Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ordered iPhone payment taken but order cancelled

• 18-09-2014 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭

So I ordered a phone on Apple.ie today. Clicked confirm but nothing happened (spinning icon) so open live chat told agent and he said close window and order it again. Did this and it passed checkout/went through. Checked tracking order cancelled. Live chat agent told me to try order again and my card was declined so I suspect the first order i made took the money but the order failed. How do I go about getting a refund from BOI?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's probably a temporary hold on your card, which will drop off after a while. Ring Credit Card services at Bank of Ireland to see what they say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Depending who your ordered with will make a difference to how quick the stop is taken off your money. Three iirc somehow manage to put a hold on your money for 10 working days so it can be 2 weeks before you see your money again if you have ordered with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

my3cents wrote: »
    Depending who your ordered with will make a difference to how quick the stop is taken off your money. Three iirc somehow manage to put a hold on your money for 10 working days so it can be 2 weeks before you see your money again if you have ordered with them.

Apple.ie thankfully. Customer care offered to call me back to try sort it in the next 48 hours. Checking the bank tomorrow. My dads debit card (thanks to a little ****** of a puppy eating my card the other day lol) he ain't registered for 365 so got to go into ye olde atm machine in the morning to see was the money taken. In a couple of days the iPhone 5s will no longer be sold so hopefully Apple/BOI will sort it before then and I don't want an iPhone 6 I have a Note 3 and a S5 atm and they are giants in my pockets I want a much smaller smart phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Chris___ wrote: »
    Apple.ie thankfully. Customer care offered to call me back to try sort it in the next 48 hours. Checking the bank tomorrow. My dads debit card (thanks to a little ****** of a puppy eating my card the other day lol) he ain't registered for 365 so got to go into ye olde atm machine in the morning to see was the money taken. In a couple of days the iPhone 5s will no longer be sold so hopefully Apple/BOI will sort it before then and I don't want an iPhone 6 I have a Note 3 and a S5 atm and they are giants in my pockets I want a much smaller smart phone.

The 5S/5C will still be on sale for a long time to come, just like now you can still buy the 4S.

They will probably discount the 5 when the 6 is available.

colm_c wrote: »
    The 5S/5C will still be on sale for a long time to come, just like now you can still buy the 4S.

They will probably discount the 5 when the 6 is available.

When the iPhone 4s came out they stopped selling the iPhone 4.

iPhone 5 came out they resumed selling the iPhone 4 8gb version.

iPhone 5s came out they stopped selling the iPhone 5 and resumed selling the iPhone 4s 8gb version

iPhone 6 coming out it's likely the iPhone 5 will be relaunched and sold in a 8gb version to compete with the likes of the S4 €399-450 price range. Or they could just keep the 5c on sale to compete with the likes of the s4 price range

• Advertisement

Yes Apple charged for the first transaction that DIDN'T go through. Customer care was next to ****ing useless no solution even though i offered to fax them proof of the transaction. So i'm €599 down and BOI say it could take up to 45 days for a refund. Small claims court I guess

Yes Apple charged for the first transaction that DIDN'T go through. Customer care was next to ****ing useless no solution even though i offered to fax them proof of the transaction. So i'm €599 down and BOI say it could take up to 45 days for a refund. Small claims court I guess

Let the bank sort it Small Claims won't be interested until you have exhausted all the other methods including waiting for the bank to sort it and making a formal complaint to apple.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

my3cents wrote: »
    Let the bank sort it Small Claims won't be interested until you have exhausted all the other methods including waiting for the bank to sort it and making a formal complaint to apple.

Also, if it is a payment being held on the account then its nothing that Small Claims will get involved with

Cabaal wrote: »
    Also, if it is a payment being held on the account then its nothing that Small Claims will get involved with

It's not on any type of hold according to BOI. It was the first transaction (the one that timed out for some reason) that the money was taken from. Apple live chat advised me to reorder it again and assured me my card wouldn't be charged for the first transaction. But they did. BOI said it's not their end it's Apple. Should have just waited for the Note 4 to come out tbh. Will never purchase from Apple again. Central bank needs to bring in new rules to stamp out bull**** like this and protect consumers.

Tesco will be sending my replacement credit card out in the post from now on I will only use it. Similar situation couple of months ago. Tesco instantly did a charge back few days later the money was back on my account. BOI staff on the ground were as helpful as they could be to be fair.

Again no call back from Apple. What a joke. Was promised a call back/solution within 24hrs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭PeterJC!

When the iPhone 4s came out they stopped selling the iPhone 4.

iPhone 5 came out they resumed selling the iPhone 4 8gb version.

iPhone 5s came out they stopped selling the iPhone 5 and resumed selling the iPhone 4s 8gb version

iPhone 6 coming out it's likely the iPhone 5 will be relaunched and sold in a 8gb version to compete with the likes of the S4 €399-450 price range. Or they could just keep the 5c on sale to compete with the likes of the s4 price range

5S and 5C will both still be sold.

PeterJC! wrote: »
    5S and 5C will both still be sold.

I have lost interest in it. All I want is my money back now and still no sign of my refund today. Looks like a long battle ahead. Keeping up receipts the lot in case it goes to SCC. I can't drive anymore due to illness so taxi into town out of town €12 per journey. loss of earnings, food and beverages whilst waiting for the bank trying to sort this mess, time, 1850 call charges its all adding up. Plus loss of service the loss of the use of a mobile phone will all have to be reimbursed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I have lost interest in it. All I want is my money back now and still no sign of my refund today. Looks like a long battle ahead. Keeping up receipts the lot in case it goes to SCC. I can't drive anymore due to illness so taxi into town out of town €12 per journey. loss of earnings, food and beverages, time, 1850 call charges its all adding up. Plus loss of service the loss of the use of a mobile phone will all have to be reimbursed.

Don't expect that because it's unlikely to happen. None of those are unavoidable expenses caused by the hold on your funds.

I have lost interest in it. All I want is my money back now and still no sign of my refund today. Looks like a long battle ahead. Keeping up receipts the lot in case it goes to SCC. I can't drive anymore due to illness so taxi into town out of town €12 per journey. loss of earnings, food and beverages, time, 1850 call charges its all adding up. Plus loss of service the loss of the use of a mobile phone will all have to be reimbursed.

If you want more than the amount you paid to apple back then the SCC can't/won't help you. The SCC won't grant anything more than the actual amount you paid you can't even claim the SCC fee back if you win. The point is its a cheap(ish) and simple solution for consumer issues like yours with no bells or whistles.

athtrasna wrote: »
    Don't expect that because it's unlikely to happen. None of those are unavoidable expenses caused by the hold on your funds.

I was successful before with HSE they reimbursed 100% of the costs and yes they are unavoidable. Apple insisted it was my fault that i must have had insufficient funds that wasn't the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Taxis, food, drink, 11850 and loss of earnings are all totally avoidable.

Online banking would have avoided the need to go into town, it's not Apple's fault you didn't have that. 11850, well you clearly have Internet access so there's no need to use directory enquiries. Loss of earnings you'd need to prove and I can't see how you'd do that.

I was successful before with HSE they reimbursed 100% of the costs and yes they are unavoidable. Apple insisted it was my fault that i must have had insufficient funds that wasn't the case.

You can get a solicitor to argue whatever case you want or argue it with apple yourself but if you go the SCC route all you will get back is the amount you paid for the item less the €25 (ish) court fee.

Quite suspicious (using Yahoo mail) the other day the order acknowledgment ended up in the trash and I moved it back to the inbox and now its gone again

Oh I print everything so have a copy of it and other stuff but still no idea how the email was deleted

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

It's not on any type of hold according to BOI. It was the first transaction (the one that timed out for some reason) that the money was taken from. Apple live chat advised me to reorder it again and assured me my card wouldn't be charged for the first transaction.

I work for BOI, that image that you've put up of the mini statement shows what's referred to as a 'shadow' transaction and it can still disappear from the system, although it can take up to 10 working days. The reason I know this is because it says "18SEP DEBIT CARD" if it was a 'completed' transaction it would say "POS18SEP APPLE" (or whatever apple's online store name is).

What the branch are saying is correct in that it's not an error on the BOI end, nor is it something that they're able to rectify. However, they will not be able to do a chargeback until the transaction shows up as 'posted' ie the actual store name is visible. This type of thing only started to become an issue when the point of sale transactions went 'live' in the last few years, and Visa Debit cards were introduced.

Back in the days of Laser, what would happen is you'd go in to the shop (or online) and you'd make your purchase, put your card in the little machine dealie and off you'd go. At the end of the day when they're shutting up the shop, they have to 'batch' the card and pin machine. Basically what this would do was tell the bank who spent what and their accounts would be debited accordingly.

A rough description of what would happen would be you go in to the shop, and you want to buy goods for €20. You go up to the till and put in your card and pin, the machine then does it's thing and all going well, it would be approved and you get your receipt.

Now what happened back with Laser was that the machine would basically ask the bank did the person have €20 in their account, and if the bank said they did, then the transaction would be approved, but it would be several days before the information made it's way through to the bank that the transaction had been completed. Once that info was received by the bank, then your account was debited, however this would usually be about a week later (more if the shop was a bit inconsistent with 'batching' their card and pin machine).

If a situation arose like in your case, where the machine timed out or froze mid transaction, it wouldn't matter, because by the time the transaction hit your account, the failed transaction would have already fallen off the system, so you'd be none the wiser. This system was problematic because it took so long for customers' accounts to be debited, it was often difficult to keep track of what transactions were outstanding and they could overspend without realising it, and incur overlimit fees.

So now that the system is 'live' what happens is when you've put your pin in the machine/put your card details on a website and hit confirm, is that instead of the retailer 'asking' the bank if you've got the money, they're 'telling' them "Joe Bloggs is buying something for €20". If it's a case that you don't have the money then it's a case of computer-says-no and the transaction is declined. Otherwise, it's assumed that the purchase has been completed so your balance is reduced by that amount and you'll see "18SEP DEBIT CARD" on your mini statement, or online banking. This is referred to as a shadow transaction - it's not an actual transaction, more like a post-it note saying that there's an outstanding transaction for this amount.

Basically as far as the bank know, you've spent the €20 on something, but they're still waiting to find out where and how before the money goes away forever. Then in a day or two's time they're told it was spent in the local shop so the transaction narrative changes to "POS18SEP CENTRA" so you know where that particular sum of money was spent. This is referred to as a posted transaction.

In this case, what's happened in your situation is that the transaction obviously got as far as the point where Apple 'told' the bank "Chris is buying something for €599" but then the connection died. So as far as the bank are aware €599 was spent somewhere, but it hasn't been 'claimed' yet. When this happens, usually data comes from the retailer a few days later basically saying 'my bad, we made a booboo' and the bank knows that the money no longer has to be set aside, so the shadow transaction disappears and your balance increases by €599.

What you're seeing on that statement is the shadow transaction. The retailer doesn't get the money until the transaction is posted, so that's why Apple won't give you a refund, because technically there's no refund to give. They haven't got your money. The problem is their systems haven't told the bank that you haven't got your iphone. My advice is to sit tight for few days, this will probably fall off the systems before Friday. If at any stage before then it shows up as posted (POS18SEP APPLE) that's when you need to get the ball rolling with a chargeback.

• Advertisement
Advertisement