Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

simple design help needed

Options
  • 03-11-2011 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

hey all

Ive done a basic web design course ages ago and know my way around the basics and then some.

im stumped on something though.

i had a website designed for me and the company scarpered before they could finish the parts that they did wrong.

Im looking at finding out how to change the font colour for the whole website. Its the same font for links and notmal text and headers.

the website is .php and style sheets

how do i do this? its driving me crazy.

VN

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Have a quick look through the css tutorials here

But basically, you need to set the color property in the stylesheet. If you can't find the css file, right click on your website page, View Source, and look for link rel="stylesheet" and the filename will be in the href property in the same line.

Have a look through the css and set the colours as you want, e.g.
    body {
    color: black;
    }

a {
    color: red;
    }

h1 {
    color: #3344ab;
    }

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Post the link to the site will be the easiest and I will show you where you need to make changes

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

if it's coded in a number of locations (with some consistency in naming) then a simple find/replace across the multiple files should work reasonably well (do backup before doing anything :))

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Assuming you know the basics of CSS etc, then what you should so is install the Firebug add-on for Firefor (it's already pre-installed in Chrome) and then you can easily see the CSS rules for each element.

To run firebug all you do is right click on a section you want to investigate and you will see a dialogue box open (F12 also opens it) that will give you all the info you require.

See the link to screenshot below for an example. Please note that the part I've highlighted in red is the CSS for a particular p tag on the website. In this case it has a CSS colour rule of -

* {
    color: #505050;
    font-family: Arial,Helmet,Freesans,sans-serif;
    line-height: 16px;
    }

It even displays the colour in a little box to give you an idea of what is going on.

The really cool thing about firebug is that it allows you to make real time changes to the web page there and then. You can change colour, alter things like padding and margins and even create new css rules. These only temporary changes that will disappear if you refresh the screen or close the browser. The changes are local to your machine so no one else sees them.

To make changes or add/ delete css rules it's just a case of double clicking one of the rules and enter in your new styling.

http://imageshack.us/f/36/unled1dk.gif/

After doing this and finding the correct CSS rule you can just make changes to the actual css file that is stored on your server. Make sure to create a back-up!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

The best thing to do would be to post a link to your site here and tell us exactly what you want. IF you would prefer to keep it private then you can PM me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement