Database abuses by Yourtel.
    comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg14137.pdf

Primacall - a Primaholding company

Item on complaints against Primacall for cold calling practices in Austria
    telecompaper.com/news/court-upholds-complaint-against-primacall-for-cold-calling--918640

In Switzerland - Primacall
    telecompaper.com/news/primacall-agrees-to-respect-do-not-call-list--1039922

Anyone translate these from German and give the general gist of the posts.

Go to ie.trustpilot.com/
    and search for primacall.de

A comment on Primastrom - you guessed it!
    mywot.com/en/scorecard/primastrom.de

From askaboutmoney site
    askaboutmoney.com/threads/youtel-threatening-letter.188831/

solocheck.ie/Irish-Company/Yourtel-Limited-528267

There is a Yourtel in the UK
    yourtel.co.uk/

and also a Yourtel America Inc (sister comapny Terracom)

I cant say they have connections to "our" Yourtel as there is not information to connect the two. Yourtel America and Terracom have some stories relating to poor data protection practices and dodgy phone handsets but I repeat NO connection as far as I can see

independent.ie/business/technology/comreg-threatens-yourtel-with-court-action-over-alleged-spam-phone-calls-30901913.html

• Advertisement

These sites will leave no-one in any doubt as to what is going on here.Skip to the last link for the most obvious connection to what is happening here in Ireland.
    Again I ask for a German speaker to look over this and any other German texts related to Yourtel and Primaholdings and maybe they will see further information or solutions that I cannot see.

Commreg and Office of Director of Corporate Enforcement SHAME ON YOU. This is what I discovered via a Google search in 3/4 hours. Why can't you lot do this. Quangos have this country bled dry and the sooner we are rid of them the better.
    Commreg have been "investigating" since January 2014. Thats 13 months ye lazy slackers. I asked them for ETA on investigation completion and all they said was they cant comment until investigation is complete. What a cop out. Intentional dragging it out so it looks like they are doing something.

This issue causes terrible pyschological suffering and stress to our elderly and retired citizens and in some cases leads to sickness and death. I repeat SHAME ON YOU Commreg and ODCE. Take a good long look at what you do for a "living" and decide to be part of the solution or go elsewhere.

Sorry everyone about having to cut and paste these links but I cant post actual links. You will also have to put them through Google Translate yourselves as I couldnt post those links with the http in them.

translate.google.ie/

heulnicht.blogspot.ie/2011/07/warnung-vor-der-firma-primacall-in.html

ktnv1.orf.at/stories/526460

verein-vpt.at/index.php/AT/27_27/News.html?pg=25&detail=14

heulnicht.blogspot.ie/2011/06/warnung-vor-der-firma-primacall-in.html

Advertisement