Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Amazon Lightning Deal - Logitech Harmony touch =£59.99

• 26-03-2015 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭

Logitech Harmony Touch - cheapest it has ever been, open for the next 5 hours but it may go out of stock sooner.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,999 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Pretty tempted but the reviews aren't great, but maybe that is relative to it being a £150 remote

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭jcrowbar

Nice one, thanks OP.

I'be been wanting to get one of these for a while now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,682 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Pretty tempted but the reviews aren't great, but maybe that is relative to it being a £150 remote

it probably is - if they were to review at this price there would be a difference. Is it just the amazon reviews you are reading?

I have the Harmony One (older model) and find it excellent. I recently got the Harmony 650 (currently £59) on a lightning deal for £39.99 so keep an eye out for that too...

ablelocks wrote: »
    it probably is - if they were to review at this price there would be a difference. Is it just the amazon reviews you are reading?

I have the Harmony One (older model) and find it excellent. I recently got the Harmony 650 (currently £59) on a lightning deal for £39.99 so keep an eye out for that too...

Well just looking at reviews generally around the web:

cnet - 2.5/5
    Pcmag - 4/5
    Endgaget - 8.5/10
    techradar 3.5/5

which aren't awful, but as I said not great.

Amazon its 3.5 stars as well. Normally with this kind of product people over hype how good they are on reviews as its obviously going to be a big step up over regular remotes and most people wouldnt have other high end remotes to compare it to!

Still tempted though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭bidiots

I had one and its a great piece of kit. Quality feel to it and very easy to setup. At that price, its a bargain imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

Well just looking at reviews generally around the web:

cnet - 2.5/5
    Pcmag - 4/5
    Endgaget - 8.5/10
    techradar 3.5/5

which aren't awful, but as I said not great.

Amazon its 3.5 stars as well. Normally with this kind of product people over hype how good they are on reviews as its obviously going to be a big step up over regular remotes and most people wouldnt have other high end remotes to compare it to!

Still tempted though!

Its a fantastic remote I install it for all my customers
    Part of the reason for bad reviews is lack of the control over exact setting on remote. The remote is designed to be used in an AV set up i.e av receiver> skyhd/blu ray/games console>tv/projector - if this is your set it is an almost perfect remote - besides this it is very good remote anyway - need good set up thats all

stevejazzx wrote: »
    need good set up thats all

like a lot of things, this is the critical thing - a lot of people won't / don't take the time to read the instructions (or go online) to get set up correctly and then blame the device when it doesn't work properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Shanegggg

What the integration with XBMC/UPC Horizon like?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

I have one and think it's great (my setup is AV receiver with multiple devices and 5.1 sound).

I also have XBMC/Kodi (running on Ubuntu) and use it for navigating that, you just need an IR receiver (the remote supports and I use Flirc which has XBMC/Kodi support)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭LowOdour

Anyone know if these can be configured to work with Squeezebox Duets? My remote for the receiver isn't charging correctly.

• Advertisement

The squeeze box duet is not controlled via IR (I think, from googling) so this remote won't work.

EDIT:
    There apps that can replace the remote with a smart phone
    Android - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.logitech.squeezeboxremote&hl=en
    iOS - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/logitech-squeezebox-controller/id431302899?mt=8
    Windows phone - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-gb/store/app/squeezebox-control/75943916-9a2d-e011-854c-00237de2db9e

I went ahead and bought one, my will is weak!

interesting to note that you dont pay the additional Irish VAT on lightning deals

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Mmm...tempted. have the 600 a few years now and love it although the buttons are starting to become a little unresponsive.

Anyone know how many devices this supports?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I bought one and then cancelled!

I have the Harmony One w/ blasters. I have a lot of gear in a closed front cabinet so really need the blaster aspect for my setup. A quick read and I think the new one would have worked with the blasters, perhaps any remote would.

But this suggests the Harmony One may be as good or better thant he Harmony Touch:
    http://www.engadget.com/products/logitech/harmony/touch/

So I think I'm glad a cancelled. The touch screen is a tad clunky and could be more responsive on the One. But other than that, I'm not sure how much of an improvement there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭SteM

LowOdour wrote: »
    Anyone know if these can be configured to work with Squeezebox Duets? My remote for the receiver isn't charging correctly.

I use this one on Android with my Boom and my Radio and it works well although you have to pay for it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.orangebikelabs.orangesqueeze

The remote that came with my Radio never worked properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

Thanks for highlighting this OP, I grabbed one to replace my very old Harmony 525 that has served me well for years!

The Ultimate One is coming up on the lightning deal in about half an hour, if anyone wants to hold fire and see how the prices compare.

There should be an overlap of about an hour with the two of them on lightning deal(presuming the Touch doesnt sell out in the meantime)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭keith_d99

adox wrote: »
    The Ultimate One is coming up on the lightning deal in about half an hour, if anyone wants to hold fire and see how the prices compare.

There should be an overlap of about an hour with the two of them on lightning deal(presuming the Touch doesnt sell out in the meantime)

Coming in @ £99.99

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Coming in @ £99.99

Yeah seen that. Went for the Touch ;59.99

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭surpy

Stupid upc horizon box making me have multiple remotes :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Back up to 110 GBP :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Thanks and I see your post 4 hours later :)

Mine just arrived. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,452 ✭✭✭sioda

Thanks op waiting on mine nice upgrade from the 600

you're welcome sioda.

the logitech harmony smart is on sale at £49.99
    the ultimate one is on sale at £99.99

both for the next 2 hours or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

I thought the logitechs were very pricey so went for a One 4 all remote. Very happy with it so far. It can do macros, learn IR from another remote and you can override any button with whatever you want. Not as fancy as the harmony but does the job.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-For-All-Control-Universal-black/dp/B0030GDLYS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427745508&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭dunleas

ablelocks wrote: »
    you're welcome sioda.

the logitech harmony smart is on sale at £49.99
    the ultimate one is on sale at £99.99

both for the next 2 hours or so.

Pulled the trigger on the Smart remote. Have one already a great piece of kit, ideal for kit in a cabinet. It uses RF via a hub, think the issue with this remote is the poorly designed app but the remote is 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

I ordered the Touch version but not so sure now I will like it!

Are there any other contenders that have Activities like the Logitech Harmony's that are considerably cheaper?

I really like my Harmony 525 and it does everything I need so really just want a slight update from that and I see the Touch as a bit of a gimmick and a step backwards maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,458 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I picked up the ultimate Harmony One last week from amazon warehouse for £68.
    I bought to replace a Harmony one and as a long time harmony remote user, (one, one+, 300 and 900) I have to say it is a really good remote!
    My only criticism is that the new Web based software setup is unable to import existing setups from the original harmony desktop software.
    Meaning that a full setup needs doing if you are a legacy harmony user but that itself is fairly simple unless one has multiple macros or custom edited commands.

Advertisement