Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

<35yrs, married, 2 toddlers, just finished at Smurfit... U.S. options??

• 25-02-2010 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

I've checked with USIT and they nixed me on any of the visas available, because I'm a "parent" :eek:

I was working in mortgages, went back to college to do a postgrad. Really want to move to the US but can't find a solution.

I applied for the DV lottery again, if that works that would be the ideal... but any other options? :confused:

I would really appreciate any help or suggestions. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Unless you're in school or marrying an American, the only other option is being hired by a company in the US and they sponsor your visa. You can see the different options available here:

http://dublin.usembassy.gov/non-immigrant_visas/visa-types-for-temporary-visitors.html

or for something more permanent:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/types/types_1326.html

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mr. 'H'

Hi, thanks for that. I've put my hat in the ring for the green card under the DV scheme.

I don't have enough of a specialty in my professional experience to qualify for a "work" visa - I think.

Still trying to figure out a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I saw a Smurfit lorry here in Seattle the other day.

If you've worked for them and left under good circumstances then that may be an option? just a thought.

(the best way is to find an american wife!)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Mr. 'H'

Thanks for the tip. Smurfit is the name of the business school at UCD - if I got a job working for the actual company then I could look for a transfer thru them but this is a long shot....

D'oh! I'm already married - to an Irish gal, so the American wife isn't an option ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭fionnmar

Hi Mr H....sorry to dampen it I have applied for DV for last 9 years and no luck...it truly is a lottery. Your best bet imho is definitely the H1 if you can get a company to sponsor you...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i was told the higher educated you are the higher your weighted in the green card lottery my mate applied last year for the first time has a degree and got to the 'final round' as he called it and he said its cause he had a degree

if this is true(and i dont know if it is i thought it was a straight up lotto) then your postgrad should help you alot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Mr. H wrote: »
    Thanks for the tip. Smurfit is the name of the business school at UCD

Ah, and I remember when he was just a guy making paper boxes...

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭whatever73

"Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" more like door closed I'm afraid

Advertisement