Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S4 thread - See Mod Warning in Post #1

• 07-02-2013 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

Hope this is true ;

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/1799635/samsung_galaxy_s4_launch_will_be_march_15.html

MOD NOTE: This thread is about the Samsung Galaxy S4. It is not:
    • A penis measuring contest on how phone X is so much better than it (although reasonable comparisons are allowed).
    • A chance to complain about retail outlet or operator who are (not) supplying the S4.
    • An opportunity to spam, troll, flame or otherwise derail the thread.
    Failure to abide by the above will be treated with no tolerance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭leemaree

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm very much looking forward to this phone. Ties in nicely with my current contract expiring!

• Registered Users Posts: 44,876 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

No mention of a youm display, I want a youm display!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Samsung Galaxy S4 possible benchmark tips monster speed

A mysterious benchmark for an unnamed Samsung phone has surfaced online, prompting speculation that we're looking at speed tests and hardware details regarding the much-anticipated Galaxy S4.

As with all unconfirmed details, take this with a pinch or two of salt, but the device appeared on GLBenchmark under the moniker 'Samsung SHV-E300S', Techkiddy reports, along with performance results for the mystery mobile.

Those results are somewhat on the blinding side -- in the benchmark's 2.5 Egypt HD offscreen test, the phone suspected of being Samsung's next flagship chewed through 4,672 frames. The Nexus 4's results in the same test were 3,803 frames, suggesting Samsung's new toy is faster than the Google-brand heavyweight.

In a second test the E300S was narrowly bested by the Nexus 4, but trounced the Samsung Galaxy S3, which eight months on is still one of the fastest smart phones money can buy.

The System information for the phone shows that it's running Android 4.2.1 and has a 1,920x1,080 display, both of which are expected specifications for Samsung's next top-of-the-line mobile.

The processor looks like it could be a Qualcomm chip rather than a Samsung-built Exynos model however, which would be a departure for the South Korean tech giant, as the Galaxy S3 played host to the company's Exynos 4 chip.

There's no way yet to know if these benchmarks really describe the S4, but they certainly point to a highfalutin Samsung phone in the works. The S4 has been tipped to make its grand entrance in mid-March, so we may not have long to wait.

Also, supposedly there is going to be a physical home button but no S Pen stylus. Release date is rumored to be mid/late March.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

SuprSi wrote: »
    I'm very much looking forward to this phone. Ties in nicely with my current contract expiring!

sigh i gotta wait till the s5 i think!

Isn't there something about the s4 being called something else though as 4 rhymes with death or something in asia or the number 4 is unlucky.

granted it hasn't hurt the iphone4 in asia or so it seems but ya never know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

This and the new Motorola X Phone have my attention right now, only 2 i can see coming that ill trade my Nexus for, though ill prob sway toward the X phone for timely updates tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭Nolimits

projectgtr wrote: »
    This and the new Motorola X Phone have my attention right now, only 2 i can see coming that ill trade my Nexus for, though ill prob sway toward the X phone for timely updates tbh

The X phone probably won't be a Nexus, so won't receive Nexus like updates but should be a hell of a lot faster then HTC/Samsung et all.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭natnifnolnacs

I wonder have they pushed the s4 release because of the s3 sudden death problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭SuprSi

The new Sony Xperia Z looks really good. Exellent specs and in a very attractive package. Doesn't come with Android 4.2 just yet but it's apparently on the way.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/mobile-phones/sony-xperia-z-review-50010121/

Looks a viable option too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I wonder have they pushed the s4 release because of the s3 sudden death problems?

Hardly that. Samsung tends to aim for annual releases, so the motherboard issues aren't affecting the release plans for the s4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

A 1080p display is reaching overkill level. I know there's a HTC one out already and that the sheer power of phones now make it possible but it seems to be a bullet point as much as an actual feature. I'd prefer the processing power and RAM being spent on things other than an increased resolution, at least for one more generation of devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Syferus wrote: »
    A 1080p display is reaching overkill level. I know there's a HTC one out already and that the sheer power of phones now make it possible but it seems to be a bullet point as much as an actual feature. I'd prefer the processing power and RAM being spent on things other than an increased resolution, at least for one more generation of devices.

I agree with you about the 1080 display. But I would like to see them concentrate on battery life more than RAM or CPU. I think this is area where phones are falling down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Wonder how long before the networks get this... Tempted to go for an S3 upgrade now but could wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭damul

3rdDegree wrote: »
    I agree with you about the 1080 display. But I would like to see them concentrate on battery life more than RAM or CPU. I think this is area where phones are falling down now.

Totally agree on batteries, Id be happy if battery life was the only thing improved in next phones released

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

damul wrote: »
    Totally agree on batteries, Id be happy if battery life was the only thing improved in next phones released

But they are, it's just the hardware is needing more power. Take for instance the 2100mAh in the Galaxy S3, this is collosal, but then the screen is also huge. I don't care as long as it lasts the day, which it does

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

PogMoThoin wrote: »

But they are, it's just the hardware is needing more power. Take for instance the 2100mAh in the Galaxy S3, this is collosal, but then the screen is also huge. I don't care as long as it lasts the day, which it does
    And also allow a removable battery. I've 2 spare fully charged batteries for when there needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I'm due an upgrade, I can't decide to get an s3, a note 2, or wait for the s4. Bah!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

I'm barely into 6 months of my 18-month long contract with meteor, got a galaxy note 2 and its perfect for me, the best phone ive had by far. I'm using it as a phone, mp3 player and a tablet it performs amazingly for me I'm so happy.

I reckon the only upgrade I will be getting will be a 64gb micro SD card and the spare battery charger system (just to be sure!) Otherwise I would not be ready to go back to a smaller phone, no matter how much the processor is upgraded!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭Alpha Dog 1

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    I'm due an upgrade, I can't decide to get an s3, a note 2, or wait for the s4. Bah!
    If you do upgrade now make sure to get a 12 month contract, don't lock yourself into 24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

If you do upgrade now make sure to get a 12 month contract, don't lock yourself into 24 months.

In an ideal In an ideal world where I wasn't broke I'd get a 12 month contract, unfortunately, I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Nolimits wrote: »
    The X phone probably won't be a Nexus, so won't receive Nexus like updates but should be a hell of a lot faster then HTC/Samsung et all.

Id say 99% it wont be a Nexus, but it will be a Google phone so im expecting allot of support on Google`s end.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

leemaree wrote: »

I don't think we'all hear anything during mwc . Last year they pretty much kept it under wraps I don't think they'll do any different this year. They want all the focus on their own show.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yea would agree, don't think sammy will be saying anything during MWC as that's what 'Unpacked' is for.

Also cant see the new CPU running at 2GHz, say 1.7 GHz or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Yep, The Verge is going as fas to say it will 'definitely' be the 14Th.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/18/4002008/galaxy-s-iv-definitely-will-be-announced-on-march-14th-sources

• Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

14TH MARCH OFFICIAL

gsmarena_002.jpg

• Advertisement

Advertisement