Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domain Renewal/Redemption/Deletion...

• 25-10-2011 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I have (had) a domain name registered through an Irish hosting company. The domain was due for renewal on the 8th of August this year, but due to work commitments, the domain wasn't renewed until I returned on the 13th of August, 5 days later. I paid the invoice through Paypal, and the status of the invoice changed from Overdue, to Paid, and the next renewal date for the domain was updated to the 8th of August 2012. As far as I was concerned, the domain was now covered for a further 12 months, and the website was only a few weeks from completion, so everything was grand... or so I thought!...

5 days ago, the website was finished, and I passed on the FTP details to the developers, but they got back to me stating that they were unable to log in with the details I had provided them, so I tried to log in, and couldn't. I started to panic, and logged into my hosting account, but everything appeared to be fine, the invoice said 'Paid', and the next renewal date stated the 8th of August 2012, so I emailed the registrar and asked what the problem could be. I didn't receive a reply to my email the following day, and out of curiosity, I decided to check the 'Whois' information for my domain... I was shocked to discover that the domain was no longer registered to me!

3 days later, I received a reply from the registrar, stating that because the invoice wasn't paid on time, the domain 'was not successfully renewed with their upstream provider, and hence lapsed'.

I have searched their website, and the information on overdue domain invoices, states that if an invoice for a domain isn't paid within 29 days of the domain expiring, the domain will go into a 'redemption period'. Nowhere does it state that if an invoice is paid 5 days late, the domain will be deleted without any further correspondence, and as the invoice status changed from 'Overdue' to 'Paid', and the next renewal date was updated accordingly, I had no reason to believe that the domain was going to be deleted.

I assume that in the absense of a contract that stipulates what will happen in a situation like this, then the documentation on their website would probably form part of the contract, but as I stated, the only documentation available, states that if the invoice isn't paid within 29 days, then the domain will enter a redemption period, but as stated, the invoice was paid just 5 days late, yet they didn't renew the domain.

Does anyone know where I stand here, because I'm now faced with a bill of over €3000 from the developers, and I no longer own the domain that the website is supposed to be published to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭henbane

Has anyone taken possesion of the domain? If not, sort it yourself.

Otherwise, it's a case for lawyers as you're asking contractual questions so you're better off talking to a solicitor than wasting time on irrelevant internet opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 4 LetsNot

The domain has been registered elsewhere by someone else, so I'm screwed in that respect. I was just hoping someone might have an idea as to where I stand.

Thanks for the reply.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

As far as I know there is a grace period after a domain expires in which it cant be released back into the market which is at least 30 days after the renewal date so to the best of my knowledge seen as you paid it a few days after the renewal date there shouldnt be any problem with that and they should have renewed the domain. You also obviously have a record of the transaction via paypal also.

You should look into the grace period on domains to confirm what I said above first and gather your proof of payment etc together so you have a case sitting there if you are going to dispute it with them. In my opinion the mistake lies with them as they didnt renew the domain when it was paid for 5 days after the renewal, which still lies in the grace period. I have renewed some of my own domains within this grace period before due to being away or whatever and never had any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭condra

That's a lesson for us all to really make sure to dot our "i"s and cross our "t"s.
    With so many partys involved. I can't see you getting it back easily, but I wish you the best of luck.

Is contacting the new owner worth a shot? They might need a bribe. Horrible shady stuff, but you're running out of options.

Advertisement