Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Arc

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

It made me sick to see Dar Re Mi thrown out two years ago.

The greatest injustice I've ever seen in racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

UrbanSea wrote: »
    It made me sick to see Dar Re Mi thrown out two years ago.

The greatest injustice I've ever seen in racing.

Agreed Urban. I often think that the only reason why Dylan Thomas kept the Arc was because if they'd thrown him out, it would've gone to the English-trained Youmzain ;)

I was delighted that Frankie gave Dar Re Mi a bad ride in the BC after Jimmy got jocked off after the Arc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

Lemaire isn't that bad. The race was a nightmare last year, hopefully there won't be a Midas Touch falling back trough the field and the Foy this year was all about preparing the horse for the Arc. He got her to do something that she would probably need to do on the big day and she proved she is up to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭hucklebuck

Agreed Urban. I often think that the only reason why Dylan Thomas kept the Arc was because if they'd thrown him out, it would've gone to the English-trained Youmzain ;)

Poor auld Youmzain, loved him, shame he always found one too good in the Arc, being beaten by no more than 2 lengths by horses rated 128+ and two modern superstars

• Advertisement

Pity Youmzain couldn't do it any time apart from Arc day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Hawk Wing 2

Pity Youmzain couldn't do it any time apart from Arc day.
    didn't he win a group 1 in Germany or somewhere?

Think it was in Italy or something. But he was consistently beaten by group 1 horses whenever he came up against them outside of the Arc.

I remember a run where he was beaten in the Grand Prix de Saint Cloud. Spanish moon is a good horse,but not a top gr.1 performer.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

didn't he win a group 1 in Germany or somewhere?

He sure did, I should know I gave him a fooking peach of a ride :D

He also won the Grand Prix de Saint Cloud on Irish Derby day 2008 beating Soldier of Fortune

• Advertisement

Don't think it's a betting race for me.

I'd like to see Treasure Beach go actually. I'd imagine his running will be kept to America now though,they love to see a nice colt go over and grad a grade 1. No doubt he'll be standing in Kentucky rather than here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭tryfix

Delighted he runs it makes the race all the more interesting, he will take all the beating, doesn't run a bad race and the best of the older horses for me. Will pick one of Reliable man, Nathaniel or Galikova as a saver when running plans and ground conditions become clear.

Edit: I'll wait until i see who's riding him, Joseph no thanks, Seamie yes please.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭smartaform

tryfix wrote: »
    Delighted he runs it makes the race all the more interesting, he will take all the beating, doesn't run a bad race and the best of the older horses for me. Will pick one of Reliable man, Nathaniel or Galikova as a saver when running plans and ground conditions become clear.

Edit: I'll wait until i see who's riding him, Joseph no thanks, Seamie yes please.

I'm very happy he's going for the ARC. No doubt he will then go for the BC.
    At the start of the season, I felt Fallon was probably the best jockey for SYT, I still feel this way......

Don't think it's a betting race for me.

I'd like to see Treasure Beach go actually. I'd imagine his running will be kept to America now though,they love to see a nice colt go over and grad a grade 1. No doubt he'll be standing in Kentucky rather than here

Get on Galikova you mug!! I have been tellin ya long enough :D

Haha I'm not going near her I''m afraid :cool:

Haha I'm not going near her I''m afraid :cool:

Afraid that you will be laughing all the way to the bank? For once!!!:D

Brrrrrt/.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I said it on another forum a month ago or more - Nakayama Festa is a bet at 33/1. Even small stakes, he's a bloody good horse and too big in the betting from the looks of it. Actually, I'm going to take a piece of it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 baazzaa

Its a tricky race this year, not one of the hopps of the page but I have it down to two horses

So you think-because he has what it takes for an older horse to win this,tons of ability

galikova- I think there is alot of improvemnet in this one and with good ground shell be even better.

of the rest -I just think it very hard to win on your second attempt, so im struggling to back sarafina, Very hard to win it twice so workforce I cant have plus hes coming in of the badk of two defeats,(but he does suprise)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

i've narrowed it down to three horses I like: Snow Fairy, Meandre, Treasure Beach. I was at Leopardstown when So You Think won and I keep coming back to the fact that Snow Fairy was closing and would have had him with an extra furlong. Meandre will be suited by faster ground and although beaten by Reliable Man in their last race it looked to me like Maxine Guyon was being easy on the horse at the finish, I like the way Meandre travels in his races. Treasure Beach as e/w bet at big odds. Really impressive on the win at the Curragh and then beaten in France but I get the impression after watching that race that Treasure Beach did not realise it was in a race, way out in front with Seville as if they where riding a works,But then goes on to win impressively in Arlington at a shorter distance. I noted that the horse wasnt really picking up speed till the last hundred yards being more suited to 1m 4f instead of the 1m 2f. Interesting stat for every one. 16 of the last 18 winners came from single figure draw and last years first five home were all came out of single figure stalls. Good Luck on your horses!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,814 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

not sure if masked marvel is good enough but 14s not a bad ew price
    and it has been supplemented for 100k
    looked really good in the leger but much better opposition here

having just watched last years race again i do think sarafina might
    be very hard to beat http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpV5BOj9VRw&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL55098727FE30A9CE
    the fact that she was badly hampered around 6f out and to finish
    like she did was something else
    if shes a little closer to the pace and the gaps appear she'll be awful
    hard to beat and shes as high as 4s and as low as 5/2 with lads which
    is a good sign imo
    i agree too with that nakayama festa is just too big at 25s now considering
    only beaten a head by workforce last year yet over 3 times the price

Meandre is the real stats horse however I've backed Galikova as she will be receiving all the allowances and looks like 1m 4f is her optimum trip. I'm not confident of anything in the race and I've already been burnt with the retirement of Pour Moi who I believe would have won this race.

I may have a saver on Meandre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Montjeu

This Arc has been severely diminished without the participation of Pour Moi and Nathaniel but an interesting race all the same.

Very hard to pick the winner but one thing glaringly obvious is that Treasure Beach is overpriced at 40/1. 1st and 2nd in two Derbys over 12f and won't mind quickish ground. Add in the weight allowance and the record of 3 year old colts and he is worth a shout at the odds.

Sarafina is a classy mare and I would love to see a Zarkava-esque performance from her. Hiruno D'Amour is an interesting sort aswell. I might be missing something with SYT but he is one I would strongly avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Think Ill have a couple of points on the two Japanese horses.
    They are overdue a big win in Europe - I know its not sound reasoning but it looks a fairly weak Arc with Pour Moi and Nathaniel out.
    Apparently, Hiruno Damour has been scorching up the gallops.

I said So You Think all along so I'll stick with him. Really like Reliable Man and Galikova and see them as the dangers.

Just get on Galikova lads, I agree that Treasure Beach is a huge price and should be on the premises. So You Think is far too skinny at 4/1, not convinced he has the middle distance speed/stamina combo nor that he properly gets 1m4, the further he went the more likely he was to get chinned by Snow Fairy.

Might do Galikova, Snow Fairy, Treasure Beach SFC.

Still got my 31 about Galikova :)

Anyone think O'Brien could do the 1,2,3 he has no duds in the race they are all top class horses. St Nick was a disappointment in the King George but the slow pace didn't help, it wouldn't be a surprise to see him run on for a place. So You Think and Treasure Beach should be in the mix and have top class Gp1 form on good ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 baazzaa

To answer your question no I dont think he can do the 123.
    The best of them is so you think by a long way, I dont overly rate treasure beach, I think he was slightly flattered by his second to pour moi .Coolmore main hope of winning this was Pour Moi,
    We would all be ,mad to ignore so you think, if any of the older colts can win this its him,there isnt an outstanding 3ry colt in it this year at all.Pour Moi was it and was held in high regard,

When you look back over the past 12 years you see a list of winners the majority that were really were top class horses,Hurricane Run, Dylan Thomas, Zarkava, Sea the Stars(now one of the all time greats), you have sindarr , rail link, montjeu, lamtarra.

What they all had in common, was pure class, simple, plus great jockeys and great trainers,

All this information points to the picking of the class horse in the race, the one that should deserve his name ecthed along side these horse,
    That horse is So you Think,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

tryfix wrote: »
    Anyone think O'Brien could do the 1,2,3 he has no duds in the race they are all top class horses. St Nick was a disappointment in the King George but the slow pace didn't help, it wouldn't be a surprise to see him run on for a place. So You Think and Treasure Beach should be in the mix and have top class Gp1 form on good ground.

So You Think is the best horse in the race. Unfortunately for the horse he has been ridden wrong in every single race since obrien has had him.
    This horse prefers to be dropped in behind and produced late. Not ridden from the front and having questions asked half a mile from home. His best run was beating Workforce when he was produced late by Seamie.
    I think being drawn wide will really play to SYT strength as he will have to be held up and come past horses. Luck in running is huge here obviously but i expect him to win in what looks an average Arc without Pour Moi.

Advertisement