Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Laws Question? Ask here!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 40,965 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

molloyjh wrote: »
    I just think that Lawes could put in a big hit without it leading to that.

i dont think Lawes could (note i didnt say should ;) ) change the way he tackles based on the player and position hes tackling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

molloyjh wrote: »

I'd need to see a longer clip of it as that one is just too short, but it did look (when I started looking for an offence) like it could well have been a no arm tackle.

It was Eden Park 2013 and Poite was the ref. Have a look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IxIQ2JxiX0

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    It was Eden Park 2013 and Poite was the ref. Have a look. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IxIQ2JxiX0

Ah holy Jesus, the reverse angle makes it perfectly clear he wrapped his arms there. Nothing wrong with that. Crazy decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Clearlier wrote: »
    This one (also on Carter) although no yellow is at least as bad a decision:

It was a shoulder charge not a tackle, it's a penalty alright.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

After 3:30 in Leinster V Glasgow on Saturday, Jordi was pinged for going in from the side even though the ball was well behind the hindmost foot. Does that not count, if the carrier still has his hand on the ball?

• Advertisement

dregin wrote: »
    After 3:30 in Leinster V Glasgow on Saturday, Jordi was pinged for going in from the side even though the ball was well behind the hindmost foot. Does that not count, if the carrier still has his hand on the ball?

Yeah the ball looked like it was in open play there

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,967 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

dregin wrote: »
    Yeah the ball looked like it was in open play there

He was pinged for being offside..

He was ahead of the back-foot, so the ball being out didn't matter , he was already offside.

I thought ref said he'd come in from the side, must have misheard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

Owens made the "in from the side" gesture alright. It was marginal either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Yeah, the offside point is a good one, but I don't think that's what Owen's signalled.

Owens doesn't like pedantic laws though, like the ball being past the foot. I've seen him pinging guys for doing that before.

• Advertisement

Most refs will ping the player if they go before they call that the ball is out, that's what I thought happened, even though the ball was clearly out.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The ref gave a scrum against us twice last night for the same thing - a player fumbled a pass backwards but the ball, on hitting the ground, bounced forwards (though not forwards of where the original contact with the player's hand took place). I didn't think the movement of the ball after the bounce could really be considered the responsibility of the player but I can't find anything to confirm or deny this.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

This the definition of a knock on from the IRB Laws app

"A knock-on occurs when a player loses possession of the ball and it goes forward, or when a player hits the ball forward with the hand or arm, or when the ball hits the hand or arm and goes forward, and the ball touches the ground or another player before the original player can catch it.
    ‘Forward’ means towards the opposing team’s dead ball line."

Clear sequence for a knock on is ball going forward from a player's hand / arm and THEN touching the ground or an oppo player before a re-gather.

Not your ref's sequence of the ball being dropped backwards from hand/arm, hitting the ground and then going forward. He's got it arseways.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

These were discussed elsewhere but thought we could see better discussion here..

World Rugby Laws Representation Group (LRG) considered a number of areas of the game where it had been agreed that law amendments were not required but that current law was to be enforced more stringently by referees, assistant referees and television match officials.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/34817.php#.VYG-bE3bLcs

http://laws.worldrugby.org/index.php?domain=9&language=EN

• Registered Users Posts: 24,816 ✭✭✭✭emmet02

Challenging players in the air - Law 10.4(i)

Play on – Fair challenge with both players in a realistic position to catch the ball. Even if the player(s) land(s) dangerously, play on
    Penalty only – Fair challenge with wrong timing - No pulling down
    Yellow card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player is pulled down landing on his back or side
    Red card – Not a fair challenge, there is no contest and the player lands on his head, neck or shoulder

Finally

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

emmet02 wrote: »
    Finally

I had a similar thought when I saw that. Referees have been too quick to evaluate the outcome without paying attention to the preceding action. There was a real danger that contests for high balls were going to be driven out of the game.

I think that they could have gone a little further though. I would have liked an explicit clarification of what happens to someone who tries to catch the ball but fails to get off the ground and takes out a player who is jumping for the ball. For my money it's not a fair contest and a yellow/red card but as the Finn Russell case showed there's not a lot of clarity within the general public about it.

I had a similar thought when I saw that. Referees have been too quick to evaluate the outcome without paying attention to the preceding action. There was a real danger that contests for high balls were going to be driven out of the game.

I think that they could have gone a little further though. I would have liked an explicit clarification of what happens to someone who tries to catch the ball but fails to get off the ground and takes out a player who is jumping for the ball. For my money it's not a fair contest and a yellow/red card but as the Finn Russell case showed there's not a lot of clarity within the general public about it.
    We, referees, were doing that as they were the guidelines passed down. We were being advised at referee meetings etc(that's all referees from junior level to pro)

Perhaps they should have clarified your second point but again it really should be up to referees discretion in those cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I'm glad they've reminded refs that players cannot join an attacking maul ahead of the ball carrier, it's the least-enforced rule in rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

We, referees, were doing that as they were the guidelines passed down. We were being advised at referee meetings etc(that's all referees from junior level to pro)

Perhaps they should have clarified your second point but again it really should be up to referees discretion in those cases.

I could have written that better. I'm glad that the emphasis on the outcome is shifting a little - a bit too utilitarian for me!

On the second point in the end it's all up to referees judgement - I just think that it would have been helpful to clarify what should happen when a player on the ground hits a player in the air where there's no obvious intention to hit the player. IMO, the player on the ground owes the rest of the players on the pitch a duty of care to either be sure that he won't be taking someone out or to get into the air to catch the ball. There are others who would disagree with me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

It doesn't mention anything about being in the air though. So, like the Payne incident, he's in a realistic position to catch the ball but was sent off because he wasn't in the air also. So what does this mean for similar situations?

EDIT: Duh, seen Clearlier's has already asked that!

• Advertisement

I could have written that better. I'm glad that the emphasis on the outcome is shifting a little - a bit too utilitarian for me!

On the second point in the end it's all up to referees judgement - I just think that it would have been helpful to clarify what should happen when a player on the ground hits a player in the air where there's no obvious intention to hit the player. IMO, the player on the ground owes the rest of the players on the pitch a duty of care to either be sure that he won't be taking someone out or to get into the air to catch the ball. There are others who would disagree with me though.
    Is it not clarified there... That would be a penalty only as its a fair challenge with wrong timing...

World Rugby today announced the proposed changes to laws that will be looked at over the next few seasons. Any thoughts?

http://pulse-static-files.s3.amazonaws.com/test/worldrugby/document/2015/09/05/0b9c59b0-bd64-449d-94be-6d6ef938f7f2/150906_Law_Trials.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 23,709 ✭✭✭✭phog

World Rugby today announced the proposed changes to laws that will be looked at over the next few seasons. Any thoughts?

http://pulse-static-files.s3.amazonaws.com/test/worldrugby/document/2015/09/05/0b9c59b0-bd64-449d-94be-6d6ef938f7f2/150906_Law_Trials.pdf

I like the idea of the 8 man scrum.

I'm not sure about downgrading the pen to two points, cynical play by the defence in their red zone might be rewarded. A strong ref might award a penalty try or issue a card but we've seen weak refs chicken out of using these punishments.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,084 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The Welsh premiership is trialling 6 point tries, two point penalties and 8 point penalty tries this season I read.

Not sure if that eight points includes an automatic conversion or if it's just to dissuade defenders giving away cheap penalties.

The Welsh premiership is trialling 6 point tries, two point penalties and 8 point penalty tries this season I read.

Not sure if that eight points includes an automatic conversion or if it's just to dissuade defenders giving away cheap penalties.
    The 8 points includes an automatic conversion...
    Many of these trials are being looked at in Wales this season

I think it's an automatic conversion.

I hadn't scrolled down far enough to see the law changes for Law 22

Good idea to allow the defending team who would previously have been awarded a 5m scrum to restart the game can now oot for a 5m drop out.

I think that has the potential to speed up the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

Player 1 brings the ball into contact and player 2 tackles on the ball, just 2 players involved. Player 1 fights to try and get the ball to deck and his body to the ground. Player 2 stys on his feet and stays attached to the ball leaning over player 1. Is player 2 entitled to fight for bal or must he release allowing player1 to place the ball back?

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Tackler has to release before competing for the ball.

A lot of the time rather than just letting to you'll see players throw their arms over their head really quickly to make it really obvious to the referee that they've released.

• Advertisement

shaungil wrote: »
    Player 1 brings the ball into contact and player 2 tackles on the ball, just 2 players involved. Player 1 fights to try and get the ball to deck and his body to the ground. Player 2 stys on his feet and stays attached to the ball leaning over player 1. Is player 2 entitled to fight for bal or must he release allowing player1 to place the ball back?
    Player two must release to compete for the ball.

Advertisement