Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does it mean to be Irish?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

creeper1 wrote: »
    You shouldn't. However its a case of one bad apple spoils the whole barrel. What are you? A prodestant? Get the hell out of here with your hate filled propaganda.

i'm sorry I can't even get into this debate with you. Your post is truly tragic.

I had a post written but really, when someone comes up with this rubbish, what is the point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muckety

You shouldn't. However its a case of one bad apple spoils the whole barrel. The vast majority of priest and religious people DO NOT abuse children. What are you? A prodestant? Get the hell out of here with your hate filled propaganda.

For every swine of peadophile priest there is a good honest and loving mother Theresa.

For the record, catholics just a two hundred years ago risked their very lives to practice their religion. They did it and they should be applauded for it.

But anyway that's ancient history we have the one night stands and single parents all over Ireland now. Like that;s GREAT PROGRESS for you.:rolleyes:

So being Irish means to be bigoted and unable to spell correctly? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

You shouldn't. However its a case of one bad apple spoils the whole barrel. The vast majority of priest and religious people DO NOT abuse children. What are you? A prodestant? Get the hell out of here with your hate filled propaganda.

For every swine of peadophile priest there is a good honest and loving mother Theresa.

For the record, catholics just a two hundred years ago risked their very lives to practice their religion. They did it and they should be applauded for it.

But anyway that's ancient history we have the one night stands and single parents all over Ireland now. Like that;s GREAT PROGRESS for you.:rolleyes:

The Great Mother Theresa had millions in the banks whilst her staff had to reuse syringes in her clinics. The ' poor' apparently werent deserving of what is a normal medical practice of not resusing syringes !

And let me ask you, for every paedophile priest, how many bishops and cardinals were protecting him and moving him around from parish to parish ?
    And also let me ask you, what would Jesus have done ?
    Well if he drove the money changers out of the temple, what would he have done with the mafia of Bishops and Cardinals who protected the paedo priests ?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭creeper1

What would Jesus do? Inspire more people to become priests so that there wouldn't be the current shortage. Maybe he'd allow them to marry. God only knows.

Before we go off on a tagent here, I was describing what it means to be Irish. Being Irish is associated with being catholic. Maybe I should say was.

It used to be the case that you could tell a catholic house by going into the living room and there above the fireplace was a picture of the sacred heart. That's no longer the case.

You try to make me apologize for bringing this up? NO way! I will never apologize for being Irish!

You cannot ask a similar question like "what does it mean to be Iraqi?" without somehow mentioning Islam. I am merely pointing this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

What would Jesus do? Inspire more people to become priests so that there wouldn't be the current shortage. Maybe he'd allow them to marry. God only knows.

Before we go off on a tagent here, I was describing what it means to be Irish. Being Irish is associated with being catholic. Maybe I should say was.

It used to be the case that you could tell a catholic house by going into the living room and there above the fireplace was a picture of the sacred heart. That's no longer the case.

You try to make me apologize for bringing this up? NO way! I will never apologize for being Irish!

You cannot ask a similar question like "what does it mean to be Iraqi?" without somehow mentioning Islam. I am merely pointing this out.

Clearly you know about as much about Iraq as you know about Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

So according to this thread, being Irish is about arguing over religion, yeah? :D

We've come a long way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

what does it mean to be irish?

stressed, exhausted, glued to the news, pissed off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'll merely point out that Iraq contains Shia and Sunni muslims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Being Irish means occasionally engaging in pointless naval gazing discussions packed with ridiculous generalisations about what it means to be Irish as opposed to say occasionally engaging in pointless naval gazing discussions packed with ridiculous generalisations about what it means to be Hungarian.

Nodin wrote: »
    I'll merely point out that Iraq contains Shia and Sunni muslims.

And Zoroastrians and Alevis and Mandaeists and Yazidis and Christians and Atheists and even some Jews..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

There were single mothers back in Devs golden age, they were just locked up, let's regress to that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭ruthies

bad2dabone wrote: »
    why should i respect rapists, paedophile-enablers and hatemongers?

No matter what has happened catholic church has also provided care and hope and comfort for those who have lost a family member or been poverty stricken>And if recall rightly
    The churches played an important part in the distribution of government and private relief. Local priests and ministers were widely praised for their role in helping the poor. Some churches also established their own relief committees to raise funds. The two Catholic bishops who were particularly involved were Archbishop Murray of Dublin and Archbishop MacHale of Tuam. Catholic aid continued beyond 1847, when many other forms of private relief had dried up. The amount collected is hard to quantify but it was probably more than £400,000. Most of this was distributed by local priests in the distressed areas. This avoided much of the expense and delay that marked Government relief.
    Because of its overseas network, the Irish Catholic church was able to attract money. Some of the largest amounts were raised by the Catholic parishes in Britain and the United States. The Tablet, the leading English Catholic newspaper, offered to act as a channel for English Catholics to send money to Ireland. By March 1847 Bishop Fitzpatrick in Boston had raised almost $20,000, mostly from local Catholics, though it was meant for distribution to all creeds in Ireland. Apart from donations from outside Ireland, priests in Ireland donated money for the famine poor. James Maher, the rector of the Irish College in Rome, sold his horse and gig for this purpose. The staff and students of Maynooth college made a donation of over £200.

Just because a bunch of scum latched onto the catholic church because they saw easy access to children does not condemn my religion thank you very much.
    There are in every religion across the board this kind of human and among the authorities also in every country of the world.
    But people only shouting about Catholic priests and ignoring the rest.
    What it means to be Irish looking forward always keeping a brave face,been proud of what ancestors died for and fought for.Never truly been over taken not losing spirit and been generous.
    Unfortunately its far and few between who actually give a damn about their nationality anymore.

Advertisement